Moat Water | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

A big stout brewed with vanilla and coffee and aged on maple veneers.

Added by Lare453 on 10-29-2012

Reviews: 65 | Ratings: 364
Reviews by BeerTheater:
4.42/5  rDev +1.8%

Moat Water is a good beer. It looks(without the cream), tastes and feels like a good ol cup of joe. What you initially see is murky black lagoon and when held up to the light you can see the brown hue coming off the top; it's the darkest brown Crayola could conjure up. The head is nice, creating a one to two finger top that dissipates soon thereafter . There is nice lacing, but not long lasting.

The smell is a wake up call and the cock goes cock-a-doodle-doo. It's coffee, straight up. There is a sweetness I guess one can discern from smell that lingers, but it doesn't register as maple or vanilla definitively to me. I think it's there but I need to go through another bottle to be sure because I drank this one rather easily and fast. The coffee is strong with this one and tasty.

Taste follows the nose but leads to a much better place than a Toucan in the morning. It's that cup of coffee again that is well roasted with a touch of semi sweet chocolate with milk and sugar. I'm not sure I get anything from the maple wood whether distinctly maple or woody. This beer is delicious with barely a hint of alcohol present if not for the warming feeling in your belly. There's that dry, semi bitter aftertaste you get from coffee yet it's also sweet from the vanilla bean/chocolate malt notes and lactose. I like my sugar with coffee and cream. A nice balance on the rails of Tampa's skate park.

Mouth feel is good and what I want from a stout. Smooth with a medium to full body that you can feel fill your mouth up and journey downward. I would say there is room for more body. It's more medium bodied than what I would want, but that's a small complaint barely worth mentioning.

If I were to sum up drinkability I guess I could say I went through my 750ML bottle faster than a bottled water on an August afternoon in Florida. Perhaps a bit too fast, as I should have waited for it to warm a bit. I will need another bottle or case to truly evaluate this good beer. I say good again because for some reason I want to say great but hesitate as it does seem to be more coffee than anything else. The chocolate chip pancakes mentioned on the bottle are there but not as substantial as it sounds. The vanilla and maple wood are minimal and add sweetness along with the lactose but not a distinct flavor. Again, I need more of this beer to conclude my thoughts. However, this beer leaves you with the jingle, the best part of waking up is beer in your cup. (this was an awesome beer despite my quibbles about the beer.)

3.76/5  rDev -13.4%

Cigar City Moat Water
Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Duvel Tulip.
A: Dark Brown/ Black with a brown head. Nice lacing. Looks very attractive.
S: Coco, Vanilla and minor caramel notes. Like coco puffs in chocolate milk with Hershey’s syrup poured on top (ya a ton of coco).
T: Chocolate, Vanilla. Sweet, extremely sweet like Moo Hoo or Moloko.
M: Lots of coco in the mouth and nostrils.
O: Meh, its good but its too sweet. I wanna see what it ages into.

4.22/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2012)

Thanks for opening this with me, VaTechHopHead!

Black throughout, moderately thick in body, with minimal visible carbonation. A small dark brown crown atop that leaves an oily sheen and small dots of stick down the glass.

Lots of both dark and bittersweet chocolate in the aroma, along with some complementary maple sweetness, a bit of earthiness, and some roasted coffee notes. Complete, though perhaps a bit too sweet and not as complex as I'd hoped.

The flavor is rich, decadent, and full of (high quality) bittersweet chocolate flavors. Along with the earthy and mildly bitter chocolate, is some maple syrup, mild roast, and a little bit of vanilla. Incredibly drinkable for a rich, sweet imperial stout.

Medium bodied with low-moderate carbonation.

I was surprised at just how incredibly delicious this stout was.

3.62/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a snifter. Shared during our NWI tasting group Bourbon county night

A - Dark chocolate brown with light chocolate on the edges. Small mocha colored head sits on top throughout

S - Nice nose on this one as I get coffee, light dark chocolate, hint of vanilla, maple syrup and oak

T - There is sweet vanilla and maple up front before I get coffee and a cigarette / char smokiness. The finish is oak as well as the cigarette/ char smokiness that lingers on. Overall, I really loved this beer on the first sip with the vanilla and maple. However, I'm not a big fan of the char flavor which made this one detract just a bit for me.

MF - Light body with a nice smoothness that comes in near the end. Light oak tingle remains in the finish

O - Overall, this is a solid stout from Cigar City. It has a nice sweetness to it and the vanilla, oak and coffee all make themselves known and add great flavor. What prevented this one from being great for me was the cigarette smokiness/ char flavor which came through. If you like those charred flavors, I'm sure you'll like this one.

4.7/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Another delicious beer from the crew at Cigar City. The vanilla and espresso belong together as they blend so well. The smooth feel of the beer keeps you coming back for more. I have always enjoyed CCB's ability to mask high alcohol content with great flavor. I mean, you know you are drinking alcohol but its not in your face or spicy. I enjoy that.

Thanks and Cheers