Jai Alai IPA - White Oak | Cigar City Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Reviews: 406 | Ratings: 1,906
4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: A dark murkey copper color with little light peaking through sits bellow the finger tall kahki colored head. As it falls into beer it leaves a coat of lacing on the impieral pint glass thick enough to measure.

S: Oak and vanilla with staying power at first impression. A raisin bread and cracker malt aroma and grapefruit, piney hops.

T: On the first sip the woody oak and vanilla flavor is upfront but not overpowering the other flavors. Firm grapefruity bitterness is the next thing grabbing the attention of the pallet and it follows through to the end. The flavors are distinct at cooler temperatures, but as it warms up the oak imparts more flavor and gives the impression of higher bitterness.

M: A moderate amount of body (i get the impression from the oak?) with lower carbonation and a tingly mouth feel from the oak barrel.

O: A very complex and balanced beer. Oak and IPAs have the potential to go really really bad, but this one hit the spot on a HOT day. Cheers to JesseLara for this beer as an extra!

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to Pittsky for the opportunity to try this.

A: Dark copper. Thick white head. Very sticky lacing.

S: Lots of oak. In fact, it's hard for me to pick out any hop aroma at all. If I almost get my nose wet, I can begin to pick out some tropical, citrus notes. Nice nose...has a bite to it. Can certainly tell this has been aged on oak. Harkens back to my grandparent's wood burning stove during the wicked Florida winters...50 degrees? Better bundle up.

T: Hops make themselves known and blend in well with the oak flavors. Bitter and spicy. More tropical than citrus in the taste. I like it...different for sure.

M: Medium with good carbonation. Nothing too special.

D: Good, but I can't see myself drinking more than one in a sitting.

Nice warming beer which isn't something that I would normally say about an IPA. I like it. Thanks again goes to Jesse for including this along with some other cool and interesting extras. Koala bear..how the hell did it know that? Amazing.

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a Sweetwater pint glass

A: Pours a cloudy orange amber color but on the lighter side with a half finger head than leaves a thin lacing after only a few seconds.

S:Smells like a pina colada. tropical fruit flavors, vanilla, light off coconut, citrus..interesting

T: this blew me away....nothing like any IPA I have ever had. The oak hits you hard first then it transitions into a smooth smooth vanilla flavor and finishes with a little bitterness..bonus is the burp gives you a little pine.

M: creamy, medium bodied, just feels right

O: This is a great rendition on an IPA. The vanilla white oak really compliments the hops and bitterness well, its not something you would session all night to me only because it is slightly sweet on the tongue but damn is it good. CCB makes me happay, happay, happay.

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%

Reviewing from memory, and thanks to the ever-generous Three Fishes for sending this along. So many winners in that box. Unfortunately, this one tended towards the back of the pack. Can't beat the Jai Alai backbone, but I picked up on a strong tropical smell evocative of Coppertone. Can't say I know what Coppertone tastes like, but i have to think the coconut oil aftertaste White Oak delivers has to be pretty close. The beer still managed to be refreshing and suitable for summer. Perhaps paired with the right food would have provided a major a-ha moment, but as it was, it was merely OK.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Nice clearish amber colored pour with a beautiful layer of thick white foamy head.

Smell is a good blend of bitter hops with a hint of citrus. The flavor is DOMINATED by oak. I'm really amazed how the wood flavors come through here. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed by this brew - particularly after having the regular Jai Alai and loving it. Its not bad, just a bit underwhelming. I think that if this a bit less "woody" in flavor it would be much much better.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a can, dated 09/09/14 into my tulip. Pours a clear golden copperish orange color, thick 2 fingers of tan colored head. Great lacing as the head slowly falls. Has an earthy aroma and maybe some intense tropical fruits. The taste is totally different in a good way. A little tropical fruit when I first sip, but then then white oak really shines thru! The flavor really transforms into this woodsy, vanilla toffee ale that's just fantastic. Very easy to drink, and no noticeable alcohol burn. A damn fine example of a wood aged IPA, one. Of the best I've tasted actually. Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Pours a light amber-orange with a good finger of white head lasting for a while.

S: Wonderful citrus hop aroma. Vanilla and just a hint of orange. Light caramel malt and Oak

T: Sweet vanilla followed by orange then some oak. Mellow hop finish. As I drink this, more flavors come out. I would like a little less oak in the finish

M: Slightly sticky. Nice carbonation

D: Wish I had a case. I was a wine guy long before a beer guy so I really enjoy the use of oak.

Big thanks to Thorpe for this treat.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Really great beer. Finally got some to try some of this. My can is only 7 days old. Man it doesn't get much more fresh then this.

Can't say I prefer this to reg Jai Alai but it does stand up there.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12oz can. 5/23/16 can date. Appearance: Deep golden, touch of orange, cloudy, with a thick off white foam head that lingers with nice lacing. Aroma: Strong tropical fruit notes of pineapple, mango, and some berry, intertwined with with a light toasted oak. Very nice. Taste: Moderate caramel malt sweetness, blended with strong hop flavors of grapefruit and orange citrus, with a touch of light toasted oak and vanilla throughout that peaks in the swallow. Bitterness is moderately strong and seems somewhat muted from the original jai alai Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Finish: Dry tannic finish with some tacky resin. Toasted oak comes thru retronasally. Overall: Really nice take on an already great beer, by introducing the oak for added flavor and complexity that does not overpower. Well balanced between the great hop aroma and flavor against a light but complementary toasted oak. While the bitterness seems a little muted from the original, the overall complexity of this increased

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

I am very lucky to have two uncles who live about twenty minutes away from Cigar City and they happened to be coming home to Cleveland and surprised me with a growler of this beer! I told them that I love stouts and IPA's so I was very happy when they pulled this out of the cooler!

I poured part of the growler into my DFH snifter to find a nice golden amber body with a nice one inch white head. The aroma was prominent with the citrus and oak with hints of the hops.

The taste is excellent, I'm pretty sure that this is the first Oak Aged IPA that I have ever had and I was very surprised. The citrus notes hit you first with some malts in the middle and hints of the oak at the end. This is another example of several different flavor profiles blended together so well. There is also some nice hints of sweetness in there that leave you wanting to drink more. This medium body beer was easy to drink and I easily put down the mini 32oz growler with ease.

Overall a great IPA and I really enjoyed sitting on the deck tonight enjoying this beer and I hope with my uncle living in the area that I get more great beers from Cigar City every time he comes home!

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

A slightly hazy ruby red amber with a finger of fluffy foam poured into my tulip. Nose reveals a touch of sweet strawberry, blood orange, creamy vanilla and custard filled pastry. Tasty is creamy and refreshing with a light hop bite as well as a touch of tannins from the oak the the finish. The taste is nearly as complex as the nose but does have some red fruit along with bitter citrus peel and a nice dry malt taste. Very nice ipa and easily drinkable as well.

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

Medium amber and clear with minor head and good lacing.

Malty, citrus, sweetness, piney and a bit tropical.

Malt, citrus, tropical, oak, and resinous finish.

Mouthful is medium and clean. Carbonation is medium to low. Finish is dry.

I like this beer over the regular jai alai as the oak adds a nice note. That being said, it is not juicy enough for me but I would still recommend it to others. It is balanced and easy to drink. The hop finish could be toned down a touch more but that is debatable.

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

Many thanks to BPreston for the chance to try this one. CCB doesn't dissapoint here- another solid gold beer.

Poured into my Dfh snifter- nearly opaque dark orange color with crazy head that fills to the top of the glass, and stays around forever. Crazy great retention. 2 feet away I can smell the coconut grapefruit scent coming off this bottle- major tropic fruit scents. Taste- blood orange fruit, coconut, lemon citrus, breads malt flavor. Wow! The tropical sour flavors hit the back of the palate last, minutes after the taste. I can still smell the coconut scent.

Mouthfeel- creamy smooth mouthfeel, this gets better and better.

Drinkability- only issue here is to keep myself from drinking this all day every day.

I'll say it....this is the best IPA I have ever had.

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received this bottle in yet another incredible box from Palmej1. Thanks Jacob! 12oz bottle into my Brugges Zot chalice.

The beer pours an appealing copper color with a finger of white foam. The head recedes leaving a thin white coaster and some very nice lacing. I can smell the wood in this beer immediately, sweet biscuity malt and citrus hops round out the nose. The taste is an initial blast of bitter citrus. Orange, pineapple and mango dominate. The malt profile provides a nice sugar cookie backbone, but the hops are showcased here. The oak persists throughout, however, and while it is initially interesting, I think that after awhile it takes away from the experience. Feel is medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. As the beer warms it becomes creamier. Overall this was pretty good. I think I prefer my IPA without the wood though, as I like the regular version of Jai Alai better than this iteration. If you like your IPA with oak seek this out.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Light bronze in color with minimal head thT dissipates to a fine lace after a few sips. Nose shows a bit of fruity sweetness with subtle hop notes. Taste is citrusy, maybe fruity pebbles, with a surprising lack of wood flavor. However the wood manifests itself with a dry finish. Very refreshing and drinkable.

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%

Finishing up my last one. poured into a Duvel Tulip.

a:decent off-white head with pretty good retention. reddish amber body. some lacing

s: this is why i put it in the tulip. when i was at the brewery, they opened up and threw down 4 of these bottles on the crate. little did i know of the surprise that was in store: i took a sniff and i was blown away! it was only then did i notice that it was the white oak aged jai alai. so glad that i was exposed to it cause i didn't even notice it was on sale either and probably would've bypassed it completely. i really could smell this all day. if it was a shampoo, i would make sure my gf used this constantly. the white oak completely takes the nose to the next level, it starts with the hop cirtus sweetness and notches it all the way up to pineapple as well as giving it a bit of a coconut-y and vanilla vibe. as SpeedwayJim mentioned, it's like a pina coloda... with a few trees around. not the most complex but just very pleasant.

t:sugary sweet with sweet fruits and citrus. a bit of piney hop bitterness lingering on the back. doesn't quite live up to the nose but still very nice. The White Oak certainly kicks the hops down a notch, which could be bad as it is an IPA and that's what most are looking for.

m: moderate carbonation, medium body. as expected for an ipa aged on oak.

d: very tasty but u cant really drink too many of these i think. not really a session as much as a special treat.

the fact that i first had this while in the cigar city brewery and that it was so unexpected may have bumped this a bit higher, but i really enjoyed the few, really fresh bottles i had of this.

3.32/5  rDev -20%

Received as an extra in a trade with brewpaab. Thank you! I have had regular Jai Alai which I think is amazing and the Humidor series which I also really enjoy. Poured into my Fantome Tulip.

50th Review for me!

Appearance: Pours a beautiful orange color with a light tan uncontrollable tow and a half finger head. Extremely active carbonation and the head keeps building, over three fingers now. This is one of the most active beers I have ever poured, and definitely the most active in this style. Starting to get a little bit annoying, maybe I should have used a more open glass.

Smell: The smell of cut oak hits me immediately. I love that smell. Some nice citrusy fruity notes follow.

Taste: Going to be a while before I get the chance to taste this beer. Everything is blended very well in the taste, most things are not too distinguishable from one another. The bitterness shows up a little bit on the back end. I feel the oaking of this beer has made it too smooth, no bite that I like in my IPAs and the fruity bouquet of flavors present in the original is almost lost to the oak in this version.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy for an IPA, carbonation has calmed down after the head dissipated, I wouldnt call it flat but would appreciate more carbonation.

Overall: Not a huge fan of this one. I feel that oak is a very hard flavor to successfully incorporate into an IPA, I do not Jai Alai is very well suited for the overbearing flavor of oak. I love the original, just not the oakiness.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a pint glass pours a simply impressive two finger fluffy head that leaves some serious lace on the glass, pale yellow in color with heavy little carbonation bubbles, you can't make a beer look any better. Smell is pretty funky nothing like I have smelled before, possibly oak wood fragrance with a sweet undertones of perfume. Taste is just like smell, this has a bready funky earth taste to it, hops up front with a tangy earth wood taste towards the finish with a hop bitterness towards the end. Overall a simply different and strange tasting brew and I simply enjoyed it outstanding.

4.04/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz can, poured into snifter.

Pours very similar to regular jai alai. Nice copper, darker orange hue. Excellent 1-2 finger head with great lacing.

Smell is similar to a barleywine, definitely heavy sweet maltiness. Not too much hops in the nose, but that slight dill pickle smell is coming through, nothing over powering. Also getting some oak. As it warms up, getting some slight honey and nectar.

Definitely getting that oak in the taste. Wood and oak. subtle juicy hops comes through similar to the regular jai alai, but less dominate.

Mouthfeel appears to be pretty silky and slick. Reminiscent of a barleywine.

Not sure how this compares to regular jai alai, but don't think I care for it as much. Getting some hints of the regular jai alai as far as juicy hops is concerned. But with some wood and oak added. Definitely worth checking out.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A= Light amber color nice foamy head, with lots of lacing.

S= I had the regular Jai Alai right before this one and that one didn't have much of a nose. This one however has a real powerful nose smells like tropical fruit and vanilla really stand out you also smell the oak in this one.

T= The taste is very nice really like this one the oak blends well with the hops and the vanilla really good.

M= Medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

D= Really nicely done haven't had a IPA like this one really like the oak tasted nice. Went down smooth would love to get more of this one.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Bottle Date: 15 Aug 2012. Review Date: 21 Aug 2012.

A: Fluffy white head on a copper body

S: Sweet bitter citrus hops, oak, smoke.

T: really sweet and smooth, the hoppy taste is well-tempered by the oak treatment. smokey on the back end.

M: Medium with low carbonation. At first, i thought more carb would help the beer, but as i drink it i feel like the low carb and decent weight help the taste come through.

O: Fantastic. I will be having this plenty as long as they can keep it in stock! I would recommend seeking this out or trading for it. Definitely on par with the best of them. Much better than the untreated jai alai, not that the untreated version was bad at all.

Upon pulling off the cap, I only noticed a slight amount of hissing coming from the tiny 12oz bottle neck. I poured this into my English Imperial pint glass and was left with a surprising three finger thick tan head that slowly diminished to just a trace after a few moments. As I hold my glass up to the light there is a deep amber appearance almost a toast color with some haziness. On the swirl there is a decent amount of lacing that is slowly creeping down the walls of my glass.

Right off the start something reminds me of a Orange Julius. Very bright citrus with some creamy undertones and a huge nose of wood pencils. I am guessing the creamy smells come from the wood which can impart vanilla.

Oranges are front and center here with lots of woody earthy notes that blend together very well. Very clean and fresh tasting with tropical fruits, vanilla, and Chinese food duck sauce. A delicious long finish that is semi-sweet and makes me keep coming back for more. This is a nice spin on a old beer good job CCB.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured into my over sized Founder's snifter.

Liquid is a cloudy amber with a fingers width of off white head. I let it settle a bit before I sniff. A good amount of lacing helplessly clings to my glass. Pleasant smelling. Tropical foot with a wood kick. A huge whiff of stone fruit that is quickly beaten down by a cedar stick. Quite interesting. Wood dominates my palate. Stone fruit slowly follows. The caramel of the malt is in there but the supporting role is very small. A nice hop bite rounds out the sip. The aftertaste is so damn satisfying I pause long in between sips. The carbonation is dialed right in.

If I had more there would be a pile of bottles next to my kitchen sink. This is a winner.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled at the Cigar City Brewery less than a week ago, thanks to my great friends in Florida! 12oz bottle poured into a Snifter.

A: Color is amber gold, head recedes quickly and leaves a little bit of lacing.

S: Here is where this beer dominates. Heavy aromas of grapefruit, oak/wood, citrus, and hints of pineapple, peaches, and coconut. Amazing, i can't wait to indulge.

T: Very nice. All that comes through in the smell translates beautifully in the taste. Lots of grapefruit, well balanced, and the oak adds a one-of-a-kind complexity to this beer.

M: Light carbonation, smooth and light, very drinkable.

O: I am pretty wowed by this beer, never had an IPA with all these tropical flavors. So damn good.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic aroma - a great blend of barrel and dank hoppiness. Oaky vanilla and coconut come out strongly - great organic woodiness. The citrus and pine comes through and really blend well with the oak. The taste is more bitter than the nose suggesteed with grapefruit being the prominent flavor. The oak is very smooth - vanilla.

Awesome oak aged IPA - takes the base up a notch

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing