Delirium Tremens

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens
Notes: Colour and sight: pale blond, the fine and regular effervesce ensures a fine and stable head.
Scent: Slightly malty, a nice touch of alcohol, spicy.
Flavour: Feels like the sound shot of alcohol is igniting the mouth. In reality the tongue and palate are warmed. The taste is characterized by its roundness. The aftertaste is strong, long-lasting and dry bitter.
firstprev| 1701-1725 | 1726-1750 | 1751-1775  | next → last
Reviews: 1,764 | Ratings: 6,072
3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

The pour is a cloudy golden orange, the head is magnific, the lace resplendent upon the glass. Nose is malt, plummish, light hints of fusel alcohol. Front is sweet, the top is middling, the finish is bearably dry, modestly hopped, and benignly acidic. I see why many don't like it, as it is a bit scabrous, even ferine, but then I like the beers that "Bite Back" Ranks #492 on my current 1000 beer master list.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Odd, but I read all the other reviews and I've never had a bad serving of this beer. I may have been lucky, but I've always liked the flavor I get with it. It is a blonder belgian than I usually am attracted to, but it would be amongst the best Belgian Blondes I've had- especially if you've had Leffe, or Stella Artois, which I find very mainstream/ commercial.
It is definitely yeasty, and slightly bitter. I found it a touch heavy on the carbonated side, but generally a nice effort.

3.31/5  rDev -20.4%

This is a really tough review for me. I posted a Forum recently to check what Style these "Belgium Blonds" should be listed under. That sorted (Belgium-Style Pale Strong Ale), it was onto the tasting of one of my all time favourites. Now I have had this in Belgium many times, but this review is for a Bottle that I have here on my desk in US. Man - Weird !!!, its almost as though its not the same beer I remember, but that it is, in a strange Twilight-Zone sort of way. Bad beer, or bad memory??. I'm not sure. Onto the review, a highly carbonated pour, with a frothy head that soon dissappeared into thin lacy lines on the Glass and a scum almost. The spiciness was there - but not the hoppy character I (think I ?!) remember. A strange non-descript mouthfeel, but clean tasting. Orangey-Amber color and very clear - too clear. Again, I recall many DT's with a very slight haze in Belgium. Well I'm confused !!!?. But I have to be honest, I hate to admit this as a die-hard fan, and mark this one as a huge disappointment. At the risk of potential libel action no doubt - I really do wonder to myself if it is the same beer as sold in it's homeland. If it is - it does not travel well. Other than that a "good" beer nevetheless. But Man, for me, what a let down. I will try this again and hope its just a "bad 'un" as we say in England.

3.18/5  rDev -23.6%

I was in the mood for a nice Belgian strong ale, so I went to the cellar to pull out my bottle of DT. Now that I've finished the glass, I wonder if I left it in the cellar too long? Or not long enough? I don't know, but something about the beer seemed a bit off, unrefined... Anyway, it looks great, clear golden yellow with copious carbonation that ensures a fluffy white head and lacing that follows the brew down the glass. Sweet pear aromas, honey, apples; at this point I'm intrigued. The taste, however, is almost too sweet, slightly out of whack. Some nice spiciness cuts through somewhat, but I'm wanting a bit more tang. And there's something very strange in the way the beer feels in my mouth -- a thick, almost toothpaste-like aspect. Odd and a bit harsh. Oh well. Cool bottle though.

3.51/5  rDev -15.6%

Light copper color with a fluffy, sticky, persistent white head. Served in an authentic DT glass with the DT logo and psychedelic pink elephants. Sweet aromas, with the hint of the high level of alcohol. Taste is primarily malty, but not overwhelmingly, with a raisin-y sweetness; alcohol is very evident. Pleasantly warming. A fine Belgian ale (although my feeling is that one is enough in a sitting).

3.2/5  rDev -23.1%

It started out looking and smelling very good. Then it was all down hill after that. The taste was not that good. In fact it was to bitter on the after taste and what happen to the complex flavors? Never picked anything up. So far I've not be impressed with most of the Belgium Ale's I've tried.

3.41/5  rDev -18%

Pours a deep golden color, appears cloudy a bit, with good white belgian lace. On the nose it is super perfumy (don't like), tangy, fruity, zesty, and spicy. The same is on the palate spiciness, fruitiness, sweet maltiness. Overall a decent Belgian, sort of feels like your drinking perfume though...

A very tasty beer that packs a wallop. Clear golden yellow in color, pours with a large white head. Smells quite sweet, spicy, candyish. Starts sweet, almost cloying. Lots of sugar and spice (cinnamon, nutmeg) throughout. Alcohol is fairly noticeable. Medium light body. One makes an excellent nightcap. Two would make a good sleeping potion.

An excellent beer. It is very fragrant and floral. Hints of fruit and spice abound in this one. And these aromas are robust. This is the equivalent of real Columbian coffee - very aromatic and flavorful. The first sip is a bit harsh if you are not ready for it, it will jump up at you. At the end, you may be tempted to have another, but be wary, the ABV will seek and destroy after more than two if these Belgian beauties. Bottoms Up!

1.86/5  rDev -55.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Well, I didnt like it. The alcohol hits very hard in the taste and smell, but there was also a sweetness which I didnt think fit. If you can stand this stuff, more power to ya. I wont be buying any of this in the near future.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Unique ceramic off white bottle, with shiny blue foil. Characters on the label include pink elephants, green alligators, and purple dragons. My sweetie liked the bottle so she bought it. Hmmmm...Well it tastes great ! Pours golden orange/yellow, nice initial fluffy white head, settles quickly but leaves an interesting circle of foam. Lots of sweet floral and citrus smell, very smooooth. Nice sweet taste, not overly carbonated like others in the class (see orval) Very sweet finishes with lots of maltness, almost no hops or bitterness until seconds later. Very very easy to drink (guzzle) 8.5 %abv will sneak right by. Leaves you warm, and fuzzy wondering about those pink elephants on the label. Go ahead and buy it when you see it, you won't be dissapointed. I think it's better than the Golden Monkey in it's class.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Impressively thick and very dense white head. Hazy dark yellow hue. The highly appetizing aroma is comprised of fruity pear and kiwi notes along w/ green apple acetaldehyde. A fragrant floral rose petal note can be discerned as well, and mild phenol and heaty fusels round out the nose. Fairly full bodied when compared to Duvel, w/ a lower carbonation and smoother feel. The rich, sweet, honey - like malt flavors are accompanied by black pepper notes, w/ just a hint of clove. Finishes quite sweet, pleasantly musty and with mellow alcohol warmth. This is a highly enjoyable brew. Delirium Tremens has characteristics of strong golden ales and trippels and falls in between the two styles flavorwise.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

I had high expectations going into this beer, and I am very pleased that they were met on all accounts. Just a superlative beverage here.
Pours a hazy golden body that borders on orange. Bubbly head fades somewhat quickly, but the beer is very highly carbonated. Some other reviews mention this as a problem, but I feel this makes DT very crisp and enjoyable. It fact, it is probably one of the most refreshing beers I have had, even with an ABV of 8.5 - 9.0%. Perilously drinkable.
Hits the nose with a fruity spicyness. Honey on the tongue with some pear and and tropical fruits. Hops are quite subdued, but add stability. Finishes dry with a touch of residual sweetness.
As close to perfection as it gets for me. Wish I could drink it more often. Phenomenal in every aspect.
It may be one of the best I have tried. If not, it is on a very short list.

Update: I downgraded it from straight 5's. Still a favorite, but I may have been overzealous at first.

Further update: Yes, overzealous indeed, but as a Belgian Strong Pale, the availability is a plus. There is some variability, but I like it quite a bit, still.

4.7/5  rDev +13%

You know you've got a strong ale when it comes in a signature snifter style glass featuring pink elephants. The alcohol kick was deceptively well blended in this golden elixer. Definitely a sipper.

firstprev| 1701-1725 | 1726-1750 | 1751-1775  | next → last