Delirium Tremens

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Delirium TremensDelirium Tremens
Notes: Colour and sight: pale blond, the fine and regular effervesce ensures a fine and stable head.
Scent: Slightly malty, a nice touch of alcohol, spicy.
Flavour: Feels like the sound shot of alcohol is igniting the mouth. In reality the tongue and palate are warmed. The taste is characterized by its roundness. The aftertaste is strong, long-lasting and dry bitter.
Reviews: 1,764 | Ratings: 6,072
4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

simply, a great beer, very much worth the 10 bucks for a 750mL.

i bought this beer along with some other Belgian beers-Westmalle Triple Trappist and Orval Trappist Ale. i have to say that it was the best one of the three.

A> color was a hazy golden with some of the malt floating about.pale for what the taste offers, never the less a good looking beer. as i poured the head covered about 2 finger's length on the glass...perfect

S>the smell was almost sweet, but bit bitter...like smelling citrus fruit and hint of banana with good balance

T>undeniably the best part and served very cold...as it fills your moth no taste bud is left out..it tasted as it smelled yet on a more bitter side. the alcohol level at first is not noticeable but as the sweetness of it fades the alcohol becomes present. and as you take the next sip combining it with the smell, the experience becomes even better. as i let my last glass warm up some, the alcohol had the same non-intense taste and feel and the taste and smell became more present..a big thumbs up in my book

D>the beer is very drinkable, as i mentioned, alcohol is not very present and taste is also very well balanced and not extreme at all for a Belgian beer. honestly, this beer would go well with a light meal...i would know, had half the 750 bottle with steamed fish touched with lemon.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

My first beer review, so please excuse my lack of terminology and overall knowledge.

Had this beer for the first time on tap at Max's in Baltimore (Maxs.com) in a Delirium Tremens snifter *?* glass. I've tried close to 100 beers and this was the best of the best. I felt like I found a pot of gold.

Poured a solid gold color, slightly above average head.

Smelled delicious. Strong fruits and just overall pleasant.

First sip was memorable. Just amazing. No real taste of alcohol, but a full body with hints of fruit (banana??). Went down smooth as can be.

At the time, I didn't realize these were 9% ABV so I had a 2nd (after a Victory's Golden Monkey tripel and a Chimay tripel. YIKES.

So good that I bought the Delirium Tremens glass from the bar.

Unfortunately, not 1/2 as good in a bottle as on tap. If you are trying this beer for the first time, please try to find somewhere that serves it as it should be served. Cheers.

4.92/5  rDev +18.3%

Golden with lots of sediment after movement.. nice creamy off-white head with excellent carbonation and lace. Spicy Belgian yeast and spicy hop aromas with light fruitiness, cloves, and coriander. Tastes much like it smells and hides alcohol content well. Medium bodied but seems a bit lighter due to carbonation levels.

Note: #1 in Stuart Kallen's "The 50 Greatest Beers in the World" ... times have changed but not far off !!!

Per label: Since 1654

2.003 on cork
Tasted: 04/11/05

($7.19 / 750 ml / 25.4 oz corked and caged white "ceramic" champagne style bottle with bright royal blue foil)

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Without a doubt the best Belgian beer I have ever had and therefore as a result also the best beer I have ever had. If there is any downside to this beer it is that at 8.5% you can't drink it all night long and still stand up... and that is hardly a complaint.

4.9/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I am a bartender and a liquor drinker. I have been bartending for a decade plus now and have been in search of the perfect beer for many many moons. The truth is, I don't really like beer. I know, horrors!!! So when I found this while working in Florida about 4 years ago, I fell hard in love. I guess I am more a sucker for the Belgian ales, and this is the queen. Over all a very enchanting brew with a hint of spice at the tail end, a fragrant nose, nice weight, caramel appearance....you have to love the pink elephant!

Second Review- This time on tap: This is still the most perfect beer ever made.

4.89/5  rDev +17.5%

Had this beer on tap at Delirium. Unbelievable. Best beer I had all night. The perfect combination of hops and malt joining together. Light fruit scents, some spice, a great golden beer with a solid 2 inch head. Alcohol is definitely present at the finish, but a sweet malt presence with a nice crisp floral bittering end. F-my face off this beer is good.

Obviously, I enjoyed this beer, highly recommend it, will try again.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pours golden yellow with a white head that quickly fades. Th beer is fairly cloudy as well.

Smells like clove and banana with some apple and pear.

Tastes sweet. Banana and clove with some apple and hay. Sweetness perfectly balanced out with some peppery spice and tartness.

More carbonated than most beers which makes it more refreshing to me. Best MF in the beer world IMO

Overall this is probably my favorite beer. Great anytime of year and I would recommend it to anyone.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

This is a beer that's a joy to drink, whether all on it's own, or with a light snack. The Belgians have done it again, and no surprise...

The bottle hints towards the inviting nature of this strong pale ale, with comical animals and designs drawn on the label, and boy does it not disappoint
It poured very nicely into a snifter with the head rising and staying up for quite a good time, but less than Duvel's, leaving a lovely lace on the glass.
The scent has a strong citrus potency, with lots of lemon, and some grapefruit. The taste is wonderful, with a full-bodied flavor permeating the mouth like a good party. It's a tremedous pleasure to drink this beer. The carbonation is just right, avoiding the characteristics of a fruit soda, but not so little that would give it a lacking feeling. No alcoholic bite whatsoever... amazing.
Finally, it has a wonderful ability to quench sever thirst. I don't know how. Very much worth the price...

Highly recommended.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Look: Translucent golden blonde with a thick white head. Very active. It would be a shame to to mention how beautiful the bottle is.

Smell: Sweet Belgian candied sugar, pear, honey, clove, green banana, slight hay funk, bay leaf, apricots, lightly floral, fresh cereal grains, and light gold molasses.

Taste: Honey whole grain crust on the attack. This fades to a highly complex body of, dried apricot, ripe pear, lightly bitter floral hops, green banana, hay, bay leaf, golden raisins, and the slightest touch of funk.

Feel: Medium bodied. Strong carbonation that at first prickles the tongue but the gives the beer a slight creaminess. Light alcohol present. Smooth with a dry finish.

Overall: World class. It's so flavor. The complexity is just so enticing to the palate. Each sip offers brings out new flavors and nuance as the beer builds. One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.87/5  rDev +17.1%

Extremely similar to Duvel, this BSPA has its own unique profile. It's a bit spicier and not quite as smooth. Has expected yeast and citrus notes. The aroma is fruity and a bit earthy. There is also pepper and citrus in the nose. It goes down quite easy with the only drawback being a slight thinness.

4.86/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: A cloudy yellow with a coarse bright head.

Smell: This beer smells of pineapple and bready/yeasty goodness mixed with fruits and sweet malts.

Taste: The first thing i have to say about the taste of this beer is WOW. It starts with a SUPER smooth bready and sweet sweet fruity (pineapple, banana, orange) taste and moves into a malty/bready and ever so slightly spicy malt taste with a hint of clove. It finishes with a delicious fruity honey taste that leaves the palate wanting more after every sip.

Mouthfeel: This beer is so so very smooth with the smallest aftertaste of bitterness that leaves me satisfied every time. It almost reminds me of champagne its so smooth.

Overall: Overall this beer has surpassed most of my expectations and will go down as one of my favorites.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Def a strong Belgian beer, but what a great way to end the night with a refreshing pale ale was served in a snifter glass. I had it with fish and chips and went perfectly . I did experience some weird dreams last night. But woke up and with a slight head ache. definitely get it again!!

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Delirium has long been a big favorite of mine, but it only just arrived here in N.C. I poured an 11.2 oz bottle into a tulip glass after letting it sit a little while out of the 'fridge. Not a lot of head, very fine white foam. Beautiful deep golden color, with a great aroma of banana and possibly some apple in there. First hit on the tongue wakes up the taste buds in a big way. I always thought Tremens was a Tripel, but that big initial blast of hop proves it is really the Belgian Strong Pale Ale. It isn't overwhelming, but surprising at the very least. After your buds get over the initial blast, you begin to taste the incredible floral boquet. There's a little coriander, maybe a little citrus. It definitely stays there for quite a while, too. Great lingering aftertaste. Overall, this is just one of my top beer favorites worldwide. Can't beat the bottle and packaging, either. Pink elephants? Have a couple of these, and you'll definitely see a couple of them.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

By far my favorite beer. Before I first drank this beer I almost only drank stouts. This beer as opened my eyes to the whole world of beer. Such a smooth flavor with a peppery aftertaste. I recommend eating with pulled pork or a juicy burger.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

Light Golden color. Smells yeasty and like citrus. Tastes crisp: apples, lemon, biscuits, grass, light hops. Feels: light, carbonation. easy to drink.
Poured amazing, thick head of foam. Fun bottle. Good to share

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Ka-ching! Buttery , creamy, head on top of silky smooth golden body. Aroma and tste are perfect for the style, delicious and not overpowering. Near perfect beer. Absolutely fantastic!

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

A:Pours: Hazy frothy godlen hue with lots of activity from the bottom to the top...as if the head continues to grow after the pouring has ceases

S:Aroma> Fruity but clearly strong and opens your noses fast

T:aste>Complex in melange of fruityness then maltyness.

M:outhfeel. Slick as snot on a kids upper lip, but seriously a heavy thick feeling througout entire quaf.

D:rinkability

4.84/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured into a pint glass.
Smelled of bananas and citrus. Definitely a baked goods type aroma, a Belgian type dealio.
Tastes incredible. This has got to be the best beer you can get in little old Muncie, Indiana. Seriously swearing that this is the most delicious, senses fulfilling beer I have ever or will ever find in this city.
Looks like heaven in a glass once you get past the floaters. Really, they are no big deal. Man up and drink it. You'll be glad you did.
I have to say, it takes a lot to make me get on here a review a damn beer for crying out loud, but this has seriously got game and can hold its own with some of the absolute best.
Get you some!

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

One of the best looking bottles in beerdom. The bottle color/design lets no light in whatsoever, practically assuring freshness. Wire cap holds a dated cork underneath (my bottle was dated 2004) and the whole shebang is wrapped up in foil.

The beer itself looks a lot like a whitbier. The head retains for quite a while, and in my snifter, it never disappeared, or even settled below 1/4 inch. Champagne-like bubbles constantly rising to the surface.

Scent reminds me much of a whitbier as well. Fruity, light, effervescent tones abound. Smells like it is going to be very refreshing.

Taste is a sheer delight. Delirium Tremens is every bit as refreshing as it appears and smells. Like a Belgian whitbier with extra kick and body. The typical Belgian yeasty flavors are kept to a minimum here, which is a plus for me. Pleasantly citrusy, but not overly sweet.

D.T. leaves your palate feeling very clean and reenergized. Good, moderate amount of carbonation.

If I'm having a Belgian beer, Delirium Tremens is pretty much the one for me. I prefer it to all the other big name Belgians and the American made Belgians as well.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

I was so impressed by this Belgian pale.

I love the bottle, which I have added to my overall appearance score above. An opaque whiteish-gray bottle with pink elephants on the label....brilliant! The beer itself poured into the glass a lovely golden color with a pure white head, that lasted almost the entire beer. Maybe it would have faded..if I didn't drink it so quickly from the pure ecstasy of it all.

Great smell, some definite either clove or corriander (can't really tell between the two yet), and that lovely banana smell that lingers nicely on my slightly pedestrian tastebuds as I drink it. In my somewhat limited experience of drinking Belgians, this had all of the characteristics that I attribute to a great Belgian-style ale.

The special bonus was no tangy aftertaste, like it was sitting for too long, or was stored in a tin can. Nice, clear, crisp, perfect!

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

A bottle at Collins Pub in Seattle.

A: Light straw liquid with excellent clarity which had a 1 1/2" white head that dissipated slowly and left a nice lacing.

S: Pepper, citrus hops, and yeast.

T: Peppery up front which transitioned to citrus hops. It had a slightly yeasty finish, but overall I found this beer to be beautiful and subtle.

M: Thin viscosity with a very light level of fine carbonation.

O: A beautiful easy drinking Belgian Strong Pale Ale. World class.

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

I really love the hell out of this beer.
I grabbed a few bottles last christmas and dwell on the memory of DT perhaps a little too much.
Besides the groovy bottle and the wicked looking fluffy mirengue head, this brew has one of the most complex smells I've put my nose to. All sorts of fruit aromas going on, and a more than pleasant maltiness make this a favorite beer to sniff.
The drinking enjoyment of DT is only slightly less exemplary than its odor, and you've got to love the sneaky buzz with this outfit.
DT is a favorite. The only bad thing I can say about it is that I have to drive a hundred miles to get it.

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

Delirium Tremens: Voted “Best Beer in the World” in Chicago’s 1998 World Beer Championship. The award, as well as its ceramic-painted bottle, blue foil wrapping, and other various idiosyncrasies, instantly caught my eye. Even before I was into the world of craft beers, I had heard about it – and man, was it talked up. I’ve sipped it once before, but it didn’t leave a lasting impression on me; I’m glad I can finally enjoy a bottle to myself. Let’s check it out:

A: Pours rich and foamy, a thick golden-yellow body rising with ease. It has the color of wheat and the density of apple cider. The head diminishes almost as quickly as it forms, but tiny bubbles constantly drift to the top of the body. No sediment apparent; still, it looks full-bodied.

S: Pineapple, peach, grape, pear – a fruity, yeasty nose. I’m usually turned away by these types of aromas, but this is different. It’s not that old, dehydrated fruit smell that I get from some other Belgian brews; it’s fresh and sweet. Well done.

T: Wow – was this beer made just for me? Brouwerij Huyghe has managed to augment everything I like about Belgians and diminish everything I don’t like. The sweetness comes in waves, first in the form of grape/raisin, then apricot, then peach, then tart berries. The hops rush in to bring a bitter balance against the fruity goodness at the front, but citrusy pineapple and lemon ride along with it. Phenolic esters are minimal, but still apparent; just the way I like it. I can’t stand when a medicinal taste overpowers good old-fashioned hops and barley. I love the way the yeast makes that short appearance, though – it opens the palate to bigger things. Plus, it wouldn’t be a Belgian without that herbal quality. It finishes crisp, with a tiny bit of alcohol and menthol/piney dryness. In all, a seamless blend of Belgian styling that feels, in some instances, like a fine white wine.

M: Crisp, bubbly, and surprisingly light. For something that looked so viscous, it’s quite drinkable. Be careful, though – it’s at 8.5% ABV, but it almost drinks like a session beer.

O: This is a great example of a brewer doing something that’s overdone in a way that hasn’t been done. I always used to think that the Belgian SPA style was a fairly limited sect, but Brouwerij Huyghe has really shown me that there is a lot of give in this class of brews. For some purists, this may be too different for them to like, but this is by far my favorite Belgian SPA. And for me, I feel it will be very hard to beat.

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

Ifn this ain't the best Belgian style beer I've ever had. Can get expensive at $7 a can but it's all good. If I can have a whole fridge full of this liquid gold.. well hoo doggies! Get you some folks! Especially during the holidays..

4.81/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

8.5% abv..the head on it from the initial poor was unreal, the "floaters" were out of this world..ive had beers with floaters in them before, but there were so many in this that they were even stuck in the head and on the sides of the glass as it emptied..absolutely delicious belgian that i will have to get again

light fruit in the flavor along with Belgian yeast..light and effervescent all the way from the first sip to the last..i had to look for this for a long time before i finally found a bottle on the bottom shelf of a hole in the wall liquor store outside of Boston..glad i spotted the blue foil top..this is a must get for any belgian lover

Delirium Tremens from Brouwerij Huyghe