Hillsborough River Dry Irish Stout (Patio Tools) | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Pours black in color with coffee and very light cocoa notes. Hillsborough River is brewed with roasted barley which contributes forward coffee notes with small notes of cocoa and toffee in the flavor.

Added by Chaney on 07-15-2011

3.76/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Originally patio tools when I had it.

Thanks to gtreid for this one!

Poured into bruery snifter.

Pours a finger of light tan head. Head leaves some solid lace walls down the glass. Color is a fairly dark black.

Aroma: Roasted malts and then some. Sweet vanilla and a touch of toffee. Chocolate notes. Not a lot in the nose, but not bad.

Taste: Lots of roasted malts with vanilla and chocolate. There is a dry taste that I can't put my finger, I think it is peanuts or peanut oil. I doubt they used that in this beer, but something resembles it.

Mouthfeel: Roasted, smooth, and somewhat crisp. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends really dry and roasted.

Overall, I like it for what it is. A good beer, but not something I would want a lot of. Glad I got to try this. Now that I am done with my review, I am headed to the patio (but not to be a tool). Decent drinkability.

3.77/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.78/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured on-tap at the Cigar City Brewing tasting room in Tampa. Served in a pint glass, the beer poured a jet black coloring, looking like motor oil in a glass. No head. The beer has coffee aromas, with a light and slight smokiness. The flavor is light coffee initially, with a huge blast of campfire smoke at the end. Aftertaste is all smoke, with a slight coffee bittering. The beer's finish is a moutful of campfire coals. Great, dry, and light bodied. Bravo!

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -5.2%

Enjoyed on tap at Capone's on 3/19. Reviewed from notes.

The deep black body, light brown head and sticky lacing are pretty much the calling card of the Irish Dry Stout. I could tell just by looking at it... even though the silly pun in the name (Edit: This was called Patio Tools when I tried it) gave me the impression that I could expect an Irish Session Ale. I only wish it was on nitro.

Intense aroma packs in roasted coffee beans, spicy black licorice, vanilla, chocolate and creamy root beer. The smell is much spicier than expected for the style and I feel like a touch of nutmeg might be what added this additional layer of complexity.

Dry roasted bitterness is the first thing to peak out flavor wise, followed by a burnt conclusion that brings on a heavy dryness and coffee bean residuals. A certain Holiday-esque spicing in the yeast makes me think that this is a Belgian-inspired take on an Irish style. I'm probably looking too deep into it, but it still manages to be unique and reverent at the same time.

Liquid is very smooth on the tongue, followed by a zesty, tingling dryness. It's very thin (even for the style), but not without its merits.

Although I felt that certain aspects needed to be fine tuned, this brew was very easy to drink and definitely an original take on a much-mimicked style.

3.83/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

3.93/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours black with a half-finger of creamy tan head frozen in time. It has a milk chocolate smell with toasted oats, pecans, and cream, but I only pick up on those flavors if I stretch myself -- it's all rather subtle. The taste brings cocoa powder, coffee, burnt toast, and bitter hops. It goes down silky smooth with a super dry finish and is on the lighter side of medium in body.

3.96/5  rDev -1.7%

This was called Patio Tools when I reviewed it. They changed the name to Hilsborough River when they made it a year-round beer.

Pours totally black with a big brown head that doesn't vanish.

Slight sour aroma, with bigger notes of roasted malt, coffee and chocolate.

The taste is quite good. Rich roasted flavors mix with just a bit of dryness. This doesn't have the sour/tart notes that Guinness does: Patio Tools is much better.

Creamy and super-smooth body. This is a very easy beer to drink

This is a very fine beer that shows that Cigar City can make great "regular" beers.

3.97/5  rDev -1.5%

Nitro-tap at CCB takeover at OTC.

A: Good looking stout. Dark brown with a small tan head. Standard for the style I guess.
S: Not much going on. Some dry, dark chocolate smells and roasty malts. Very faint though.
T: Dry roasted malt. Some vanilla and chocolate, with a burnt flavor at the end. Slight bitterness.
M: Thin bodied. A bit watery. Super creamy mouthfeel though because of the nitro. Silky smooth.
O: This is a great sessionable stout. The thin body bothered me a bit but this was overall very smooth and drinkable.

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Growler shared by Joe at Oakquinox 2010. I had to move this review because for some asinine reason, the name of the original beer was changed to the oak aged version and a new listing for the original beer had to be created. Way to go Beer Advocate...

A: An almost black pour with a small tan head.

S: Not an overly complex nose on this. Certainly quite roasty and heavy on the coffee with maybe a hint of earth to it.

T: A very intense roast, almost charred, flavor with plenty of coffee and a mild acidity. A pleasant bitterness and just a hint of chocolate.

M: Medium in body with a full and tingly carbonation. A nice dry finish to it, which is one of my favorite aspects of the style.

D: A nice easy drinking stout and one of the better offerings from Cigar City I've had to this point.

Hillsborough River Dry Irish Stout (Patio Tools) from Cigar City Brewing