L'Amoureuse Blanche | Brasserie Trois Dames

Brasserie Trois Dames
Switzerland
brasserietroisdames.ch

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

It’s thanks to Raphaël’s friendship with Nicolas Pittet and Pierre-Alain Dutoit, winemakers from Lavaux/Vaud, that the L’Amoureuse beers were born. They’re real hybrids – born of a combination of dry Saison and the freshly-squeezed juice of local grapes, blended and fermented together. The result is a relatively dry beer with a light, fruity, vinous nose. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, and refermented in the bottle, the L’Amoureuse will continue to evolve and grow more acidy over time thanks to the wild yeasts that occur naturally on the grape skins.

Added by GRG1313 on 07-17-2012

3.91/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I picked up this bottle & its sister, Rouge, at the Hunger-n-Thirst bottle shop here in Lancaster, PA a while back, more for the labels than anything else. The woman depicted is very evocative of post-World War I 1920s in Paris & some of the advertising artwork of the period. The name translates to "The Blonde Lover"!

From the bottle (translated from French): "Winemaker's beer with Chasselas grapes"; "Ingredients: Barley and Wheat Malt, Hop Flowers, Grapes and Fresh Yeasts"; "dry hopped Simcoe"; "Winemaker Nicolas Pittet Savuit-sur-Lutry"; "Three Ladies Beer".

Ah. mademoiselle, je suis fasciné et ravi par votre compagnie! S'il vous plaît, asseyez-vous et rejoins-moi pour un verre. I gently prised off her cap, whispering soft, sweet things, like "marshmallows" in her ear the entire time. I was utterly gentle in my pour, although she begged me to be more aggressive. Once decanted, I gave her contents an aggro swirl in the hopes of frothing things up, but to no avail. She was as flat as a board! Her color was a beautiful Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity, prompting a coitus interruptus visit from the Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus, until they saw what we were up to! I guess that even mythology has some modesty. I breathed deeply of her wild, musky, untamed scent & was rewarded with odors of the barn where I first met her. Oh my. I pressed her against my lips & drank of her tartness. It would be a mistake to describe her as "Sour", since I did not get a puckering quality. Instead, the had a vinousness like dry white wine with that tartness that always seems to get me in the hinges of my jaw. There was no question that grapes were involved in the production of this beer. Finish was dry, bit not in a hop-driven way. Instead, it was very white wine-like, moderately tart, but eminently drinkable. I am not a fan of Sours/Tarts/Wild Ales, so if this was to my liking, it probably marks it on the low end for its fans. You may recall that I was gentle in my initial pour & that was for a reason. I like to try and achieve clarity on the initial pour, leaving the lees on the punt for one last taste. I know that many people eschew the lees & dump them out, but I find that their ingestion keeps me a regular guy. We got the mud out of her system as a result of my final pour & she had a look of relief. The nose was now truly funky! We did the Super Freak as I gulped her down in one quick swallow. Thanks for a good time, baby! I hope to run into you again.

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

3.66/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is a little hazy light yellow in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of fruit are present in the nose—lemons and white grapes seem to stand out in particular.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste is quite fruity and has flavors of lemons and white grapes along with some hints of Belgian yeast. No alcohol is perceptible.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little thin on the palate with a low to moderate amount of carbonation. No dryness is perceptible.
O: With all of its fruity flavors, this beer drinks a lot more like an English Pale Ale compared to a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, especially since there is no dryness and any traces of alcohol are well hidden from the taste.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

3.51/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is grapes and slightly perfumed and musty. The flavor is grapes/pale grapes, fruit, malts, mild sweetness and a long and very tart/very slightly dry finish.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.43/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

the weakest offerings i have had from these guys by far, and i say offerings plural, because this is actually two different beers now. there is a white grape and a pinot noir edition, neither of which is particularly amazing. i dont know why i expected them to be wild ales, but they really arent, and they are both woefully under carbonated, although the artwork on the bottles is gorgeous. the red one has a nice pink color to it, and looks good. the white one is almost dead still, not a bubble or a speck of head to be found anywhere. they both smell weirdly yeasty, not wild, but not like a classic belgian strain either, and the contribution of the fruit in both of them is as an accent flavor not a chief agent, which i am completely fine with. not much hops going on in either, although i do like the red grape edition much better. its more lively with the fruit and frankly more flavorful. they are both brutal with the carbonation, and this is not a style to have flat, thats for sure. i also dont see them benefiting from being 8% abv, they would be just as good at 6%, but what do i know. its good these brought me back to reality, i have had some top notch stuff from these guys of late, so good to know they arent invincible.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.5/5  rDev +21%