Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Citrus Wizard | Cigar City Brewing

4.13/5
Exceptional

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

This guy is an American red ale aged on orange wood, Spanish cedar, dry-hopped with New Zealand Motueka hops and aged on some citrus elements. What that all means is that this is a citrus bomb. Huge grapefruit flavor! Tasting room exclusive. We're selling growlers to go as well, both quarts and gallons! Come stop by and see if the wizard puts you under his spell.

Added by CampusCrew on 10-07-2012

Wow, I just had this with a brandy aged Hannahpu and Perennial Barrel Aged Sump, yet this is the beer I was most impressed by. I felt compelled to write a review to tell the world how great this beer is.

I had this on tap at a very crowded event, the second glass was as good if not better than the first.

A- A beautiful dark amber color. A head like aged parchment, it looks oh so drinkable.

S- If I could give a medal on smell alone, this would be the beer. Cut a grapefruit open, sprinkle on some sugar and take a sniff and you would only get half the intensity of the same smell of this beer. Truly amazing, I consider myself jaded, but this was bringing a delighted smile to my face as well as those even more jaded than myself.

T- hmmm, citrus and more citrus. Sweet and enjoyable, there is nothing else quite like it. T

M-Pretty much perfect.

O- Wow, this is IMHO the best thing CCB has made. Their famed Hannahpu is excellent and perfect within the confines of its own style, but this is almost a new style in and of itself.

CCB, please make this a regular brew in your lineup. I am in awe of this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +15%

4.75/5  rDev +15%

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This might be the best red ale I've ever had - huge hop/fruit flavors and super drinkable. I brought a growler to a share and wanted to take it back immediately and drink it all myself! Take a bow Cigar City, this is what all ambers should aspire to be.

4.54/5  rDev +9.9%

Reviewed from notes. Had on-tap at CCB tasting room. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Deep red brown in color with some haze. One finger's worth of just-off-white head and moderate visible carbonation.

S: Citrus punch (grapefruit & orange), tropical fruit (pineapple, mango), woody cedar, a smidge of pine, and some roasted malt in the background. Flat out smells amazing.

T: Follows the nose, and it's a good thing. Fruitiness stays forward with the cedar wood, and a hint of spiciness, and just enough malt to try to balance it out.

M: Sticky, resiny mouthfeel, smooth texture, medium body. Overall a little sweet. Alcohol well-hidden.

O: I am blown away by this beer. This is insanely good & fresh. My only (small) quibble is that if anything, it tastes like someone poured a little fruit juice into my beer. But it's still very, very good. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

This beer absolutely caught me by surprise. The first several sips, I wasn't sure what to make of it. The nose was very perfumed, I caught some (what I interpreted as) cedar and huge grapefruit. By about 1/3 of the glass, I was entranced. It's fruity and magnificent, and worth your time and a full pour. A sample will simply not do this justice.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

I really liked this one. The aroma here was intense orange and tangerine with a pine hop bite. Pour is amber colored with a white head. Flavor is intense hops, with a ton of citrus and pine flavors and a malty backbone. unsure on the style but it was definitly an IPA style beer fairly dark/red body with tons of citrus flavors.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Citrus Wizard from Cigar City Brewing