José Martí American Porter | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Porter

This is a heavily hopped high gravity porter featuring the hopping levels of an India Pale Ale with the rich and roasty malt profile of a robust porter. Heavy hop rates, while uncommon in today's porters were not unknown historically and recipes from the British porter producers of the 1800's evidence hopping rates far in excess of what is common for the style today.

Added by mcallister on 08-11-2010

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

32 oz growler into in a pint glass. Thanks go to Jw347 for this in a recent trade.

Pours black in the glass, with 2 stiff fingers of mocha colored head. This retains with a rigid ½ finger of rich creamy froth that just drenches the sides of the glass with lacing that sticks to the sides in heavy swathes. The aroma is fresh and flora feeling up front, with a bit of a spicy wet tobacco leaf thing going on with it. Smooth notes of chocolate and roasted coffee rise up underneath but it's those notes of herbs and tobacco that are really sticking with me.

Hops prickle the tongue up front in the taste, with green citrus and biting spiciness spreading out into the mouth. A thick layer of chocolate and some lesser caramel flavor envelops those hops and leaving a good bit of heavy sweetness behind but it is well balanced by the deep burnt bitterness of the roasted malts. Same as the nose, I'm also picking up that herbal and dank leathery tobacco presence, which mingles in the finish with lingering charred smoke from the roast and the dry spiciness of the hops. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with a sharp feel up front that prickles the tip of the tongue but then gets more slick and creamy as this moves out into the rest of the mouth. I'm getting no alcohol except some heft in the body for 8% and it actually blew my mind that the ABV was that high although I did have a sneaking suspicion after starting to feel it once I got into a couple of glasses of this.

I really enjoyed this! A solid hop presence, dark sticky sweetness, and that aforementioned tobacco flavor all combined to make this quite the complex and tasty take on a Porter. The body on this was just spot for all of that heavy feeling sweetness and I still can't believe that this was 8%. It drank like a champ! This is definitely of the better Cigar City offerings that I've had recently.

4.09/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

3.36/5  rDev -17%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Three Floyds glass. It poured dark brown in color with a thin tan head covering the top. The head was small, but remained through drinking it as well as leaving some nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma has a lot of hoppiness to it. I get a citrusy, juicy aroma mixed with some chocolaty, porter flavors. It has a bit of a fruity, cherry like flavor to it as well. Very interesting aroma.

The taste shows off the hoppiness in it as well with some bold citrus flavors throughout the beer. I get some roasted and bitter chocolate flavors coming through as well. It's an interesting combination of flavors.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, and moderately silky smooth. Carbonation is a little below average, but fits a porter pretty nicely. Overall, this was an interesting beer but not one of my favorites. It wasn't bad at all, but things needed to mesh better for me for it to be something outstanding.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

4.07/5  rDev +0.5%

Modest starting head and it dies down to a ring of bubbles. This does leave some spotty ring lace. The color is dark brown where no light will shine through.

Good vanilla and cocoa nose. There's a touch of hop in the aroma as well.

There are extra burnt toast elements that are closer to a dry stout flavor wise. Dry cocoa without sugar as the brew sits in the mouth, but this gives way to a pleasant hop bitterness. The body is very good with a below average level of carbonation. Regardless, this is a very easy-to-drink porter.

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

thrilled to be able to try another gem from ccb, my man todes sent me this one to knock off my list of ccb greats. poured cool and into a pint glass, this one was enjoyed on 10/01/2010.

what a big pour on this one. rich ark brown in color with a nice two finger head of creamy tan that stays on top for what seems like forever and leaves a ton of lacing on the sides of the glass.

aroma is to die for. rich roasted malts, warm cocoa and coffee, mixes with a deep resinous hop note and capped with a smooth dose of vanilla, wth is this thing? i am getting a bit confused now as i sip on it and pick up flavors that should not be blended together, but are and it works. rich dark chocolate and roasted coffee are mere accents to a wonderful citrus bouguet and warming roasted notes. really just sublime. hints of tobacco and leather come through as it hits room temp, and the long, smooth, rich and sweet finish defies any expectation of what was coming next.

overall i am unsure of what to make of this one, but for some damn reason i am in love with it. a wonderful beer.

3.69/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I just scored a bottle of this at The Fridge a couple of days ago and I am between IPA reviews right now, so I figured that this might make a nice bridge between Founders Centennial and Cigar City's Jai Alai White Oak Aged. We shall see.

From the bottle: "A grain of poetry suffices to season a century. - Jose Marti"; "I wish to leave the world/By its natural door:/In my tomb of green leaves/They are to carry me to die./Do not put me in the dark/To die like a traitor:/I am good, and like a good thing/I will die with my face to the sun[.] "A Morir [To Die] (1894)".

Wow, poetry incorporated with beer?!? I am both stunned and ecstatic! I have become immersed in poetry since becoming a high school English teacher over a decade ago, but usually Bukowski goes with beer.

My initial, heavy handed pour resulted in a pseudo-cascade which created three fingers od dense, deep-brown head with great retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44) with garnet highlights. Nose smelled more of dark things - tar, charcoal, tobacco, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits, leather than of hops, but the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. My first sip filled my mouth with a big, thick dollop of dark chocolate pudding. No, I mean, beer, but it was like a Jell-O pudding cup and I thought about inviting Bill Cosby over to share this with him. It had a bitterness, to be sure, but it went more towards enhancing the coffee-like inherent bitterness than making it "American" in terms of its hops. I was reminded of the fact that I am not a fan of Black IPAs for almost the same reason. The dark malts get in the way of the hops, almost wasting the hops, as opposed to showcasing them. This was not quite as much of a turn-off for me, but I have also had Porters that I enjoyed much more. The finish was dry and bitter, but whether due to the malts, to the hops or a combination thereof, I could not discern. If they decide to CAN this beer, I will revisit it, but otherwise, this was a one-and-done.

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

From 11/05/10 notes. Had at a small tasting courtesy of ygtbsm94; thanks Brad.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of tan head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruit, vanilla, and a tiny hint of alcohol. Pretty nice and balanced.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, and alcohol. A step down from the smell, and more alcohol.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty good porter I would drink again. Wish there was a little bit less alcohol in the taste and wish it had sonme of the vanill from the smell, but still pretty good.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to Mike for sending me this one in a recent trade.

A: The pour is a very dark brown color with a big tan head and some nice rings of lacing.

S: A big roast aroma starts things off. Some bitter coffee and chocolate notes are close behind. There are some strong hop aromas here too, quite earthy and faintly citrusy.

T: Like the nose, we've got a ton of roast character on the palate. The coffee is almost as intense as the roast with some bitter dark chocolate to a lesser extent. The hop notes are more citrus than the nose lets on, but still quite earthy. Moderately bitter, which was pleasant.

M: The body is medium with a medium level of carbonation.

D: I found this one to be really quite enjoyable. Great roast character that's not overpowering and overly bitter, and the hops really kept things interesting.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad!

Cultivo Una Rosa Blanca
Por Jose Marti

Cultivo una rosa blanca
En julio como en enero,
Para el amigo sincero
Que me da su mano franca.

Y para el cruel que me arranca
El corazon con que vivo,
Cardo ni ortiga cultivo,
Cultivo una rosa blanca.

A: This beer, named in honor of a Cuban national hero, appears a dark brown hue. There is a nice, thick beige head that leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Aromas include slightly sweetened malts, cigar smoke, tobacco.

T: The beer tastes good, but not great. I am enjoying the smokiness of the beer, but overall, find it a bit too sweet for my liking.

M: The alcohol could be disguised better. The body is medium-thin with a solid carbonation level.

D: An interesting beer. Even though it's a 12 oz. bottle, I found it optimal for sharing a few ways.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Review from notes taken 1/2/11. Thanks to goryshkewych for the chance to try this one.

Shared with a friend and poured into a small wine glass, this brew appears a very dark brown with mahogany highlights and clarity around the edges. A very dark brown head appears and recedes holding tight around the wall of the glass.

The aroma includes notes of chocolate and fruity alcohol with some citrus hops. A little indication of coffee emerges before a hint of an aroma similar to tobacco and cigar ash.

The taste is bitter roasted malt tasting minorly like chocolate, fruit-like hops mixed with alcohol, tobacco and ash. Overall quite earthy leading to a flavor of coffee and dry cocoa that lingers in the mouth.

This is a medium bodied brew with a light, enjoyable level of carbonation. Very good and quite drinkable. An awesome take on the style with the "cigar city twist" included. The alcohol is masterfully hidden, I'd surely drink this one again.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a deep, dark brown boarding on black with a mountain of brown, coffee-colored head. The head is soft and dense with incredible retention. The nose is more hoppy than malty; the hop aromas are floral, piny, earthy. There are some faint chocolate and roasted malt aromas as well. The flavor is intense all around. The malt character is bready, roasty, chocolaty, and coffee-like all at once. The hop character is very forward with citrusy and piny characteristics; I get some notes of grapefruit and pineapple. This is a full bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation. The alcohol adds some warth, but is otherwise unnoticeable.

This is fantastic. This could make an argument about when does a porter/stout become a black IPA. I could drink several of these.

José Martí American Porter from Cigar City Brewing