Delirium Nocturnum | Brouwerij Huyghe

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by Mitchster on 12-12-2001

Ratings: 2,849 |  Reviews: 924
4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

After sampling Delirium Noel for the first time last night, I couldn't get the thought of a delicious Nocturnum out of my head. Although the Noel is an amazing beer in its own regard, the taste kept bringing me back to memories of the Nocturnum. This is my all-time favorite beer and I figured it was high time I reviewed it.

A- An inviting dark red when you look at it under light but otherwise opaque. The color is very fitting for the style and taste. Tan two finger head that dissipates after a few minutes to leave a nice lace on top.

S- The aroma definitely is dominantly apple, a somewhat sour but pleasant smell combined with what appears to be a sugary aroma. Very complex smell with a tingly alcoholic backdrop.

T&M- Absolutely fantastic. One sip reminds me why this is my favorite beer, and it only gets better from there. The Nocturnum feels incredibly silky on the tongue, a perfectly thick-but-not-syrupy consistency that definitely compliments the rollercoaster of flavors. The first thing to hit the buds is apple apple apple. Tart but not too much so, perfectly complimenting the following chocolate/caramel flavoring. This subsides very soon after leaving a dry but pleasant aftertaste. The alcohol reminds you that it's there in the form of a pleasant warm feeling in your stomach as well as a slight spice in the aftertaste. Amazing.

After sampling this beer, I have once again reassured myself that it is indeed my favorite. I couldn't bring myself to rate the Nocturnum as anything less than perfect and I have no reason to as I've never enjoyed anything more. Among the most complex of beers I've encountered but perfect in every aspect. I would be hard-pressed to find a beer that I would hold in as high regard as the Nocturnum. Truly world class among world class brews.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Pours a really deep mocha with a big light brownish head

S - Deep and yeasty with some toasty grains and caramel

T - Whoa. It's pretty chocolately with a little bit of citrus and an alcohol bite

M - Exceptionally smooth.

D - I think I'm gonna sip on this one.

3.44/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

EDIT: This has declined substantially in quality since I last reviewed this. The score will remain the same for this bottle, purchased in France in 2011. The version on tap at Delirium Café is around a 4.8 in my book. The 750ml bottle I purchased in the US recently is probably around a 3.5. Keep this in mind.

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass from a 33cl bottle. No freshness date, for some reason.

Pours a dark, near reddish color that does not allow any light to pass through it. Bottle conditioning plays a big role in creating the completely murky appearance of this beer. Lots of alcohol leggings, as well. Starts with a giant head that slowly shrinks as it warms up. This is expected due to the ABV, however.

The first whiff, unsurprisingly, is filled with loads of alcohol! However, secondary whiffs reveal pretty complex things happening with this beer. Once getting past the overwhelmingly sweet aromas of darkened malts and alcohol, delectable fruity aromas reveal themselves. Black cherries, blackcurrant, rum-soaked raisins, honey - truly a fitting combo. This could nearly be a "dessert beer" if I ever had one. However, the resemblance of fresh dark bread makes it a meal all on its own.

Good God, once it gets to the mouthfeel and taste, this a perfect beer in many ways. So fruity, smooth, creamy and well textured at the same time. Warms up the body like nothing else in the realm of strong Belgian beers. Allows itself to be sweet like berry tarts and end in a bitter, dried manner. Contains an initial texture of creamy dubbels and ends with the smoothness of wine. The alcohol, in many ways, IS the reason for drinking this beer. It sweetens things up in a really marvelous way – and I usually can't stand really sweet ales. The slight roasted taste of the malts makes it really toasty. It's a very welcoming beer, although it should be consumed carefully and respectfully.

Had this on tap at the Delirium Café in Brussels - was even more malty and far less sweet if I remember well. However, the bottle is here to stay and really stands out as one of my favorite beers. It's very hard for anyone NOT to enjoy this beer, as it is dark enough for stout fans, bitter enough for hopheads, sweet enough for dessert freaks, and alcoholic enough for drunkards. Truly a beer that is an inspiration to many beer-lovers such as myself. Bow down to one of the kings of beer.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a cloudy rusty-copper with 1 finger of head that dissipates quickly. Thin layer of webbed lacing and moderate carbonation. Yeast dances around the glass.

N: Concord grape, cherry, banana and a light peppery yeastiness.

T: Ripe plum, cherry and banana upfront followed by fig, date, Belgian yeast, peppercorn and molasses mid-palette. Finishes funky with coriander and clove.

M: Medium-full bodied, creamy, chewy and smooth.

O: A very tasty and easy drinking Belgian Dark Strong Ale. Dark fruits are plentiful and spicing is very balanced and not overwhelming. Excellent yeast notes and 8.5% abv is not noticeable.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

Poured into a goblet. Bottled dates from 2010 poured 11/27/2011.

Appearance: Nothing impressive, pours a cloudy semi-opaque amber. Head is maybe 1/4" settles quick which I do like.

Smell: pretty good but I will tell you this keep smelling it it actually gets better with each initial sniff...your an inhaling a incredible blend of slight chocolate and berry fruits.

Taste: Like I said before slight choicolate and fruits. Not bitter and such a sticky taste that stays with you after finishing each sip.

Mouth: medium carbonation, incredibly smooth.

Overall: Nocturnum is at the top of the food chain when it comes to beer. You will either like it or love it, there is no hate when it comes to drinking Nocturnum.

Delirium Nocturnum from Brouwerij Huyghe