Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Delirium Noël | Brouwerij Huyghe

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by taez555 on 02-03-2002

Ratings: 1,958 |  Reviews: 791
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A bottle from Supermarket in Brussels.
Delirium Christmas.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

So I cracked open this 2010 bottle of Delirium Noel to celebrate Christmas in July. I poured part of the bomber into my DFH snifter glass to find a deep dark amber body with a very small white head that quickly disappeared. The aroma is dominated with dark dried fruits, cherries, bread and alcohol.

The taste is good with a lot going on, you get a ton of the dried fruits, malts, caramel, and a lot of sweetness.

The mouth feel is smooth, heavy and creamy, the alcohol is hidden by the sweetness and it is a very easy beer to drink.

Overall I really enjoy this beer and I usually pick up a bottle every holiday season and I will continue to do so.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured a cloudy rusty reddish brown. A bit darker than I would have thought it to be. Off-white head dissipated quickly, but still laced the sides of the glass nicely. Just like the review next to mine, I too smelled cherry pie, and there is clearly no question that this is high in alcohol content. I liked the smell, it was just that you could plainly tell that there is alot of alcohol present here. The taste was quite malty with a very slight banana tone hidden in the finish. Truthfully, it seems the alcohol concealed most of what potential flavour profile was there. I like this one, it's just heavy on the alcohol and one should know that up front, lest they be quite dissappointed. The mouthfeel was quite nice in that it wasn't too heavy or too light, and the carbonation level was right where I like it to be for this style. Drinkability? This is a really big brew. One 75cL bottle is fine. Perhaps if there were a span of 3 or 4 hours (at least) I might be able to drink 2 of these. Overall, I think I really like this one.

Delirium Noël from Brouwerij Huyghe