Black Whole | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Black Whole is a multi-dimensional ale that takes many twists and turns similar to our daily lives. It has a big chocolate expression with moderate caramel notes, complex toasted to biscuit notes and hints of clove and black licorice.

Black Whole is a tribute to El Chupa Cobras, a mathy indie band from Montgomery, Alabama.

Added by VaTechHopHead on 07-24-2011

12 oz bottle poured into my bruery tulip

A: Opaque dark brown. The pour left a cap of light tan foam that retained rather well.

A: As per the usual with Ccb, I get notes of roasted malts, sweet caramel malt, and a unique hoppy bitterness. I also get notes of black licorice and candi sugar. Interesting.

T: more roasted grain followed by a caramel, candi sugar sweetness. Really interesting flavor profile, more notes of black licorice, coffee, toffee, and grassy hops. It finishes very bitter and sweet.

M: I'll go with medium body and pretty aggressive carbonation. Rather tingly on the palate.

O: Another extremely original offering from Ccb. I am not a huge fan of black licorice, infact I'll just say I hate it. But it seems to take a bit of a backseat to the roasty and coffee flavor on the beer. Not something I would go out of my way to get, but glad I got to try. Skal.

A: Pours black with a brown head.

S: The nose is chocolatey and roasty with some dark fruit.

T: Flavors are chocolate, roasted malt, medium roast coffee, dark fruit, and some lighter fruits that make it a bit tart, but not uninviting.

M: Not velvety smooth, but not too over carbonated and close to full bodied.

O: Pretty good. Nothing too interesting, but it's worth a try if you can find it.

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from tap at CCB into a Cigar City Snifter.

Color: Black with a tan head.

Smell: Alcohol presence with nice malts and barley.

Taste: Tart taste with nice malts really pair well together.

Mouthfeel: slightly coarse and dry on the palate.

Overall: this cigar city brew is a very nice blend between malts and a nice tartness. Cheers!

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Big thanks goes out to beeruser for sharing this one! Served from bottle into a Bell's stemmed tulip. Poured a massively dark brown with a two finger tan head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, smoke, and tobacco. The flavor was of roasted malt, smoke, caramel, and tobacco. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. While this one was not very complex by any means, it still manages to be quite good as far as the flavors and aromas present. The tobacco flavor I picked up on was a little off-putting at first, but once you get used to through the session you start to understand why it was incorporated into the brew. A solid brew that I'm glad I got the chance to try.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured 12oz bottle into my Cigar City Snifter.

A: Lots of carbonation, DAMN! Took a minute to settle and has a nice cinnamon looking swirl head. A very dark porter, looks almost like a lighter stout. Some good lacing on the glass as well.

S: Getting some smoke, alcohol, maybe burnt coffee and malt.

T: Same as smell, smoke, burnt coffee/toffee? and malts. Has an alcohol bite. Char too, it has that classic cigar city smoke/char after taste similar to Zhukov and Hunahpus, love it. Definitely tasting it more as the beer warms.

M: Prickly carbonation and very mouth coating.

O: I like this beer for what it is, nothing too special but it is nice for sure. I think I'll give my other bottle to a buddy rather than try this again later.

Black Whole from Cigar City Brewing