Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pilot Series Passionfruit Dragonfruit Berliner | Cigar City Brewing

4.77/5
World-Class

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Spring

Pro-Am collaboration with homebrewer Jonathan Wakefield using Cigar City's pilot system.

No longer brewed at Cigar City. Batches produced after March 2012 should be reviewed under Wakefield Brewing.

Added by shand on 03-13-2011

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.15/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

3.83/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.5/5  rDev -5.7%

4.75/5  rDev -0.4%

Was holding off reviewing this until J. Wakefield Brewing was listed, but I'm impatient. Had this on tap at Hunahpu Day 2013, reviewed from notes. Got to meet Jonathan himself briefly, so that was neat.

This bear is beautiful. It's like a radioactive neon pink, with a bright fluffy glowing pink head. The head might actually be a white that just picks up the coloring from the regular beer, who knows? At any rate, it's mesmerizing. Definitely the most interesting looking beer I've ever seen.

The smell is this huge tropical fruit bouquet, really strong passionfruit. Lots of fruit sweetness, but it's cut a bit by a noticeable tartness so it never comes across as cloying. It's very bright smelling, like if I close my eyes it's like I'm just surrounded by wonderful fresh fruits.

The taste ratchets the nose up a notch. Really tart, citric, big tropical fruits, very slight wheat backbone. Really the best word that came to mind was "vibrant." Just a stunning, delicious beer.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, slightly dry. Punchy, active carbonation that doesn't overwhelm. Perfect.

This is without question the best beer I have ever had; I can think of no flaws. I definitely try to take a "it's just beer" attitude, but I think this is the first time in my life where I finished a glass and was genuinely bummed out to not have more. Who knows when I'll get to try this again... Anyone want to trade me some sweet Wakefield growlers?

4.5/5  rDev -5.7%