Life Is Like... | Cigar City Brewing

Life Is Like...Life Is Like...

Cigar City Brewing
Florida, United States
cigarcitybrewing.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Imperial sweet stout brewed with cherries & cacao nibs & aged in bourbon barrels.

Added by MatthewPlus on 08-15-2013

4.57/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured this one in to a Three Floyds teku.

A - Pours a viscous-looking black with a deep mocha froth at the head that retains on the edge throughout the duration of my consumption. There are tinges of deep cherry, or maybe I'm high.

S - Life is Like...smells like a milk chocolate bomb with obvious notes of bourbon, oak, cherry cordial, and more chocolate/cocoa. Really, this is probably the only element of this beer that lacks...but I can't say I give a fuck.

T - Ooo it's so good. The milk-chocolate cherry sweetness is delectable. Interestingly, with a full-mouth swizzle, the oak kind of shines through...something I didn't really expect. The bourbon is there, but it's kind of muted by the lactose and sugar sweetness going on with the other flavors.

M - I really don't get anyone's comparison to Cherry Rye. Like, they're both bourbon barrel cherry stouts, but they don't really taste similar at all. This one is really oak-y and not nearly as syrupy. The booze is much more muted though. Somehow, the oak lingers throughout the swallow, and manages to make this a more longer-lasting flavor than Cherry Rye. It's got a solid amount of carbonation and a generally cocoa-like consistency.

O - Overall, I'm really happy with this one. When I think of the 15%, I almost laugh. It's extremely hard to discern the booze from the milk/sugar/cherry/chocolate activities going on here. I may sound like a broken record, but I was a little surprised by all the oak notes going on. I wish I had a second...this would be great to cellar for a bit.

4.03/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

750ml bottle from the 2013 vintage (though I assume this won't be made again), poured into a Darkness goblet last night, 12/7/2013.

Pours an opaque, abyssal black body, reminds me of Marshal Zhukov really in how oily and viscous this beer pours. Comes with a decent but small brown head that dissipates quickly. No lacing to be seen, a very placid beer.

Smells... well, I don't know what to think of it, really. Its a hodgepodge of bourbon, oak, cocoa, tart cherry aromas and some bitter black coffee. It's honestly not that mind blowing at all; I don't get much sweetness in the nose though that seems to come out a bit more as it warms up.

Flavour-wise, this is a strange puppy. Starts off a bit like a thick, bitter coffee espresso mixed in with some oak and some bitter black chocolate along with a lactose sweetness and perhaps bourbon sweetness. Its a bit medicinal as well. The cherries are in the background, and only add in a bit of flavour as the beer warms up. I mean, the cherries are definitely noticeable but altogether I'm not entirely sure this meshes all that well.

Typical Cigar City stout mouthfeel, nothing more needs to be said. There's just something they do to their stouts to make it so full bodied and creamy and so drinkable.

I'm not sure what the hype really was behind this beer. Its probably because of the bottle's cost and rarity. Its a good beer, don't get me wrong, but I would easily take Cherry Rye over this one.

4.79/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance is dark black with brown/reddish ring around the top. Small ring of a head. Smell is bourbon and oak forward, then chocolate then some sweet cherry. Taste is similar with milk chocolate and sweet cherry on the finish. Fantastic mouthfeel, cigar city knows their stouts

Life Is Like... from Cigar City Brewing