Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

L'Amoureuse Blanche | Brasserie Trois Dames

Brasserie Trois Dames
Switzerland
brasserietroisdames.ch

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

It’s thanks to Raphaël’s friendship with Nicolas Pittet and Pierre-Alain Dutoit, winemakers from Lavaux/Vaud, that the L’Amoureuse beers were born. They’re real hybrids – born of a combination of dry Saison and the freshly-squeezed juice of local grapes, blended and fermented together. The result is a relatively dry beer with a light, fruity, vinous nose. Unfiltered, unpasteurized, and refermented in the bottle, the L’Amoureuse will continue to evolve and grow more acidy over time thanks to the wild yeasts that occur naturally on the grape skins.

Added by GRG1313 on 07-17-2012

Reviews by DrinkSlurm:

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ale brewed with grapes according to the label.

Pours a hazy yellow with orange tints and a yellow/white thin head that quickly fades.

Nose is full of fruity waxy esters of bananas and pears. I don't get even a hint of grapes in the
nose despite what the label says.

Mouthfeel is medium thin but strangly balanced with light carbonation and is actually very inviting. There is a good, albeit light, citrus sour acidic character

Flavor profile is almost single dimensional of light watered bitter orange juice. It is overwhelmingly similiar to a watered down version of a homemade squeezed orange juice when the oranges are not sweet and you've diluted it with some carbonated water. There is 8% abv in there somewhere but you sure can't find it. EDIT: The foregoing is still my reaction. However, several months later and out of a regular bottle and not the swing top bottle initially tried (not that that makes a difference) the flavors profile is still the same but seems much more appealing to me. Perhaps it's just a matter of my taste. But, I believe that this could become one of my regular "go to" bottles with a very friendly "sour 101" character.

Flavor is a bit sour orange with the white pith flavor; I can't help going back for more. Sour citrus, white pith orange tones all around and into finish. Second bottle seems to have an "orange cream" undertone that is pleasant and inviting.

Finish is light bitter orange; almost a cross between a light bitter and a light sour character in flavor profile and finish.

I didn't really like it when first tried but I couldn't stop drinking it. But, then again, I never really disliked that "bad" orange juice I used to get from oranges picked too early. People are going to love or hate this one. My second bottle months later, I've decided that I like it quite a bit. (First score was 3.9something. Edited score now appears here as of new tasting 5/19/13.

4.54/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.42/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: sunny yellow, cloudy, bone white finger of head, light lace

Aroma: big musk, grape skins, yeast, fruit, lemon.

Taste: grape musk, tart lemon, yeast esters, dry fruit, cereal, herbs.

***Interesting. Taste is much better than the aroma, making it a little disjointed. Decent feel and medium carbonation don't add too much to the affair. The ABV is far from evident, so it's fairly drinkable in a refreshing sort of way.

3.71/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is a little hazy light yellow in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high white head that quickly died down, leaving a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of fruit are present in the nose—lemons and white grapes seem to stand out in particular.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste is quite fruity and has flavors of lemons and white grapes along with some hints of Belgian yeast. No alcohol is perceptible.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little thin on the palate with a low to moderate amount of carbonation. No dryness is perceptible.
O: With all of its fruity flavors, this beer drinks a lot more like an English Pale Ale compared to a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, especially since there is no dryness and any traces of alcohol are well hidden from the taste.

3.36/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

yeasty and musty fruity aroma
dark yellow color that is hazy with a white 1 inch head that dissipated quickly
taste is of white grapes with a bit of pepper and is really clean and dry. as it warms up you get a little bit of Belgian esters that linger in the aftertaste.
Taste does not live up to the nose, but on a warm summer day there would be no detection of the 8%abv. a certain panty dropper for sure but not worth my price of admission at 7.99 for a single 11.2 oz bottle.

3.8/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.91/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I picked up this bottle & its sister, Rouge, at the Hunger-n-Thirst bottle shop here in Lancaster, PA a while back, more for the labels than anything else. The woman depicted is very evocative of post-World War I 1920s in Paris & some of the advertising artwork of the period. The name translates to "The Blonde Lover"!

From the bottle (translated from French): "Winemaker's beer with Chasselas grapes"; "Ingredients: Barley and Wheat Malt, Hop Flowers, Grapes and Fresh Yeasts"; "dry hopped Simcoe"; "Winemaker Nicolas Pittet Savuit-sur-Lutry"; "Three Ladies Beer".

Ah. mademoiselle, je suis fasciné et ravi par votre compagnie! S'il vous plaît, asseyez-vous et rejoins-moi pour un verre. I gently prised off her cap, whispering soft, sweet things, like "marshmallows" in her ear the entire time. I was utterly gentle in my pour, although she begged me to be more aggressive. Once decanted, I gave her contents an aggro swirl in the hopes of frothing things up, but to no avail. She was as flat as a board! Her color was a beautiful Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity, prompting a coitus interruptus visit from the Gelt Gang of Mammon, Midas & Croesus, until they saw what we were up to! I guess that even mythology has some modesty. I breathed deeply of her wild, musky, untamed scent & was rewarded with odors of the barn where I first met her. Oh my. I pressed her against my lips & drank of her tartness. It would be a mistake to describe her as "Sour", since I did not get a puckering quality. Instead, the had a vinousness like dry white wine with that tartness that always seems to get me in the hinges of my jaw. There was no question that grapes were involved in the production of this beer. Finish was dry, bit not in a hop-driven way. Instead, it was very white wine-like, moderately tart, but eminently drinkable. I am not a fan of Sours/Tarts/Wild Ales, so if this was to my liking, it probably marks it on the low end for its fans. You may recall that I was gentle in my initial pour & that was for a reason. I like to try and achieve clarity on the initial pour, leaving the lees on the punt for one last taste. I know that many people eschew the lees & dump them out, but I find that their ingestion keeps me a regular guy. We got the mud out of her system as a result of my final pour & she had a look of relief. The nose was now truly funky! We did the Super Freak as I gulped her down in one quick swallow. Thanks for a good time, baby! I hope to run into you again.

3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

3.66/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

3.68/5  rDev -2.9%

On-tap at Stone Sour Fest

Pours a lightly hazed straw color with a white head. Nose is reminiscent of a witbier. A light lactic tartness along with some oak and white wine. A mild spiciness of coriander. Maybe a hint of citrus. The flavor has a touch of grass, some oak, white wine, and the same basic witbier characteristics of the aroma. Very light acidity to the flavor. Light in body with moderate carbonation.

3.55/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a bright, yellow-orange color and a hazy texture. There was a half inch of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Above average lacing.

S: Had an aroma of fruit, yeast, and some malt. Typical of a BSPA, but not particularly overwhelming.

T: Tasted of Belgian yeast, a hint of malt, some esters, fruit (apples, orange), and mild spices. A bit on the thin side. Not a bad flavor, but not quite dynamic enough.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is a decent enough beer, but doesn't necessarily measure up to others in the style. Not undrinkable, but there are better options.

3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

8.00% confirmed. Acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood, California a few days ago. Served into a conical USC mini pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the appeal of the label.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour head of decent cream, nice thickness, and great retention. Colour is a hazy yellow-gold. Reminiscent of a hefeweizen. Nontransparent yet vibrant. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Aggressive yeast and biscuit malt, lemon grass, clean malts, clove, banana peel, and a maizey sort of fresh crisp barley character. A fresh, appealing, alive aroma. I'm excited to try it. Mild in strength.

T: Orange peel and clean bright malts are the first thing I get. Little if any cream. Fantastic biscuit malt and pleasant yeast. Banana and clove from the yeast. Light lactic character. Lemon grass throughout. Pleasant floral hops. Simple but nicely balanced and built. Refreshing and clean. I like it. Not particularly subtle, but it's got depth of flavour.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Refreshing and clean. Complements the flavour nicely. Not too thick or too thin. Not too heavy or too light.

Dr: Extremely drinkable. I could down this all night. Very clean and refreshing. A fantastic summer brew. I look forward to trying more beers from this brewery. An unsung hero of the style.

B

3.93/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: Nice bubbly pour. Quickly dissipating head. Light amber in color.

Smell: Beautiful noise. Almost like a sour. Real funky and tart.

Taste: Yeah, had no idea this was going to be a sour beer based on label. Delicious tho. Good solid fruit notes without over-powering alcohol finish.

Mouthfeel: Very crisp up front and then kind of washes over the rest of your tongue. Not too tart for my liking.

Overall: This beer is a great representation of a sour/Gueze style. Its got clean distinct flavors and balances the acidity well.

3.81/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L'Amoureuse Blanche from Brasserie Trois Dames