Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Delirium Nocturnum | Brouwerij Huyghe

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by Mitchster on 12-12-2001

Ratings: 2,848 |  Reviews: 924

2.23/5  rDev -44.4%

Look is incredible. Very dark, translucent brown with a hint of red to it. The head is very frothy and tan, like on a cappuccino.
The smell is horrendous! Not much there except for a yeastiness and what smells like maybe metal. Not what I was expecting and in no way pleasant.
I find this beer fairly unpleasant. It's interesting, but the yeast is just excessive. At least, I assume it's a mix of excessive yeast and some citrusy hops that's giving it that rotten apricot flavour. Whatever it is, it's over the top. It's starting to taste a little more like fruit and a little less like fungus as I drink, but not enough to change my mind about it. It's really hard for me to discern anything else in the beer. I'm not sure whether there's not much else to it or if it's because other flavours are just being overwhelmed by my dislike of this particular flavour. This is a little better than the Delirium Tremens, which had that same over-the-top rotted fruit flavour to it. This one at least is a dark ale and has some maltiness that accompanies that kind of flavour a little better than in a pale ale. It's still over-the-top, though. Won't be buying this again. This stuff ain't cheap.

2.25/5  rDev -43.9%

2.25/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

2.38/5  rDev -40.6%

Preficed with the fact that I think this was a bad bottle. I had high hopes for this beer. I really like Belgians this one was more than I have been accustomed to.

Appearance - cream and red wine. Very low level of Brussels lace
Taste - odd back of the throat medicinal taste. Not the spicy rich ester, it tasted like the nasty infection medicine I used to take as a kid.
Smell - winey, malty, and estery
Mouthfeel - very thick and heavy on the tounge
Drinkability - high if your on Fear Factor.

I hope I got a bad one.

2.38/5  rDev -40.6%

750ML bottle. Looks neat. Dated "L: 3 5," but neither one goes 1-12 so I don't see how it could be the month? I hope this wasn't on the shelf forever but I got it from a place with great turnover and it's Huyghe's fault for not making the date marking more sensible.

Poured with okay head, poor retention in two different glasses. Dark, looks liks cola, including the bubbles. A fine dark brown. Foam on the side of the chalice, usually nice with BSDAs, is mediocre at best. Bonus .5 for the cool bottle pattern and the elephant.

Smells super sweet with some alcohol. Spiced, generic maltiness, cloves, cinnamon. Bread and figs. Cloves, cloying overall, not too complex. Sourness as it warms.

Tastes of vanilla, clove, and sugar. Some kind of rawness, and the alcohol is palatable. A slight hoppiness that is pleasant.

Mouthfeel is rough bubbles, heavily carbonated, and the aftertaste is a little nasty. Not creamy at all.

I don't see a reason to drink this within the style, aside from the bottle art. Compared to Trois Pistoles and Ommegang, it comes up looking industrial and rough, with none of the delicacies possessed by the other two. Still a nice brew, but for the style, it is decidedly below average.

EDIT: After later reading positive reviews, I should try another bottle. Maybe mine was no good? Maybe they don't make it like they used to? Still, gotta tell it like I see it.

2.39/5  rDev -40.4%

Very dark, brown, red color. Less head than I expected and the head is pale brown. No lacing on the sides as it goes down. Smells slightly of dark cherries, a pleasant smell. But it tastes flat and uninspired. Very little carbonation. The beer is pretty sweet, a little syrupy, and reminds me a little of cherry cough syrup. Flavor is a mixture of dark fruit and malts. The high alcohol content is very well hidden, and that's the best complement I can give it. I remember enjoying Delirium Tremens and so I thought I'd like this one more. Maybe it was just a bad bottle.

2.4/5  rDev -40.1%

Deep shades of mahogany capped by a khaki colored foam that slowly bubbles away leaving a thin topping.

Smells of Belgian yeasts and tons of freshly cut pineapple. Also a slight "funk."

Taste: Metallic. Oxidation? This bottle was sealed nicely, as it opened with a nice pop. Does not seem like a handling/storage error. At 8.5% in an opaque bottle, skunking should not be a problem either. This is really bad; I can't even taste anything good.

Mouthfeel: overcarbonated and way too bubbly. Drink a coke and that is kind of what it is like except maybe even more carbonation.

Second drain pour ever.

2.47/5  rDev -38.4%

Brown ruby. Nice fine layer on the top that lasts.

Candy (gummy bears?), fruit - strawberry, raspberry, little bit of oak. Smells like a soda almost.

I potentially picked up a bad/old bottle. Terrible muddled earthy taste. Dried old fruit.

Awful aftertaste, so much earth.

It must be a bad bottle, I'll revisit it again as Tremens is one of my all time favorites.

2.48/5  rDev -38.2%

2.49/5  rDev -37.9%

A - At first I thought that I had gotten a bottle past its expiration date, but I checked, and it was still good. It pours with a small head and it dissipated oddly quickly. The color is a dark purple with small whitish floaties. The reason I thought that it was bad was because it had floating stuff in it. But reading some of the other reviews shows that it was intentional. I was not appetizer by the look.

S - the smell was j

2.63/5  rDev -34.4%

I'm sad that this is my first review, but here goes:

The characteristics (color, smell) of the beer were nice right up to the point of tasting. There was an overwhelming metallic taste. I fear this was an off bottle, nonetheless I was forced to offer the remainder to the Plumbing Gods.

2.64/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.64/5  rDev -34.2%

2.65/5  rDev -33.9%

Poured with way too much yeast (even when carefully poured). grape - malt aroma. Flavor is painfully bitter mixed with belgian yeast flavor. Dumped it after only a few sips. unpalatable.

2.67/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

02/12/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo.

Presentation- 22oz ceramic bottle with dating code at the bottom. Poured into a generic wine glass (was on vacation and didn't bring any glassware).

Appearance- Dark brown coloring, huge foamy dimpled head and outstanding lacing.

Smell- UGH, smells like a fermentation gone wrong. Highly alcohol with drunk prunes and raisins.

Taste- Very metallic, alcohol up the ass. Like brown ale mixed with JD and turpentine. BLECK!

Mouthfeel- Mouthfeel was adequate. Very warm and slighly burning going down. Highly carbonated also.

Drinkability- I HOPE I got a bad bottle here. I love the Noel and the Delirium is very good also. Hmmm, dare I retry this again sometime down the road?

2.68/5  rDev -33.2%

Delirium Nocturnum

A = Poured dark brown with a massive foam head. Foam dissapated into nothing after 1-2 minutes.

S = Smelt of wet mould. Ugh. Very over-powering.

T = Initial nutty taste that gives way to a dry bitterness. There is a slight sweetness that seems to be similar to that of prunes. Very slight though.

M = Moderately carbonated. Good.

D = Not very drinkable due to the wet mould smell.

2.7/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

2.72/5  rDev -32.2%

750 ml bottle, 2005 vintage

A: Pours a dark mahoghany with a tan three-finger head.

S: Strong aromas of raisins, vanilla, and port with hints of chocolate. Very nice.

T: Poured it cold, tasted nothing. So I waited for it to warm, but to no avail. There is some kind of taste, but it is too subtle and fleeting to be able to identify. There isn't a bad taste, but rather nothing at all but perhaps a slight oxidized taste and a hint of Belgian yeast. Very disapointing after the wonderful smell.

M: Medium bodied and overly carbonated. Feels like sandpaper on the tongue.

D: After the great experience I had with Delerium Tremens, I was really looking foward to this one. Oh well. I'm hoping I got a bad bottle, so maybe I'll try this one again.

Delirium Nocturnum from Brouwerij Huyghe