Forgotten Island | Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Forgotten Island is aged in Appleton rum barrels, originating from Jamaica. This distillery makes the oldest barrel-aged rum in the world. The barrel lends notes of vanilla, molasses, orange peel, cocoa, brown sugar, nutmeg, hazelnut, apricot and peach. This plethora of flavors and aromas from the rum barrels intermingles with banana, clove, cinnamon, fig, plum and brown sugar aromatics and flavors from the quadrupel, creating a crescendo of elegance in a long flavorful finale.

Added by MasterSki on 08-07-2013

WOW!!!! This is an incredibly complex beer. Admittedly sweet, but what a dessert beer. Had it with piece of NY style cheesecake, you wanna talk about awesome!!!

I would shotgun this beer if possible.

Simply amazing complex flavors amazing

4.99/5  rDev +22.6%

Had this at a bottle share on 10/21/13

Was the best out of 15 or so brews... I love quads ans this was c my favorite all time...

A lot of the other people said boozy... yes.. its boozy.. but damn its perfect.. smell of sweey rum covered raisins and figs.. slight orange but the sweeter side of the orange.. all dark fruit with a nice boozy barell aged sweet smell... taste followed the nose and was exceptional... beyond exceptional... if your into sweeter malty boozy beers than this is your mecca.. overdone to the point its almost too perfect and you wish it would stop... nice smooth phenol finish with lingering notes of dark fruits and plenty of booze.. if you weren't into beers but into rum I'd say this is the gateway beer for you.. its a beautiful blend of sweet delisious rum with a nice barell aged quad in the mix. If you like quads then look for this one...

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

Well, this bottle has been out of the box for at least six hours, time for it to meet its...me. Thanks & a flame of eternal gratitude for my lovely proxy, moose3285. 750ML bottle split with my wife while watching Jake & Elwood. I hate Illinois Nazis.

Pour is surprisingly dark, because I always think of quads as not being dark. On the extreme spectrum of dark red with a slow, low jam of carbonation. The smell, oh holy diamonds, the smell is on a mission from God. Coconut, vanilla, rum, spices, pirate aftershave. Beautiful.

Forgotten Island blows my expectations into the stratosphere. Massive backlash of rum provides a tasty canvas for the brew, which is bass-akwards. Reams of vanilla, toffee, caramel, sea salt, molasses, browns sugar, spices, & other stuff I can't pick out vie for attention; more complex than Euler's formula. Mouthfeel is thick thick, the molasses & brown sugar carries over into a bruiser. Doesn't seem to be any alcohol. I'll ask my feet later, if I can locate them.

After all the teenage hand-wringing over "gee, we didn't get a triple barrel imperial sour stout" over the El Cat club, this beer kicks the fuck out of...me. Good god. Startlingly unique, with a fantastic use of rum barrels & what can only be a magnificent base beer, this is a beer worth savoring. Top-shelf.

4.75/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Tough to do a review and compare to the best quads.. having never had Westy 12, so take this with a grain of salt. I have had Roche 10 and Abt 12, and this was better suited to my personal palette. Quads are not usually my favorite... maybe westy will change that.
Forgotten Island definitely opened my eyes to how good these can be.

First thing I noticed was the smell. My nose tingled... maybe it was delight? maybe it was the 15% abv? maybe both. Just a great smelling beer. Color was very dark, similar to what I remember from Roche 10... maybe a tad darker.

Mild to moderate sweetness seems to really accentuate the traditional quad profile. Mild oak comes through as well... nothing is overpowering. Just a well put together beer, regardless of style.

It didn't taste like a 15% abv... it was nice and pleasant all around. I felt it after though. Maybe I should have had a smaller pour. my 33 cl St Bernadus goblet might have been a bit much for that one.... ahh who am I kidding. It was worth it!

All in all... really liking this beer! My favorite Quad.... so far. Here's looking at you Westy!

Forgotten Island from Cigar City Brewing