Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer | Brouwerij Huyghe

Liked:
3.48/5
Alströms:

2.75/5  rDev -21%

A: hazy red with a little wispy head

S: strawberries, tons of sugar.

T: same as the smell basically, super sweet and barely anything else going on.

M: syrupy and heavy.

D: well, i don't think i'd want another anyways. nothing special here, there are much better fruit beers out there.

2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

2.89/5  rDev -17%

Poured ontap, a hazy dull red in appearance with some pink colored foam.

The beer smells quite fruity, strawberries fill the nostrils.

Taste is more akin to a strawberry soda than a true beer. Dull lambic qualities and over the top fruit and sweetness dominate the palate. It succeeds fairly well with the strawberry taste, the only downfall being the lack of beer qualities. Malt body is faint. If strawberry soda is a favorite of yours, you must try this beer.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lingering sweetness.

Drinkability: A sweet strawberry beer sure to please the ladies and non-beer drinking friends.

Had on tap at Rose Alley, New Bedford

Appearance: moderate carbonation, 1/2 inch head, fluorescent pinkish-purple in color, cloudy

Smell: strawberry cocktail

Taste: strawberries, passionfruit, some wheat. Kinda like a strawberry cocktail.

Mouthfeel: sweet but not as sweet as I expected, medium carbonation throughout, light body

Drinkability: I dunno, I guess this may be a beer. It tastes more like a strawberry cocktail that I would expect to get on a cruise ship. As an overall beverage, it is not bad. But if you are looking for a strawberry beer, go with Covington’s or Sam Smiths

2.9/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I didn't like the beer at all. I loved the look of the bottle and that's pretty much it.

I tried this beer in a wheat beer glass. The color is nice with it's pink color and the smell is just pure strawberry, wich smell really good.

But I just found that it taste more like a strawberry cooler than beer. I reviewed it on 3 separate occasion with different kinds of glasses and directly from the bottle but I still didn't like it. Althought I found it better tasting directly from the bottle.

2.9/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

So I've shyed away from Früli until now, mostly because I thought it was a straightforward super sweet fruit beer. FInally reading the back of the label revealed that it's a white ale with spices and strawberry juice. Sounds like an alright choice for aSunday afternoon. On to the beer:

All 250 ml of the bottle fits inside the Hoegaarden glass. It looks more like a fruit beverage that a beer with its pinkish, beet red flesh. The foam on top is low and creamy in texture, slowly dropping off the edge of the glass. The smell of sweet strawberries are met. While pleasant, it smells more like a juice with added sugar than sweet and tart strawberries. I'll learn more whe I taste it.

My nose was correct. Tasting it, it is a very sweet strawberry flavor. On it's own, it could be okay. With a white ale backdrop, the fusion doesn't get along great. Spiced coriandor interupts the strawberry juice and becomes unappealingly spicy and bland. The low yet bubbly carbonation doesn't help much in this case either. While it is somewhat drinkable, it's not wildy appealing.

I've had worse fruit beers than Früli, though I'd expect better from the makers of those pink elephant beers. Not balanced well enough.

2.91/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance - Comes in a nice bottle with a red foil top which is a bit tacky. Grapefruit juice like color as expected with a nice inch of pinkish foam that laces fairly well with a retaining head. The beer itself has a cloudy, which makes me question it some, but I'm honestly not sure if that's normal for a fruit beer.

Smell - A nice smell of strawberries and sugar with an almost sparkling wine scent to it. I think I might be catching a little bit of barley and orange in the background but it's overpowered by the sweetness.

Taste - Well, it's not a bad taste that this beer has, it's that it honestly tastes more like I'm drinking sparkling, strawberry icewine with less of a kick. It honestly tastes like strawberries with a light syrupy taste with a touch of coriander in the background. There is practically no wheat, grain, malt, hop or any beer like qualities to this drink.

Mouthfeel - You don't really see it in the beer, but there is a bit too much carbonation. If the beer tasted more like a beer, this would be ok, but because it tastes so fruity it comes off with the taste you'd expect from spoiled juice. Aftertaste is nice though and a bit dry and certainly doesn't linger.

Drinkability - This beer is quite light, and not that hard to put down, but honestly, as a beer, this stuff is not drinkable. I know I have a sweet tooth but not an entire pint worth of it. Honestly, if you served it in sniffers or even tall shot glasses I could see it being a decent oddball desert drink.

Final Thoughts - Upon reflection, I see why they made the fancy bottle for this beer. This is probably made to appeal more to the sweet wine drinkers crowd. Really, I would have re-branded it a strawberry malt liqueur because it is a beer in name only. The only way I would buy it again would be if I was told to bring something weird to a party.

2.91/5  rDev -16.4%

250mL bottle from the LCBO in Toronto. Pours a nice, cloudy dark brown. Smells like children's cough syrup - ugh. The taste is, not surprisingly, of strawberries. Better than children's cough syrup anyway. This is like strawberry juice. (Well, I suppose it IS strawberry juice.) Which isn't so bad, I suppose - unless you were hoping for something resembling a beer.

2.93/5  rDev -15.8%

Best before January 2007.

A: Hazy, orange-brown, white head, very little retention, but it leaves some lace. Not bad for it's weight, but not impressive for a Wit.

S: Strawberry with an assertive, funky, tartness.

T: Sweet/tart balance tends to tip to the tart side. Fruity strawberries (somewhat fake flavour), slightly bready. It's something different to try, but not very engaging.

M: Light body is acidic & fairly dry. Moderate carbonation.

D: Could be refreshing on a hot summer day, but it tastes a little fake.

2.94/5  rDev -15.5%

Smells like a whole lot of strawberries. Looks like unfiltered apple juice. Taste is quite sweet and strawberry-y, but a touch artificial. Slight bitterness doesn't go well with the fruitiness of the berries. Supposedly this has coriander and orange peel in it as well, but I don't really taste it. I guess this is what one would expect from a strawberry beer, but really, it's just a novelty. Not really a good idea...

2.95/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

2.96/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a cloudy orange-brownish pink which reminded me of what you'd get if you mixed orange and cranberry juices in roughly equal proportions, with the exception of the fairly small light pink head. Honestly, I could barely bring myself to taste it. Smell is, unsurprisingly, dominated by strawberry, but was very sweet, and had yeasty undertones. Not bad, but not beery. Taste is sweet strawberry, like yogurt, but with a slightly tart yeast in the finish. Mouthfeel is flat, rather like the aforementioned juice combo, and drinkability is okay, but I'm put off by how utterly disgusting it looks.

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours out a red clear with very little bubbles.
Smell is strawberry. Very Very Straw Berry. Jelly Jam/ Grandma's preserves. It is sugar and strawberry.
Taste is too sweet for my palate.
Mouthfeel is sugary sticky and doesn't leave the mouth.
Drinkability is not much here. Way too sweet.

Van Diest Früli Strawberry Beer from Brouwerij Huyghe