Guava Groove | Cigar City Brewing

Added by jcartamdg on 08-27-2011

3.25/5  rDev -14%

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

3.7/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip.

A: Pours a hazy light amber color with a massive rocky white head. Moderate amounts of retention and minimal lacing.

S: Smells of some light funk, earthy and tropical citrus.

T: Close to the nose, moderate amounts of funk with some earthiness and some tropical citrus lingering about.

M: Medium body, tons of carbonation.

O: I'm not quite sure what to make of this. It smells decent but I get no guava flavor at all, just that typical sasion light funkiness. I'll update the review if it gets better as it warms.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

3.25/5  rDev -14%

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

3.01/5  rDev -20.4%

Bottle courtesy of robinsmv. Thanks, Matt!

I tipped the bottle to my glass and the foam, temporarily, blocked the beer from pouring out. Unusual.

It pours a hazy orange with a big head of foam. It's shrinking slowly but I can see some lacing left behind.

It smells very yeasty with some fruitiness in the background. A Saison that smells yeasty? No prob.

It has an earthy malt flavour up front followed some lemon zest, tropical fruit(light), a bit of a peppery spicy note, light bready notes, and quite a bit of an alcohol burn. This is not your typical Saison and I'll have to do some more sips before I can let the jury out.

On the high end of medium bodied with lively carbonation, the mouthfeel is okay.

After careful consideration...I find that I'm not a fan. No swerve on Matt for sending this my way intended. I'm glad I got a chance to try it.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled Aug 2011 but tickers gotta tick, right Al?

I really love Guava Grove. There's some bottle variation (including some with infections), but overall it's a great, inexpensive beer. And it's a perfect stepping stone into the world of sours. I had high hopes for Groove...

Unfortunately, this stuff is severely over-carbonated and slightly medicinal. Fresh fruit character from the original is nowhere to be found. Recently had a Grove of about the same age which was still quite good, so I'll attribute this fault equally to age and recipe.

Not awful, not good. Wish I could've tried it fresh.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%