Grande Dame Oud Bruin | Brasserie Trois Dames

Style: Flanders Oud Bruin

Added by Phyl21ca on 12-14-2009

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

2.73/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Very dark brown with hints of red; cannot see any light through the beer. Rich 3+ finger tan head that dies down slowly leaving a small amount of foam on the surface of the beer.

Smell: Sweet and sour smell that is overwhelmed by a funky aroma. The funky smell was kind of pukey (sorry) and not pleasant at all. Did not make me want to drink the beer.

Taste: The taste matched the smell almost exactly. Starts off with fruit - think apple cider and dark cherries - followed briefly by a kind of nice sour but then ends with a bitter strong funky aftertaste. Was way to funky for my tastes that I did not find it enjoyed at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with kind of a cider consistency. Lots of mild carbonation.

Overall: Not to my tastes at all. I really wanted to like this beer, as I generally like dark beers and I generally like sours. That being said, I do not like funk. This was very too funky for me. In fact I did not even finish the bottle and tossed it. Other reviews have been much more positive - so maybe I got a bad bottle? Or maybe this is just not a style of beer for me.

4.4/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep brown color with ruby aspects. Off white head forms with good staying power. Lace is left behind on the glass. This Oud Bruin pours free of sediment until the final pour yields a bit of cloudy yeast.

The aroma reminds me of old school fruit snacks. Fruit, sweet and sour our bruin notes, just a hint of oak. Nice nose.

The taste has a nice sour tartness, cherry pit, nutty brown malt, slight saltiness possibly from a sodium bicarbonate water treatment. Faint bitterness, lemon rind and must. Perhaps more aggressively acetic than some, this hits the style nail on head but with authority. It has ample malts, and finishes with sweetness that loses its battle to the tart mid palate and hereafter. Medium bodied ale with a high level of carbonation. Overall, this is a good Flanders style brown made in Switzerland. Color me impressed guys, keep up the good work!

Grande Dame Oud Bruin from Brasserie Trois Dames