Delirium Tremens | Brouwerij Huyghe

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-02-2001

Reviews: 1,663 | Ratings: 5,609
4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Purchased from Strong Brothers Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN.

(Beer tasted and notes taken on 11/21/05. Verbatim notes follow.)

"Opaque yellow-orange body, thick white foamy head. Nice citrus aroma, a touch of Belgian funk at bottom. Sweet, no hops. Hints of cantaloupe? Strong taste of oranges, nice flavor of Belgian yeast. Finishes smooth, almost like a witbier or hefe. Mouthfeel thick, with heavy body and moderate carbonation. Leaves pleasant aftertaste and coating. Nice tart flavor as beer warms. Very drinkable -- beer shows enormous complexity as it warms."

I also drank a 750mL of this on New Year's Eve -- a friend of mine who does not drink alcohol at all drank and enjoyed a glass of this while I finished off the bottle. A nice celebration beer, for me.

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours from the 11.2oz coated bottle an apple cider color with a thick frothy white head. The first thing that strikes me is... Yeast. Hmm. Yeast floaties - strike that, yeast colonies - no... yeast metropoli. Either I did something to disturb my yeast, or I should have decanted it more carefully, or there's something wrong with my beer, or I'm being overly sensitive. But this thing is totally full of kind of gross yeast chunks.

Smell is marshmallowy, citrusy and ciderish; Lemon peel, clove, a tiny hint of strawberries and a final bang of bananas that I didn't expect.

The taste is crisp and sharp across the whole palate; Sugar coated orange rinds, perhaps, a few spicy tastes of clove and coriander. Whatever the flavors that my tongue can't decipher are, they're zingy and crisp.

The carbonation that I really like in this kind of ale brings this one down a bit, and as it warms there's an unpleasant estery alcohol bite. What I want to say but should restrain myself from saying is that this reminds me of Duvel but is a little less refined in appearance, flavor, and presentation. Worth trying, if just for the fact that you can joke about the name and bottle with friends.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

On-tap @ the Lava Lounge in Waterloo, Iowa..

Dark gold color with an enormous head of oily foam. Abundant spices both in the aroma & taste..cloves and coriander have their way with it. The Belgian yeast runs rampant in this puppy as well. Somehow the wide array of yeasts, spices, and thick malts come together to make a pretty damn good strong Belgian ale. Fresh on-tap, this is a very solid Belgian... though, I must say, I didn't see any pink elephants..

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this ne thanks to my non BA brother, and a friend who flew from Chicago to México with this bottle and another two. :-)
Glass bottle, painted to imitate ceramic.

Pours a golden yellow, with some orange hues. Nice compact and white head, almost no lacing.

Smell is what you expect of a Belgian Strong Ale: Fruity, spicy, yeast.

Taste is medium round, nice balance between malts and hops; really hides well its alcohol.

Mouthfeel is somehow tangy, not from carbonation; some spiciness and
mildly bittter end.

Drinkability is not high due to it's 8.5% ABV (not 9%), but this is a classic sipping beer and can have it often if I only can put my hands on it.

¡Salud!

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

This one had a nice, large head of foam. A partially cloudy yellow with an orange tinge, it looked like the rhine of of a grapefruit in color. The smell is fruity, with some citrus flavors, and maybe banana too. The taste is more of the same, fruity and tarty, not very bitter at the finish. It has a light to medium mouthfeel with loads of bubbly carbonation. The 9% alcohol is well concealed. Not the best of its class, but it is nonetheless a great Belgian Ale that I enjoyed very much...

4.17/5  rDev +2.2%

Wow, this beer has one of the nicest pours I've ever seen. Usually when I pour a hea really doesn't start to form until I pour it straight down into the middle of the glass. Not true with this beer, right off the bat there was a head. The head is white in color is is not quite as creamy as other beers I've had. this type of head reminds me more of soap suds than of cream. There is also lacing along the side of the glass. Good head retention as well. There is always a nice head on the beer. The color is that of straw and the ale looks highly carbonated.

The aroma of this beer is kinda weak. I can't really describe what it smells like. One thing that came to mind was stale butter popcorn. It also faintly smells(after tasting it) like sparkling grape juice/wine.

This, being a Belgian Strong Pale Ale, is much different than a Belgian Pale ale in my opinion. Usually I am not one for Belgian Pale Ales but I really like this one. Its taste is very much like sparkling grape juice/wine. I can also taste an apple type of flavor in this beer. Not really that much of any type of hop or bitter taste. I can also taste the alcohol right in the back of this one, its just there, hidden-like but able to be found.

The mouthfeel here is great. I really do like it. It compliments the sparkling grape juice flavor. It feels just like sparkling grape juice in the mouth. However I think that if the carbonation were a bit, and just a bit stronger so that it would last longer in the mouth and tickle the tongue a bit more, it would add to the beer. This beer also finishes dry now that I sit here after a few minutes without a sip and think about it. It is easy to drink and when I see this again I think I'll grab another one. Just wouldn't want to drink this when not in the mood, also don't think that I could drink to much of it in one sitting.

3.6/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance: Pale, nice very thick head, slow carbonation, Great head retention perfect lacing.

Smell: Citrus and alcohol. Floral hop aroma. Sweet fruits

Taste/ Mouthfeel: sweet fruits, some caramel. A lot of flavours. Definite alcohol bite.

Drinkability/Overall: Great beer. Quite strong and bitey. More of an advanced tasting beer.

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

Grabbed a 11.2 fl oz. bottle from BevMo!

Poures a light golden yellow with a nice ring of white bubbles for a head. Lots of nice carbonation.

Very big spicey floral aroma combined with a nice lemon zest citrus and a beady yeast smell.

This brew has a very thin airy texture like champagne. Sweet maltiness, very spicey with hints of black pepper and coriander. Citrus flaors of lemon and bitter orange peel. Big burning alcoholic phenols in this brew. I'm burping like a bastard due to the massive carbonation.

Very ice fruity spicey beer, I really like this one a bunch, I'll have to pick up some other bottles from this brewery.

Cheers!

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%

The bottle is really great looking. I like the pink elephants and lizards. The amber bottle is painted to look like stone or ceramics. DT pours a cloudy orange color with a huge white head. The head shrinks down to 1/2 inch and hangs in there. Some minimal lacing. The aroma begins as soon as the cap starts to bend under the opener. By the time you pour it into the glass, the aroma (something like a Hefe Weizen) is very pronounced. This is my first Belgian Strong Pale Ale. I thought DT tasted very much like a Hefe. There is a citrus and astringent taste but the astringent part is much more balanced and acceptable than any Hefe I have had. I did not notice the high alcohol from the taste. The mouthfeel was good, not too heavy or light. If I didn't know and respect the ABV, I would consider this very drinkable, especially for someone who likes Hefe's better than I do.

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer was served in a tulip glass. It came a honey gold with a half centimeter of foam rubber head. The bubbles in the glass were lazily making their way to the top in no particular hurry. Didn’t leave much lacing, however. Smelled of honey, light brown sugar and pears with a spicy pear-like yeast and a little banana. Tasted of smooth light molasses, pears, banana, plumbs and green grape. There was a clean, dry spicy yeast here with a slight hop finish. The mouth feel was very heavy, but not very viscous with only a slight carbonation. Kind of felt watery. This is a very nice beer, but the mouth feel is a big turn off.

I must say, I had this on tap this time, but EVERY time in the past when I’ve tried a bottle, there were huge clumpy yeast balls floating around in it.

Pours a cloudy yellow color with a thick fine textured head. Spices mingle with a citrusy aroma, very similar to a hefeweizen.
Taste is slightly bitter with a citrus overtone, spices assert themselves quite well. Creamy mouthfeel with a lingering bitterness on the palate. Overall, a pretty decent beer but not the best that Delirium has to offer.

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance: The first thing I notice is the VERY big, white, soapy head. The beer itself is a semi-hazy golden-bronze. A sassy-looking ale.

Smell: Very complex. Yeasty, bready, clove-infused, somewhat vinous. A lot of fruit/vegetable aromas, including celery, tomato, bell pepper, and apple, and there's definitely a sage-like character to it. Smells a bit like sake, too. Alcohol is highly detectable. Wow!

Taste: Hmm... not what I expected. Bread/yeast are the dominant flavors, with some stewed tomato-like sweetness and tang and light, herbal spice. Would go well with Italian or Chinese food, or any cuisine high in glutamates.

Mouthfeel: Nice body. Very smooth and slightly chewy.

Drinkability: The high alcohol (and price) is a tad prohibitive, but this is very drinkable. Would be great to serve at a dinner with friends. Strong enough to stand up against flavorful foods, subtle enough to not be intrusive, but interesting enough to raise some eyebrows. Good stuff!

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%

This is my first Belgium Strong Pale Ale, and it is certainly a nice one. I was very pleased by the design of the bottle. Not incredible detailed, but it did seem kind of an interesting choice for a bottle. It had some nice figures on it that kept you curious as to what laid inside. The creamy white bottle texture set the mood as to what would come next.

A: Lasting foamy white head, golden body, and somewhat cloudy texture. The appearance is what I expected. The head was pretty nice though I thought.
S: Strong smells of sweet exotic fruits and spices that give this beer a lot of character, not like anything I’ve smelt before.
T: Lots of carbonation! Even more of those sweet fruits with some spice and hops mixed with a bit of bitterness at the end which grows stronger as it warms. It has a bit of a candy like sweetness especially due to the high carbonation I think.
M: High carbonation levels that shock your tongue and palate a little, it has a bit of an alcoholic kick about it as your taste buds warm up to the taste, or maybe they hide in shock. It does leave an interesting aftertaste.
D: Not the most drinkable beer out there, especially initially. It helps to drink this one slowly at first because it does get smoother as you drink it. Maybe it has something to do with the carbonation and blend of fruits that just keeps you from taking it all in too fast. I don’t know if I could drink too much of this, but in a lot of ways it can be very comforting, especially on a cold day. The alcohol levels should keep most satisfied. I started to feel it long before I was finished.

I am looking forward to trying this on tap sometime soon. Good beer that had a nice lasting impression on my palate, definitely not the first thing to have in a drinking session. As for my first BSPA, I will definitely search out some others because I am quite impressed by the style.

3.42/5  rDev -16.2%

With it’s very remarkable label with the pink elephants, this one draws very much attention.Color was dark orange, little murky, lots of flaky yeast, Too much carbonation for my liking.
The smell was that of malt, hops and fruity, spicy. Also some solvent-like smell, like Westmalle tripel.
Taste was malty, fruity, loads of hop, bitter, herbs, straw and very dry. Measuring the FG was 1006. From well informed sources I know that this beer contains grains of paradise, ginger and coriander, which explain the fruity, exotic taste.
Aftertaste was bitter, but this faded away pretty fast.

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Pours a mostly clear golden color with a half inch of head made up of small white bubbles. I poured it a bit too aggressively, so I go a tad of sediment from the bottom of the bottle :-( The head stayed for at least a minute to fall to a small ring maintained by the bubbles rising.

Aroma: Super reserved aroma. I get a little citrus from what I believe are hops, and there is a bit of a Sulfur aroma that I am guessing is the result of a bunch of Pilsner malt. There is a dry wheat-like aroma noticeable as it warms a bit. As well, there is a bit of a metallic aroma coming out in the warm beer.

Taste: The beer is really dry and refreshing. I expected it to be a bit chewier from the aroma, but instead the beer is well attenuated and fizzes its way right across your palate. There is a lemony citrus component that I didn't get in the aroma at all. It shows up in the middle of the profile. The beer finishes dry with a minimal chalky flavor to mix with the warming to linger long into the finish.

Opinion: When you get a beer like this, it is hard to classify it. It is in the same category as Duvel, but it is in no way a Duvel clone. This beer is flavorful, while it has a reserved aroma. It is really clean, but I am afraid that this beer may be oxidizing a bit to make the dry chalky flavor more noticeable. This is a tasty beer, but I would like to look for a fresher example.

3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

I am drinking the ale from a chalice-style glass.

Appearance: Golden ale, very translucent. No sediment or other unknown floaties noted.

Smell: I've got a bit of a cold, but I clearly smell some spices (maybe a touch of honey?). The smell is pleasing, and I can smell the alcohol in the brew.

Taste: Clean, crisp taste. There is not an overwhelming hops taste. I also clearly taste the alcohol, as this weighs in at a hefty 8.5%. The balance is nice though and I don't feel like I am drinking liquor.

Mouthfeel: Feels very nice on the palate. Spices again come through when the ale is allowed to warm on the tongue. There is a bit of an alcohol aftertaste, although it is fleeting and does not drag down the beer.

Drinkability: This beer fits nicely into the style. It is strong but very drinkable provided that you have a designated driver. I encourage the drinker to allow the beer to warm up a bit to room temperature, as it brings a whole new level of taste to the beer.

4.12/5  rDev +1%

Pours a hazy pale gold, with a nice two finger head slow slowly fades to a thick cap, and leaves thick sheets of lacing.

Smell; citrus, hay, cloves, and just a bit of alcohol.

Taste; cloves and spices, a little lemony citrus, followed by that barnyard hay, and finishing with a bit of an alcohol bite. Mouthfeel is nice and thick, but gets a bit of a hit due to a little to much carbonation for my liking. Wouldn't mind having more of these if they were available in my area.

4.29/5  rDev +5.1%

Nice pale yellow- a good bit hazy. The head is very large and foamy white. As it recedes very slowly, it leaves an ample wet lace behind.

Aroma is very light- nicely fruity, spicy and sweet..

Flavour is yeasty up front- a woody maltiness builds behind, and it finishes with some licorice and spice.

Liquid is just under medium thickness, with a high light carbonation.

Not the most drinkable I've had before....but not bad. There's a hearty core that might get slightly intense if you're expecting something as light as it looks in the glass.

Be well
-UF

3.63/5  rDev -11%

Pours a light golden color, with a fizzing white head that just explodes in the pour, even when poured with care. While it drops down to a cap very quickly, that cap stays around as I can *see* it being replenished just as quickly as it tries to fade. Tons of visible carbonation.

Smells of bananas, cloves, and spices.

Tastes of champagne, limes, and raisins. The hops hit as an almost lemongrass dryness. Very dry but balanced.

Mouthfeel is fizzy, tingly, and dry. It is intensely carbonated, and this thins the body out quite a bit. Probably a good thing, as it would be pretty dry otherwise. An almost vinegar aftertaste is left behind.

It's a slow sipper, due to the dryness and carbonation, but rewarding enough to keep working on. I wonder how it'd stack up after being aged?

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Ah, what a special beer. Beautiful yellow to orange/amber color with an enormous, thick, rocky head that lasts. The smell is heady alcohol with yeast, sweet malt, and more alcohol. It is heady and wonderful. Drinkability is hurt a little by the booze, especially if it warms too much; but don't drink it too cold either. Wonderful stuff really. Perhaps not the most graceful alcohol in the world but very enjoyable.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a light yellowish-orange with a thick (and I mean THICK, watch how you pour this!) head that settles down to a 1/2 finger covering. WOW, higher than expected carbonation, tons of bubbles endlessly rising to the top of the glass. Aroma is almost candy-sweet & fruity. Taste is malty, with some hints of banana & clove thrown in. Very lively and crisp on the tongue with some alcohol bitterness on the swallow. Very smooth and almost TOO drinkable for an 8.5% abv belgian. I may be seeing those pink elephants sooner than I thought!! Damned good stuff!!!

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

Dance with the pink elephants as you enjoy this brew. Pours a light reddish-brown color, with not much head. The flavor is sweet, and seems to change from moment to moment. I can smell candy, spice, and fruit, but all at different sips. And sip you should, because the 9% ABV will trample you like a herd of elephants!

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%

I had this beer on tap at Old Chicago. Very nice ale that I would describe as a combination between a Hefeweizen and a Pale Ale. It has citrusy flavors and a subtle hop flavor that becomes more prominent as the drink goes on.

There is a lot of alcohol in this guy so I think I could not drink many. Despite being a head busting 9% (still a newbie ;)) the alcohol is relatively well concealed.

I would definitely order again!

--Joey

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance: Poured this beauty into a the Delirium Tremens glassware (tulip shaped goblet). Pours with a one inch or so head and a fair amount of carbonation. A great hazy golden color. Head sticks around pretty well and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: Smells very yeasty, fruity, candy-ish. Has a bit of a sweet hay smell to it.

Taste: Tastes is fruity, yeasty, strong, but not overpowering. Catch a hint of the alcohol but nicely balanced considering the content. Great taste!

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is pretty good on this. Full body, glides over the tongue with a great finish. Has a bit of a creamy mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very drinkable beer. This is something I'd make a regular in my rotation if I could afford to do so.

3.62/5  rDev -11.3%

A belgian beer, strong like a fruity, powerful beer like most of the belgian strong beers; beer with generous cuantity of alcohol; good like an appetizer; for cheese and german cuisine; in general a superior belgian beer; full bodied; try serve in a goblet glass; 90% recommended.

Delirium Tremens from Brouwerij Huyghe