Sea Bass | Cigar City Brewing

Sea BassSea Bass
3.62/5
Good
Sea BassSea Bass

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Belgian Saison

According to the head brewer, this a "dark farmhouse ale".

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 107 | Ratings: 194
Reviews by kjkinsey:

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle pour at Woodshop 7 held at Beachwood BBQ & Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

Pours a dark brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt and some sour and tart fruity aromas. Taste is much the same with a slightly tart finish. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is quite tasty and easy to drink.

3.69/5  rDev +1.9%

So I tried to fit this thing into a big ass mug that my friend "borrowed" from Ruby Tuesday's. It did not come close to containing this fizzy monster! Pours reddish/dark brown with a huge tan head. Smells of dried fruit, cherries and a slight hint of vinegar. Very tart and fruity taste which balances each other well. Slightly boozy at the end. Not my favorite style of beer but decent for what it is.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Review from notes 4/8/11.

A: Pours a hazy dark brown with a very large, off-white head. Very nice retention and leaves rings of lacing. Darkest saison/farmhouse I have ever seen.

S: A surprising amount of cherry, a little bit of apple, and some raisins.

T: Surprisingly tart for the style. Lots of cherry and apple again.
Definitely sour with some wood.

M: Medium bodied with high carbonation. Makes your mouth pucker a little due to the sourness.

O: I quite like the flavors, but if I had to guess the style, I would never have guessed saison/farmhouse, none of the aspects present make me think of a classic in this style.

Thanks to hophead84 for sharing this brew at barrel blast

A: poured an amber brown in color with brown highlights that had a thin head but left some good lacing sticking to the glass.

S: pretty intresting aroma consisting of cherries, bretty funky character, oaky, vineagr, and. Plum notes but had faint vinous notes.

T: the taste actually had more dark fruity vinous flavors but still had the bretty funky oaky character with cherry, accents, and a touch of vinegar.

M: the brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a funky, vinous, dark fruity, mild tart finish.

D: I like the take on a farmhouse style but was kinda all over the place, it was still tasty and was glad to have some.

4.07/5  rDev +12.4%

Consumed 10/9/10 The bottle refers to this beer as "Pugilistic." Punchy!

A: Poured into Duck Rabbit snifter. Dark brown, almost a deep, deep crimson/purple/mahogany. Maybe that's just my light. Big froghty off white-yellowish head.

S: I like this a lot! Slight funk of a saison, mmm can't wait to see what this tastes like. Sour grapes, apples, pears, dried fruit. The "dark" comes through a little bit in letting the slightest chocolate cake smell through the funk.

T: Ooh, okay, so the malt is there. Finishes like a darker, malty ale on the back end. However, Grapes and plums are right out front, with caramel in the middle. It doesn't taste as sour as it smelled. A lot of people are saying this is super tart, and "could tell it was a sour from the scent." I disagree. Maybe I've ravaged my taste buds with binge drinking and spicy food, but I don't think this beer is that sour.

F: Light, mild carbonation. For a refermented beer (yeast sediment poured into my glass, whoops!) I was hoping for more pop on the tongue. I reckon' that's the darker aspect of the beer balancing it though.

D: Went down easily. I finished almost the entire 750 by myself. No ABV on bottle, but I'd place it at around 6%-7%. There's a lot of flavor in this though, so it could be higher.

I'm curious what some age would do to this, and I may pick up another bottle. I also agree with what another review said in that this may be a great base for a sour beer. Some Brett and a red wine barrel would do crazy things to this!

I like what the guys at CCB are putting out, and this just shows their creativity.

3.07/5  rDev -15.2%

bottle from awesome girlfriend from total wine in tampa.
Pours... well... I have never actually had a beer that I pour into a glass and there is zero liquid. there is usually some tiny amount... but this had none. so... 30 minutes later...
turns out to be a rich brown with a nice bouquet of cherry and sour, and some funk, along with a chemical pungent odor...
taste is a nice mild sour cherry... it does have that chemical taste to it on the finish, though... and it gets stronger as you drink it. Overall, not too bad, but the chemical taste to it really dampers it for me... and really leaves something to be desired in the aftertaste...
the more i drink this the harder it becomes to drink... the first few sips were good, but man this just begins to coat the tongue, and becomes VERY chemical tasting. I had a hard time finishing this.

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

3.22/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml, 2010?
Lost Abbey tulip

A: Pours a murky reddish hued brown color. Tons of carbonation, over carbo. Four fingers off white slightly tan head. Tiny bubbles streaming up sides of glass. The cap had dark brown funky goop on it.

S: Smells like a full on sour beer, more than a Saison. As I have heard, this one has gotten funky over the years. Balsamic vinegar. Tart cherry. Tanic woodiness. Smells of Flanders red.

T: Tip of the tongue is that tart acidic sour tinge. Then in the middle of the palate you get this strange OFF funkiness. Like rancid woodiness. Infection maybe? Not pleasant. There is an almost cocoa like flavor in there. Finish is dry, but some of that funk lingers with you.

M: Medium bodied. Thank god carbonation sort of clears the palate.

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

A -
brown murky color with a thick soapy head stays really well

S -
big grape smell followed by sourness

T -
big grape flavor followed by some spice fig finished with a huge sourness

M -
very foamy and bubbly mouth feel very airy highly carbonated a litle on the dry side

D -
takes getting used to grape in beer it is fairly odd but not bad however when you add the sour taste its not that good at all

3.52/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into my Ommegang snifter glass.

A - Brown with slight lacing along the glass.

S - Smells like sour cherries. Not like too many saisons I've come across. Also a bit of an earthy smell.

T - This tastes similar to a whiskey sour. A little brun at the end but the initial taste is quite sour. I could see this going with asian food for contrast.

M - Bubbly carbonation. Fairly light.

D - I think the sourness makes this one a little tough to have more than one. I do like this better than Guava Grove.

1.56/5  rDev -56.9%

A: Poured into a pint glass and got massive amount of head which has me worried. 90% Foam & 10% beer. Once it settles, the body is brown with a bubbly off-white head that last forever.

S: Smells like sour cherries, funkiness, and vinegar.

T: I've had sours before and farmhouse ales and saisons. This one has a strong mouth-puckering flavor of vinegar & sour cherries. Can't pick anything else out because of the vinegar flavor.

M: Medium body & high carbonation.

D: I heard good and bad things about this before I bought it. Couldn't even finish the glass and poured it down the drain. First beer I've had from CCB that I strongly dislike. Would never get this again.

3.83/5  rDev +5.8%

A- pours a brown cloudy body with thick ass head and heavy lace.

S- smell of wild yest hint of bret.

T- sour with fruityness and wild yeast ending.

M- dry but very flxvorful to the pallet.

D- different to other CC beers I had. Very good saison.

Cheers...

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark amber brown with a 2 finger off white head

smell: sour, dark fruits, apple, cherry

taste: sour, tart, dark fruits

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body

overall: very interesting take on a saison / farmhouse ale. I'll have to say I liked it and would try it again.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.82/5  rDev +5.5%

Two review prefaces: I'm a total amateur, and I don't much like the saison/farmhouse style.

That said, when I heard they were celebrating the release of this during NYC Beer Week at Rattle N' Hum, I pretty much ran from class. Huge fan of CCB.

I got a pour from a bomber bottle into a 8oz-ish snifter. It's dark brown with a reddish hue around the edges at the bottom and has a little bit of graininess to it. There's a sour aroma that's pretty inviting, and the first sip echoes that. There's a lemon lime tartness going on in the middle, and that meets a sweetness. It has a solid medium to light body, but it's not too heavy. By the end of the sip it finishes clean but with "some funk" (thanks aepb1, I didn't know how to describe it). That funk ultimately turned me off to it and lowered its drinkability for me, but there's no question it's a complex and complete brew. Props to Cigar City!

3.28/5  rDev -9.4%

Beer pours a red brown (burgundy) that is barely transulcent. Creamy, thick head that lingers a long time. Tart smell yet sweet you can smell cider right off it. Sour grapes taste at the front, mild fruity flavor in the middle and a little dry at the end- still tart. Tart from the cider. Drinkablity is good, its not a strong brew.

Sea Bass from Cigar City Brewing