Rollin' Dirty Red Ale | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by shand on 06-15-2012

3.17/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A deep, deep ruby in color with a short head.

Sweet, light malt aroma.

Taste is mild of malt. Not much going on here.

Nothing wrong with the body.

Overall just an average brew. Can't really blame Cigar City for this since they were just the contract brewer.

3.92/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: pours into my pint glass a deep caramel and copper color. A nice half finger tan head and minimal lacing.
S: Sweet and semi reminiscent of a Belgian strong dark ale, if you can believe that. Caramel malt, sugar and dark fruit are all in play. Surprisingly complex.
T: complex, like the nose. Starts with the sweet caramel flavors and blends with dark fruit. Toward the back there is a slight tartness and a tad of a hop snap.
M: medium carbonation with a body to match. Slightly creamy and nice aftertaste.
O: this brew was more complex than expected and not quite true to the style. I live their interpretation though. More Irish red/ Belgian dark than American Red in NY opinion. Cigar City does not disappoint.

3.77/5  rDev +6.8%

Thanks to Matt at Cont. Liquors-Ashland, Ky. for this. We had a small tasting of this.

12 oz brown bottle with a neat red and white label describing what this beer is about and pretty much advertising the brew bus or whatever it was. Pretty cool labeling though not normal Cigar City style. Poured this into a pint style glass.

A - deep amber brown with a deep murky red hue. Beige like head was pretty thin and settled to a light ring of lacing leaving minimal stick. I thought the color was brilliant though the head lacked therefore not quite living up to its outstanding color.

S - dark fruits and a lot of dark fruit for that matter. Sweet bread aroma with brown nearly sugary malt. Overall aroma is pretty sweet and fruity. Nothing coming full force and nothing that screams American Amber/red ale in terms of smell anyway.

T - lots of dark fruitiness up front and continuing with a tartness toward the middle of the flavor. Bread like malt notes come through before a semi dry finish. Flavor is a bit odd for the style it claims to be. There is a lot going on with a big load of dark fruitiness and near tart strangeness.

M - damn smooth ill give it that. On the light side, but no matter the tart and fruitiness flavors it still coats the mouthfeel with what flavor it has. Very easy going and drinkable for me. Not sure everyone can enjoy straight up fruit and tart character though.

O - I've had a lot of brews from Cigar City yet for whatever reason this will be my first actual review from the Tampa, Florida outfit. Ill definitely have to throw some more on here from those guys as this doesn't quite sum up their style. I just can't say I just had an American red ale with this. It had some quality and despite its smoothness and very good dark fruit flavors I don't see a masterpiece with Rollin' Dirty. However it is what would be considered a rare try here where I live, so it's cool to get to try something I've never seen nor will ever see again. Hey, I'll give it props if it indeed was brewed on a bus lmao! I mean what more could be done in that regard? This ale was more of an appreciation to a great brewery and a rare treat given I've never had anything quite like it. It's not American amber, not a Scottish ale, and its not quite a Flanders red, but all be damn if it didn't remind me of all 3 in some way if not hitting close to the mark in one of the latter 2. Just not quite taking the step to an actual style. It's a one of a kind for me and that's enough to give it a shot. I look to get ahold of more Cigar City in the future for sure, I just don't know that I'll be buying any more than a single bottle of this when that happens.

2.75/5  rDev -22.1%