Cigar City / Swamp Head Church On A Hill - Cognac Barrel Aged | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City / Swamp Head Church On A Hill - Cognac Barrel AgedCigar City / Swamp Head Church On A Hill - Cognac Barrel Aged

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: English Barleywine

Added by djmichaelk on 07-09-2012

Cognac was still there and really made an already amazing barley wine even more amazing!

4.96/5  rDev +13.8%

750 ml bottle poured into Dogfish Head snifter.

A: A muddy brown with a surprising 1 finger, tan head (surprising due to the abv). Head sticks around for a few moments before receding into a nice ring around the edge of the glass. Getting some lacing, which is nice surprise for a beer of this size. I find this brew very aesthetically pleasing, although I'm sure others would note that it is darker than is typical for the style.

S: Pungent; I could smell this one immediately upon cracking the cap. Brown sugar, toffee, caramel, dark fruits, vanilla, and cognac. I can tell this is going to be fairly sweet but also incredibly complex. Extremely appetizing aroma.

T: This is everything I was hoping the beer would be based on the nose. Being completely honest, I put this on par with King Henry and don't know that I can choose one over the other. So much going on in every sip. It's as if someone rolled dark fruits in brown sugar, then dunked them in cognac. Caramel, toffee, vanilla, and marshmallow cream are also present. There is a lingering cognac and brown sugar flavor on the finish.

M: It is a big Cigar City beer, so you know the mouthfeel will be dense and viscous. This one is big, chewy, and sticky. Low carbonation. The mouthfeel showcases the beer perfectly.

O: This beer is King Henry's equal in my opinion. I actually have this one rated slightly higher due to the better head and presence of lacing, something I didn't get with the King. This beer is absolutely phenomenal and easily ranks among the best beers I've ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks doesn't cover it. Moose3285 is a kick-ass guy who shot me a message from the bar at Cigar City to ask how many of these I wanted. Really? As I sit here with my CC T-shirt & CC thong, well, buy all of them. All of them! Dammit! Thanks man. Lovely 750ML bottle split with my wife.

Pour is muddy red run-off from a clay tennis court, thick, low carbonation, serious as an International Harvestor. The nose is a dark barley, sweetness, & a double-shot of cognac, mixed with a sliver of heaven. Wow.

Barrel Aged Church on a Hill is something the PM would have been jazzed to drink before scrawling his name on a bomb meant for Berlin. Goll dang nabitt. The cognac barrel is strong - good, I hate barrel-aged beers that whisper. The underlying barleywine, which I loved, retains its character. Caramel by the gallon, dark fruit rinds, brown sugar that leans into maple syrup fresh from the tap. Booze remains prominent, fogging the brain. Figs stick the aftertaste, along with the cognac. Drinkable? WTF? I could drink this until I fell off the floor.

The original version of this was a masterpiece; this goes one better. Put this one in a frame & toss it in the Louvre. Instant classic & an elite beer. Amazing.

4.89/5  rDev +12.2%

Bottled shared at NWI Tasting Group Meetup - December

A - Dark brown with a lot of haze. No head with a little foam on the side

S - Cognac, vanilla, oak, and caramel. A great sweet barrel-aged barleywine nose. Each smell brings something different and great complexity

T - Sweet vanilla, caramel, cognac with a light oak in the finish that cuts the sweetness. Great complexity and strong flavors in this. I loved the flavor on this and thought it was absolutely amazing. Each sip made me want to have more.

MF - Light syrup that coats and lingers on the tongue all the way through to the finish. Light oak presence that lingers on as well

O - This was by far the best variant of the 3 out of the Church on the Hill and felt that it blew Leon out of the water. Great barrel presence and you really get the cognac presence on this. One of the best barleywines I've had in a long time - very impressive

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Cigar City / Swamp Head Church On A Hill - Cognac Barrel Aged from Cigar City Brewing