Black Whole | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Black Whole is a multi-dimensional ale that takes many twists and turns similar to our daily lives. It has a big chocolate expression with moderate caramel notes, complex toasted to biscuit notes and hints of clove and black licorice.

Black Whole is a tribute to El Chupa Cobras, a mathy indie band from Montgomery, Alabama.

Added by VaTechHopHead on 07-24-2011

3.49/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz bottle into nonic.

A - Pours black, big pillowy tan-colored head, sticky lacing, thick cap.

S - Sweet dark fruit sweetness, slight coffee, toffee, roast. A weird mix of sweetness and roast, but not a chocolate sweetness, more like a herbal/fruity sweetness.

T - Roast, chocolate, bitter hops, some weird herbal sweetness of some sort, bitter dark chocolate finish. I enjoy the roast, chocolate, and hoppy bitterness but the weird sweetness is kind of off-putting to me.

M - Medium body, rich and smooth, creamy finish.

O - Like a porter in some ways, unlike one in others. A very weird beer, to say the least. While I do enjoy a great porter, this one isn't amongst my favorites. It's different, which it's necessarily good. Just okay.

3.11/5  rDev -14.8%

Thanks to CurtisMcArthur for this one

Look: Black with red rings and a huge 1 inch mocha colored head with good retention but no lace

Smell: Sour cherries upfront and I hope this one is not infected. It does carry some bitter chocolate on the backend

Taste: First thought is that of an ashtray and it does not seem to be infected but I still have my doubts. It is slightly sour and has traces of coffee caramel and chocolate

Mouthfeel: Is horribly carbonated. There is so much carbonation that is makes this one hard to drink it has a medium body and is slightly dry

Overall: If there is not something wrong with this beer then it is just not very good. The flavor is brash and honestly just a mess. The mouthfeel is so badly carbonated that you have to struggle with the carbonation bubbles wrecking the top of your mouth. Not recommended

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Very, very dark brown in color with a huge head that makes me have to pour it out 3 times between settling. Dried fruits, raisens and a slight anise aroma with somewhat of a lactic, sour bite. Malty, mildly chocolate flavor. Some spicy chile like notes. Again has a "bite" to it that detracts-almost an off or sour/metallic flavor. Nice creamy body. Overall a notch above average. I don't think the beer is infected or bad it has an off flavor that I simply cannot get past-try for yourself and see.

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Forgot who sent this extra to me, but thanks and cheers!

Appearance – Pours a dark black into a sniffer with massive amounts of cocoa colored head that dissipates slowly leaving chunky lacing.

Smell – Chocolate, coffee, tartness reminding me of infection (though this of course gets thrown around too often sometimes). Roasted malts and dark fruit. Little licorice.

Taste – Weird. It really does start out like a fruity saison that mixes to the cocoa and dark chocolate. I do believe this is infected (from experiencing infected beers, this does have the telltale tart off cherry infection flavor). Reading other reviews, I do see another mention of infection and reading “regular” reviews makes my beer seem that much more off. Slight spiciness.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, excessive carbonation.

Overall – Absolutely infected. BUT, oddly it somewhat works. It is not a drainpour like Abyss ’09 was for me.

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle thanks to dolfan54fl for sending this fresh from the brewery. Poured into CCB snifter.

A- Pours an opaque dark black with lots of carbonation and about a 2-3 finger head of frothy mocha brown off-white head that has good retention. Leaves some lacing that recedes slowly, not really that layered.

S- Dark chocolate, roasted malts, almonds, biscuit, and some clove.

T- Dark chocolate, espresso, clove, malts, some very light spices, nuts, finishes a bit bitter.

M- On the lighter side for a porter. Decent amount of carbonation, easy to drink for 8%.

O- This was a porter that was interesting + easy to drink, but there were a lot of characteristics that I thought could have been improved. I think there was a little bit too much carbonation + head which kind of detracted from the mouthfeel, I also like my porters a little bit creamier. The clove was an interesting addition, however I think I prefer my porters without it- kind of detracted a little bit from the darker flavors. Overall not bad, but definitely not my favorite porter or CCB offering.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours black with just a slight tinge of red. Small coffee colored head.

Smells of roasted coffee and chocolate. Good classic porter aromas.

Taste follows the nose. A great blend of chocolate and coffee with some earthy hop notes.

Fairly creamy with medium carbonation levels.

Very good porter with some bold yet balanced flavors.

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this beer in a recent trade. I love CCB and I have never had this one. Glad to get to try. 12oz bottle...

A: A black brew with reddish highlights and a thick 1 inch tan colored lacing that fades at a decent pace. Very good.

S: I get some malty vanilla and mild raisin. Decent.

T: A malty cinnamon chocolate flavor upfront with a roasty vanilla in the middle. The brew finishes with a walnut type taste. Decent.

M: Medium body that is way over-carbonated. Almost like a soda. A creamy nutty finish. Decent.

O: All in all, this is a decent brew. CCB is my favorite brewery and this is one of the more mediocre brews I've ever had from them. Doesn't really bring anything to the style and is way over-carbonated.

3.24/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip.

The beer does not gush out of the glass, but a huge frothing head nearly overflows the glass, causing me to need to make three attempts before I can pour the whole glass. The head fades to a moderate 1 cm head after a few minutes. As for the beer itself, it close to a black color with walnut brown edges.

Roasted malt and dark, bitter chocolate are the main components of the aroma, but Black Whole has a relatively weak smell overall.

The flavor has a bit more to it, but it is still fairly flat and mild. Dark, unsweetened chocolate and deeply roasted malt are the first flavors on my tongue. Some smoke, vanilla, and molasses add a bit of depth. The middle and end of the sip simply consists of these flavors continuing, without anything new going on. The finish has a lightly dry bitterness.

There is a huge, bubbly carbonation that feels out of place with this style of beer. It has a slightly chalky dryness toward the end of the sip. The body is a little light for the ABV, but it still has a little bit of body to it.

This was just too light in flavor and seemed to have a few shortcomings that would prevent me from grabbing this again.

Black Whole from Cigar City Brewing