Sea Bass | Cigar City Brewing

Sea BassSea Bass
3.62/5
Good
Sea BassSea Bass

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Belgian Saison

According to the head brewer, this a "dark farmhouse ale".

User Reviews & Ratings
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 107 | Ratings: 194
2.48/5  rDev -31.5%

750mL bottle to tulip.

A: Loud pop upon uncapping. A light brown head rises to 4 fingers with a texture transforming from compact foam to bubble bath. The head fills with pockets of air as the larger bubbles pop and temporarily increases the rate of deflation. The length of retention overall is above average however. The body is really dark brown, almost completely opaque and reveals some deep amber tints only when held to light. Small light colored flecks of sediment can be seen at the bottom of the glass.

S: Flesh of cherry, white grape, strawberry, red currants and sherry vinegar. Light earth and must followed by oaky impressions. Some dark malts come through as well. This beer is nothing like a Farmhouse.

T: Overly sweet and very tangy with strong acidic notes of vinegar. Increasingly fruit forward, displaying qualities of each fruit previosuly noted in the aroma. Resembles a Flanders more than a Farmhouse.

M: Light bodied with aggressive carbonation and a mouth puckering quality.

D: The aroma was the only really likeable characteristic of this beer. A far cry from a farmhouse and a pretty big miss from one of my favorite breweries. Life goes on.

2.23/5  rDev -38.4%

Pours a cola brown with an out of control head that engulfs the glass and has me worried about the i-word

The aroma is medicinal and metallic, with notes of cherry and oak underneath and a heavy vinegar character.

The flavor is a gross mix of cigarette ash, cherry, vinegar, and cough medicine.

The body is fine despite the high carbonation.

Overall this beer is an absolute mess. I hope that this is a bad bottle. Please let this be a bad bottle. There is no way this should have made it out of the test-batch stage.

2.09/5  rDev -42.3%

Bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

Thanks to McDiddypop for this one.

A- Pours a deep cola brown with no light let in. A huge head, four fingers at least, sticks around forever and leaves gobby lacing on the side of the glass.

S- A little worry sets in. Lots of sourness right off the bat. I am having a hard time picking up anything else. Maybe some cherry but that kind of plays with the sourness.

T- Big sourness just like the nose predicted. Maybe infected? I can barely detect some roasted malt and that is about it.

M- Medium to lighter bodied with crisp carbonation and a biting sour. Dry on the finish.

O- Pretty disappointed that this one is infected. Lets hope Cigar City can get some of these QC issues under control.

2.05/5  rDev -43.4%

$11.99 for a 25.4 oz. bottle from Ward's in Gainesville, FL

A: extremely deep mahogany color with nice lacy head
S: mild nose with sharp acid qualities, I'm hoping the taste isn't the same!
T: yikes, sharp, sour with funky aftertaste, I'm hoping it's not supposed to taste like this, appears to be infected with sharp yeasty bite
M: not good with sour qualities
D: not

1.83/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

A - Poured a nice rich brown / black into chalice

S - sour fruit , tart, background malt

T - Sour, nasty, vinegary - tastes like a bad beer - Bad OJ, tomato and yeasts.

M- Nothing special or bad to report. Medium body.

O - Umm, I wont ever have it again. Just not to my liking at all. To me this was like some mutant cocktail of bad orange juice taste extract mixed with a flat malt beer body and just plain bad.

1.56/5  rDev -56.9%

A: Poured into a pint glass and got massive amount of head which has me worried. 90% Foam & 10% beer. Once it settles, the body is brown with a bubbly off-white head that last forever.

S: Smells like sour cherries, funkiness, and vinegar.

T: I've had sours before and farmhouse ales and saisons. This one has a strong mouth-puckering flavor of vinegar & sour cherries. Can't pick anything else out because of the vinegar flavor.

M: Medium body & high carbonation.

D: I heard good and bad things about this before I bought it. Couldn't even finish the glass and poured it down the drain. First beer I've had from CCB that I strongly dislike. Would never get this again.

1.4/5  rDev -61.3%

I've been going to school here in Florida and I've been trying to get as much Cigar City as I can before I leave. I was so excited to find this beer on tap in Sarasota....my anticipation was let down so harshly.

A-very dark brown with a lot of cream colored head

S-umm its smells like ketchup to me...I got a friend to confirm this. It honestly smells a bit gross.

T-Oh my lord this might be the most pungent brew I've ever tasted. It hits with a tangy blast of sour tomato. Thinking about this taste any more..makes me sick. This might be the beer for Blood Mary lovers.

M-medium carbonation with an awful sharp finish

D-Absolutely disgusting. Possibly the worst beer I've ever had. I can't finish it.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last