Delirium Nocturnum | Brouwerij Huyghe

Ratings: 2,817 |  Reviews: 916

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

1.88/5  rDev -52.4%

If you enjoy the taste of bottled of farts from Belgium, then this is the perfect drink for you. I was extremely disappointed with how terrible this drink was. I recently started drinking beers from Germany/Belgium after trying a mixed pack of Stella, Leffe, and Hofbrau. I went to the local Total Wine and Liquor and decided to try a Delirium Nocturnum because of the 97% rating from beer advocate. This was a costly mistake on my part.

The beer smells awful, it almost smells like someones breath after mixing Natty Ice with Popov liquor. It looks great poured out, has a rich red color to it, but it's all a trick. Going down Delirium taste like it smells, and it really does have a European fart taste to it, I swear. Almost as if some one was at the deli the day before loading up on smoked gouda cheese, so they could fart into the vat. It leaves an awful after taste in your throat and on your lips. It makes my throat feel like I was up smoking all night. I did like the bottle it comes in, it has great presentation, which is probably to hide how terrible the beer itself is.

Like I said I have just started drinking beers from Germany/Belgium, I am mostly a Rum drinker myself, I do enjoy Stella, Weihenstephaner, Leffe, and Hofbrau, I just don't understand all the hype behind this brew. It really was awful, it wasn't so bad that I poured it down the sink, but I will definitely stay away from this brew. I chose this over Delirium Noel and will stay away from the Delirium brand of beers from now on. I am now on the last drop from bottle, I was so upset that I paused what I was doing to write this review and warn others. For 5$ a bottle this is just no worth it, it would be worth it for 5 cents a bottle, save your money and try something else out.

3.94/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a D'Achouffe tulip. The pour is a bit rushed since this bottle is a gusher, but once I have it under control I get a nice dark reddish-brown beer that's clear as a bell, very effervescent, and sports a big rocky 3 fingers of head that sustains quite well. The nose has lots of sweet bready notes and dark fruits (figs and raisins), but also a somewhat harsh, metallic aroma as well.

The beer is medium-bodied and has a firm feel. High level of carbonation opens up your palate quickly. I get some faint malty notes up front and some fruit notes. The beer has a pronounced grape and wine-like flavor. The beer has a fair amount of dryness to play against the fruit and malt notes.

Interesting beer. It's not sweet and rich like some other beers in this style. It reminds me a bit of Trois Pistoles from Unibroue, only I get no alcohol warmth nor lingering fruity sweetness. A good beer, but not one I'll reach for again.

Delirium Nocturnum from Brouwerij Huyghe