Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Berry Kriek | Breakwater Brewing

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by HopHead84 on 11-11-2009

Reviews by steadydose:
3.44/5  rDev +51.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This review is from 10/1/09 from a serving on tap at the brewery.

A: This beer is cloudy, color is magenta and looks really thick. Has a smoothie appearance it to it.

S: Well, smells like rasberries or some type of berry. Fruity. Interesting, but doesn't smell as good as other fruit beers I've had.

T: Taste like a rasberry smoothie to me. It tastes good, a little sweet, there is definitely some fruit puree in this beer.

M: Thick heavy mouthfeel

D: Unique, glad to have tried this GABF gold medal winner. I would have enjoyed this more if it wasn't so smoothie like.

1.84/5  rDev -18.9%

I attempted to finish Shane's glass after he rejected it at the bar. I failed.

The beer sits in the glass an ominous menstrual blood red; it's grim, dirty and impure, with no head to speak of. The beer smells like a shot of cherry cough syrup was added to a glass of Bud Light Golden Wheat. The taste is cherry cough syrup poured into a glass of Bud Light Golden Wheat. The cherry flavor is artificial and medicinal, and the base beer has a strange cardboard-like oxidation to it. This is horrific.

The blackboard noted that this was a gold metal winner, but it didn't say who awarded it. I'm guessing the brewer's mom gave him a gold metal. She probably didn't like the beer either, she was just trying to be supportive.

1.77/5  rDev -22%

Consumed on 11/8/2009 at Breakwater brewing with largadeer. I saw that this was a GABF Gold Winner and so I immediately ordered it. When it was brought to me, I was surprised by the appearance. The beer was a murky and turbid brownish red. It looked like cloudy toilet water. At this point I looked back up at the board and noticed that it simply read "Gold Medal Winner," rather than the "GABF Gold Medal Winner" that I had imagined. Damn. The only way this beer could look more unattractive is if it had actual pieces of shit floating in it.

The nose is medicinal berries and cherries with a mild tartness and a strong sweetness. The medicinal character is overbearing. Ugh.

The flavor tastes like cherry cough syrup. It's quite medicinal. There's a touch of tartness but it's subjugated by the artificial cloying sweet flavor. Avoid this at all costs. When a gold medal is given to a beer like this, I can't help but suspect one of two things:

1. It was the only entry in the category.
2. It was entered into the Beer Special Olympics.

I consumed 2oz of this and could stomach no more.

1.82/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a faintly purplish red. Pinkish foam head.

Smells ... like fake berry. Oh boy. Why'd I order this? Smells like sugar soaked cough syrup-y cherries and a faint sort of chemical "berry" aroma. Actually, kind of reminds me of some of Sam Adams's atrocious fruit beers.

Taste is undrinkabl-y bad. A struggle to get through half the glass. Chemical-ly, fake berry, too much residual sugars, just bad.

Mouthfeel is too carbonated, like having a fruit soda.

2.5/5  rDev +10.1%