José Martí American Porter | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Porter

This is a heavily hopped high gravity porter featuring the hopping levels of an India Pale Ale with the rich and roasty malt profile of a robust porter. Heavy hop rates, while uncommon in today's porters were not unknown historically and recipes from the British porter producers of the 1800's evidence hopping rates far in excess of what is common for the style today.

Added by mcallister on 08-11-2010

4.71/5  rDev +16%

Bought a 12 oz. single for $2.99. Poured into my "Crab House" Pint glass.

A 2" thick frothy head on it takes several minutes to abate and leaves streaks all over the glass. The foam is still sitting on the glass 15 minutes after I poured.

A- Dark, dark, dark brown, almost black. No light getting though here. Looks great, more like a stout than a porter.

S- Nice roasted malts and coffee.

T- Absolutely the best porter I have ever had. I love stouts and that's usually my choice. Every once in a while I venture into a porter just to see. Usually a disappointment but not this time. Nice roasted nutty flavor and coffee present but not overwhelming. There's more hop taste in this than any other porter that I've ever had.

M- Great! Almost like a stout. Alcohol is well hidden but a rugged roasted flavor grabs your mouth by the balls and sticks around for quite some time.

D- Yeah, it's there. I could drink a bunch of these. Started the review after the pour and the glass will be gone by the time I'm done here.

Try one. I did and I'm not a huge porter guy but it was well worth it.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

Cigar City José Martí - On tap at the Tasting Room poured into a pint glass. 8% abv.

A: Pours a midnight brown with an active, frothy cap of tan foam. Leaves behind a good amount of spotty lacing.

S: Roasted malt, a mixture of herbal hops and semi-sweet chocolate.

T: Dry, overly roasted malt,dark chocolate, spicy herbal hops and ash. Finishes with lingering roast and bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with lively moderate carbonation.

Dl: An exceptional porter. Roasty, chocolaty, hoppy.

4.65/5  rDev +14.5%

appearance: Pitch black low head but nice streaking lace down the glass.

smell: heavy coffee

taste: Wow, another gem. nice big porter, lots of coffee flavor backed up by a heavy bitter hop dosage. Might be better than black butte

mouthfeel: heavy body

drinkability: Probably the best porter Ive had and one of the best CC's too.

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

A: Solid Dark Brown with a small 1 inch tan head. Nice tan lacing.

S: Amazing Caramels, Roasted Malts, Chocolate. Toasted Malts. Pleasant Citrusy Hop Aroma.

T: Amazing Depth of flavor. Bitter Chocolate. Burnt Cookies. Cocoa Powder. Very Hoppy. Chocolate Covered Orange Peels.

MF: Slick with a moderately heavy body. Moderate Carbonation.

D: Another amazing beer from Cigar City. This beer in many ways is similar to Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale but with more of a malty body and thicker mouthfeel.

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A: A wonderful dark brown color comes put of this bottle. A mildly aggressive pour leads to three fingers of thick, creamy tan head that lingers throughout the session. Lacing sticks and stays the whole time too.

S: chocolate malt hits the nose first and really is present throughout the nose. Really wonderful smell here.

T: very nice chocolate malt flavor followed the smell exactly as expected. Booze here is extremely well hidden.

M: Creamy goodness here as well with the booze hidden here too.

O: quite frankly this is my favorite porter. It's really too bad it's not available around these here parts.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

thrilled to be able to try another gem from ccb, my man todes sent me this one to knock off my list of ccb greats. poured cool and into a pint glass, this one was enjoyed on 10/01/2010.

what a big pour on this one. rich ark brown in color with a nice two finger head of creamy tan that stays on top for what seems like forever and leaves a ton of lacing on the sides of the glass.

aroma is to die for. rich roasted malts, warm cocoa and coffee, mixes with a deep resinous hop note and capped with a smooth dose of vanilla, wth is this thing? i am getting a bit confused now as i sip on it and pick up flavors that should not be blended together, but are and it works. rich dark chocolate and roasted coffee are mere accents to a wonderful citrus bouguet and warming roasted notes. really just sublime. hints of tobacco and leather come through as it hits room temp, and the long, smooth, rich and sweet finish defies any expectation of what was coming next.

overall i am unsure of what to make of this one, but for some damn reason i am in love with it. a wonderful beer.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Oh wow. I have to run, so I'll return to this soon and edit it with all the particulars, but to just summarize my notes, this tastes like some masterbrewer's private homebrew. From three centuries back in time.
Detectable yeast with complex and balanced esters, earthy and assertive hops, spot-on chocolate, coffee and roasted barley notes that are far and away from the blunt and deragotory shouting of flavours (sadly) in most American-brewed porters. Hazed opaque, deep, deeeep brown colour with reddish tints towards the glass's edges, rather than a flat black all the way through. Instant classic in my book, tastes REAL in a way that's hard to pin, just nothing is off, or excessive or blunt. The beer is a whole being, ingredients playing together really well. I loved this last year, but never reviewed it, and I think I may have fallen for it even harder this release. A must-try for Porter fans, and one of CCB's best brews, in my opinion (FL native here, too)!

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark brown bordering on black. You know, just like ...

Smell: Coffee! I smell coffee! There's some roasted malts and chocolate in here, but coffee dominates.

Taste: Coffee! I taste coffee! This is like alcoholic coffee, but better, because it's beer. The rich roasted malts come in, and then it finishes with a hop blast that reminds me that I'm not drinking cold coffee, but beer! This is just a blast to taste.

Mouthfeel: It's heavy and dense for sure, but not quite too dense. Great for the style, and it's not too carbonated which could be a major turn-off with the coffee flavor.

Drinakbility: Dangerously drinkable for 8%. A wonderful beer for after dinner, perhaps to enjoy with some biscotti.

This was my first Cigar City experience, and I'm looking forward to many more!

4.56/5  rDev +12.3%

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Another bottle from my haul that I brought back home over Xmas vacation.
First impressions: wow! Beautiful blackish color. Nice dark tan head that starts quite thick, then dissipates leaving a nice lacing on my glass.
The smell is hops up front, followed quickly by a somewhat earthy malt and maybe even some coffee.
The taste just confirms what my nose already knows. It's smooth, hoppy, malty, roasty...yeah, this one is a keeper.
I would believe you if you told me it was a black IPA.
Call it what you want...this is a beer that I am stocking up on next time I am in Florida.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%

On draft during CCB takeover at Coffee District. Watered down coffee in color with with 2 fingers worth of white foam. I was simply amazed by this brew, as I have never had or heard of the style. Tastes of hops at first, then the usual suspects of a porter emerge afterward. Smell is similar to taste, hoppiness and roasted malts. The name is so fitting. Thin bodied, carbonation throughout and very drinkable. Could be had all day like a session beer, but be aware of the creeping 8% ABV. Wonderful balance of both styles.

José Martí American Porter from Cigar City Brewing