Tocobaga Red Ale | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Pours amber in color with notes of citrus and caramel. Citrus hop bitterness upfront with notes of caramel and an Amish bread sweetness. Citrus hop bitterness returns at the end for a long dry finish.

Added by tpd975 on 09-15-2010

Ratings: 1,422 |  Reviews: 239

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours a dark red with a small white head that leaves moderate lacing down the glass.

Smell-Smells like caramel malts with hints of cherry and grapefruit.

Taste- Strong caramel malts with moderate bitterness. A bit sour on the end. Not too complex.

Mouthfeel- Good carbonation and medium mouthfeel.

Overall- Strong malt and caramel backbone. Hints of grapefruit hops. An ok red ale, nothing mindblowing.

4.41/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Certainly meets expectations as this red/amber ale is a translucent red/amber color. Poured from bottle leaving a very very thin light tan head. Interesting observation that moves this above 4 for me is the sediment swirling through the beer as it is poured.

Smell: Heavy pine scent and can detect a lot of syrupy malt sweetness. Great aroma for the beer style, I've had several reds/ambers recently and this is a standount.

Taste: I think the pine flavor stands out the most and the sweetness of the beer is balanced with the pine bitterness. Hint of caramel I suppose, and some grapefruit-type citrus flavor (although I seem to get that in a lot of beers).

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and syrupy, but in a good way. The light carbonation is a good balance balance for the smoothness. Afterfeel (if that's a word) is a little sticky with more pine and hop notes.

Overall: I've had this beer many times as I'm lucky enough to live in the Tampa/St. Pete area, and this is one of our go-to's from CCB. Very balanced as there is malty sweetness and pine bitterness, syrupy mouthfeel balanced with the carbonation, etc. One of our favorites here.

I will mention that I am enamored with CCB, and justifiably so, but figured I'd mention as a caveat to my review. This is one of the beers I grab when I have guests in town to try the local brews, I've never had someone tell me they didn't think it was very good.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%