Delirium Tremens

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens
Notes: Colour and sight: pale blond, the fine and regular effervesce ensures a fine and stable head.
Scent: Slightly malty, a nice touch of alcohol, spicy.
Flavour: Feels like the sound shot of alcohol is igniting the mouth. In reality the tongue and palate are warmed. The taste is characterized by its roundness. The aftertaste is strong, long-lasting and dry bitter.
firstprev| 1701-1725 | 1726-1750 | 1751-1775  | next → last
Reviews: 1,763 | Ratings: 6,071
2.23/5  rDev -46.4%

The waitress recommended this at dinner last night. For that alone I should have reduced her tip, but she meant well.

The appearance is unfortunately the color of urine! Head falls flat quickly, no lacing. Flavour is a mash up of bannana/grapefruit/spice that misses the mark all around. But somebody's bound to like it!

2.14/5  rDev -48.6%

MUST have been a bad batch. Like someone strained a beer through a sweaty sock, into an emptied but not rinsed ashtray.

The taste was undrinkable, and then the shock of seeing the rave reviews here amazed me. I WILL try this again to see if it's that bad or a bad beer.

2.1/5  rDev -49.5%

Preface to this review: This is my first authentic Belgian ale. I've had other American made versions, which have created an interest for me.
After i opened the bottle, thin white foam started coming out. I KNOW that this isn't shook up, so what is going on? Beer is obviously hoghly carbonated, as it produced a very large head, thin and bubble, on a gentle pour. The beer is a very pale yellow color.
Taste: What in the hell is this shit?! it has the mouthfeel of champagne, and a similar taste. It's like drinking Cold Duck. The only flavors i'm getting are metal, wheat, and grain alcohol. If i hadn't paid $3.50, i would have probably poured this insipid crap down the drain.
I see that this beer is somewhat highly acclaimedby other BAs. Did I get a bad bottle, or what? I don't know. But i'm in no hurry to buy another to find out.

2.08/5  rDev -50%

Pours a pale cloudy yellow. It's a very heady beer with an explosive head that finally recedes and hold at about 2". Lot's of carbonation continues to bubble and stir up the large amount of yeast that made it into my snifter with a careless pour. The yeast looks like chunks of grapefruit or orange peel in my glass. I'm not real impressed with the appearance.
Smells musty and medicinal.
Taste is very similar to a witbier in my opinion. Lot's of yeasty flavors. Citrus sharp lemon lime flavor.
Mouthfeel is very carbonated and I can feel the yeast in my mouth, but that is my fault.
I hate to admit this one was a drain pour. I'd choose the Nocturnam or Noel over this one for the Delirium beers,

2.01/5  rDev -51.7%

Poured into tulip, 11.2 oz bottle

Appearance: very murky orange, descent carbonation, unimpressive head.

Smell: I can't make out much; sour apples?

Taste: This has to be a bad bottle

Mouthfeel: very coarse, not heavy just rough.

Drinkability: My beer is usually finished before the review. I've only had 4 sips of this one.

Overall, I'll have to try this one again from a different store. I poured it like I was pouring a Duvel, and there were abnormal amounts of residue coming out of the bottle, even 1/3 into my pour chunks were coming out. I realize there is a little sediment sometimes, but I've never seen this much. Down the drain with you.

1.92/5  rDev -53.8%

When I poured this beer i was shocked at its dreadful appearance. It looked like carbonated pond water. I thought perhaps they were going for something unique, however one taste told me otherwise. How could a beer that had won so much acclaim taste like moldy wet cardboard??? I have huge respect for the reviewers here on BeerAdvocate so I started reading the best and worst reviews. The best describe an amazing, clear, drinkable beer, and the worst describe exactly what I experienced. I am sure both reviews are correct, and no one is hyping or slandering. My concern is that a high gravity beer should have a good long shelf life, and this bottle was less than three, which points to a quality control problem. It may be unfair, but it is true a measure of a good beer is consistency. I will try Delerium again, but only if someone else pays for it.

If anyone is interested in reading my full review it is at http://www.hopsheads.com/wordpress/?p=185 (this is not a commercial site, just my tasting notes for fun)

1.86/5  rDev -55.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Well, I didnt like it. The alcohol hits very hard in the taste and smell, but there was also a sweetness which I didnt think fit. If you can stand this stuff, more power to ya. I wont be buying any of this in the near future.

1.83/5  rDev -56%

Wow.
This was a present from my oldest son. He was trying to impress me by coming to Beer Advocate for a wonderfully high rating. How do I tell him it tasted like Bud Lite soaked in his high school gym socks? How can ANYone who's tasted really great Belgian ales give this more than a 2? The aftertaste is high rear on the roof of my mouth. My tongue rejected it Someone else on this forum suggested the taste of melted plastic in a cheap beer. I think my rating is better.
No, it wasn't old.
No, it wasn't mis-treated.
The yeast that gave their lives to produce this should be embarrassed.
Minimal malt.
Questionable hops.
It tastes like something I once had in high school when a wino bought us a 6-pack for $20.
Bottom line: I will *never* have this again (unless one of my other kids gives me a bottle - in which case I'll man up and say Thank You while secretly cursing under my breath).
P.S. I wonder if my urine will smell funny after drinking this?

1.79/5  rDev -57%

Got this one from Ludachris from his trip to Nova Scotia. I double checked the label, and it's not due to go bad until Nov 2011, because I'm not going to lie this beer is getting slammed from this experience.

Appearance: Well, this beer has head that both laces and retains like crazy. This of course must lead to why I'm giving it such a low score. The amount of sediment and particles in this beer is outright revolting. The are dark brown particles in the head, and there are pieces; yes pieces of what looks to be dissolved bread in the beer itself. It's so bad, it's hard to even notice the out of control carbonation. Seriously, this would be a 1, if the head wasn't so impressive and even then, I'm half tempted to anyways. If the bottle itself wasn't wrapped in foil, I'd suspect some form of product tampering.

Smell: It does smell somewhat fruity, with a mainly sour apple scent to it and a dusting of hops and a bit of an acidic odor. It's ok I guess, and it's pretty strong but it just doesn't quite sit right.

Taste: Awful stuff, it tastes like bad champagne, made with barely and apples instead of grapes. No hop presence, no transition of flavors and you can definitely tell it has a LOT of alcohol content. I'm being generous on this one though, because I'm assuming something went wrong when they made this.

Mouthfeel: Way too much carbonation, way too much of an acidic presence. The head tastes sandy and the body has the consistency of drinking watered down oatmeal, with all the sediment floating in it. No redeeming qualities here, whatsoever.

Drinkability: You know what, my brain knows better then to drink this past the 1/8 mark, which was pushing it as is. I'm half tempted to strain it though a coffee filter. Revolting to the taste and seems to be souring in my stomach. This is the fastest I have ever drain poured a beer.

Final Thoughts: One time when I was younger, I left a bowl of corn pops at the table during the day, and didn't get back to it until some eight hours later. Needless to say, my parents were less then impressed, but the remains of those over saturated corn pops are what the particles in this beer remind me of, only that they are a bit smaller.

I truly do hope that this was a bad bottle, because this was seriously a joke. Ludachris, if you are reading this, I'm going to take a picture of the beer, just to show you what I mean. I've never had a beer, so highly rated on BA perform so poorly.

1.72/5  rDev -58.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

L: bottle looks awesome and that’s where it ends. Looks like champagne or apple cider.
S: almost no aroma aside from bitter apple and wet dog hair. AKA Bud Light
T: So boring and lack luster. Maybe it’s not my fav style but I drink Duvel a lot and this is terrible in comparison.
F: too much carbonation and yet all the taste is on the back of the palate and is bitter and fainted yet also somehow heavy and nauseating.
O: Couldn’t even finish an 11.2 oz bottle. Only gave it over a 1.0 because of the fact that the bottle looks awesome. Save your money and buy something smoother like Duvel or try my fav category... NEIPA. Overall score 1.75/5

1.3/5  rDev -68.8%

Just disgusting.

It tastes like rubber..

Very simillar to Goudale but even stronger (in the same bad way). I really like sweet beers but those ones. I think it's awfull.

The apparence is weak and the carbonnation is decent.

I didn't succeed to drink 1/3 of the bottle.

Even if this bottle is beautiful, the content is not that amazing.

1.29/5  rDev -69%

Absolutely garbage brew, don't know how they've convinced plebs that this is actually decent.

Tastes like someone's old filthy underwear that's been baked under the Arizona sun for a week. Looks like Bud light and honestly I would prefer a macrobrew over this filth.

Save your money for something better. Much better brews out there.

everyone I know hypes this beer to be the best beer ever, tried it, didn't see the appeal, the taste is sort of like a watered down coke, and not much body.

firstprev| 1701-1725 | 1726-1750 | 1751-1775  | next → last