Fader

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Notes: Traditional pilsner, brewed with a less is more mentality. Pilsner malt and a touch of Vienna, hopped with only continental varieties of Tettnang, Tradition, Saaz.
Reviews: 12 | Ratings: 41 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by RollDamnTide:
4.17/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Going to the Cubs game. So many American breweries are doing German styles so well now. This is a damn good pilsner. Kind of how I'd imagine the style to taste in Europe. Highly recommended.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

32oz howler, filled on 11.24.19, poured into a Half Acre "occult" snifter glass.

The beer pours a crisp and clear golden color, straw hues with a few bubbles rising to the top of the glass where a foamy two finger head rises, crests nicely with good retention and lacing. The aroma is pleasant, soft pale grain, biscuity with an easy pilsner malt profile and a nice earthy and green noble hop expression. The flavors are good, earthy and raw green noble hop, light bitterness, some grassy and floral character with an easy biscuit base and a lingering mineral water. The mouthfeel is good, coating and lively with a nice carbonated texture and a lightly dry finish.

Verdict: A very nice pilsner from Half Acre. Crisp, bright, refreshing and a nice hop character that is flavorful but doesn't feel too "American" or untraditional. A nice easy drinking lager.

4.26/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

There are times on The CANQuest (tm) when I simply need to step back & take a deep breath. This is one of those moments. I just finished a high-gravity/ABV American Imperial Stout which I feel was overpriced & not worthy of my time and/or $. As such, I want to reCANibrate with something light(er).

From the CAN: "Pilsner".

I scored a way cool Budweiser goblet at my nearby church's monthly Attic Treasures rummage sale & man, this thing had not seen the light of day since the late-1960s! I'm sure that it was part of somebody's estate, but once washed, it was immaculate! This was my glassware of choice as I Crack!ed open the vent. Man, did this Glug beautifully! It was like it could not wait to christen this forgotten goblet with its presence. It puffed up big, forming just under two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, bone-white head with excellent retention. Color was a faintly-hazy Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose initially smelled like proofing bread dough, but then I got a strong whiff of lemon & I was reminded of lemon biscotti from Enrico's in Pixburgh's Strip Dixrick 'n' 'at!

Here we go on another digression, but my first overseas deployment was to La Maddalena, Sardinia in 1985. I was a mostly-broke E-2/E-3 & while senior people routinely went on weekend excursions, I simply went into town, I had an affinity for words and languages so I tried my best to pick up Italian as best I could. One Sunday, while having biscotti & cappuccino, I was approached by a local who was startled to hear an Americano speaking (trying) Italian. Guiseppe was his name & he adopted me as his bocce partner. I smoked Parodi cigars; drank grappa, wine, homemade wine; ate local foods (a LOT of seafood, which was great) & he hooked me up with his daughter, Maria. She & I made a great couple & he & I made an excellent bocce team, but as the end of the deployment grew near, we all knew that it was a fling. We were both like colts, too young to be tied to one another for our lifetimes. Arrivederci, mi amor! To this day, I wonder, but I know how to win at bocce & I know the taste of lemon biscotti when I have it, like now.

Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but definitely big for any Lager-style beer. The taste was how I envision a GER-style Pils: more towards malty, kinda bready, somewhat biscuit, a definite emphasis onna malt, followed by a light grassiness from Saaz and/or Noble hops, but not so much as to be assertive or overpowering, Leave that to the Czechs as a change of pace! I really felt like I was drinking liquefied lemon biscotti. It was a really beautiful beer, lightly hopped, lightly filtered, but with loads of flavor. The finish was dry & refreshing, but what a joy! It was a simple, not overwrought, Lager & yet it outshined so many of its Ale brethren. How many of these CANs CAN I jam into the summer cooler as I head to the beach? This is it!

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Canned on 4/3/18.

A - Pours a clear, vibrant straw yellow gold color with creamy head, nice clarity, and very active carbonation.

S - Straw / cut hay, grassy, dry earthiness, some light citrus, lemon, delicate floral spice.

T - Lemon, crisp cracker malt base, some earthiness, citrus, and finishes fairly clean with some citrus / pine bitterness with a little bit of sweet malt.

M - Big medium body with soft carbonation.

O - This is a well brewed Pils and so happy to see some of our American craft brewers add this style to their line-up. Beers like this are getting me enthused about the style again. Worth checking out.

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

16oz Can
$12.99 4-Pack
Iron & Glass - Romeoville, IL

Fader is a nice looking beverage from the fine folks at Half Acre. Brightly polished pale golden body has perfect clarity. You can read through the body of this beer. Streams of carbonation explode toward the surface and glisten as they do so. The foam is pure white and formed easily, growing t a finger in height. It eventually crackles down to a chunky cap and ring leaving behind some respectable lacing in its wake.

Now that's how a pils ought to smell. Crisp, bright, clean freshly cracked graininess gets it moving. Fresh out of the oven bread. and a squeeze of lemon to further brighten her up. The hop profile is a buzzsaw of grassiness while a soft, vague sweetness rolls around the back.

A soft, well rounded grainy sweetness kicks it off. While there's a touch of sweet it remains crisp and clean. Freshly cracked grains and oven warm bread make up the malt profile. The sweetness is honey like with a whisper of green apple and lemon. The hop profile leans toward grassy and it works well. This is a fine beer.

The body feels like it's leaning toward light in weight but the active carbonation has a hand in that. It's prickly and vibrant with a rather plush feel upfront. It dries up fairly quick on the swallow while a light, balanced bitterness remains. All is in balance. This one disappears in a big hurry.

Fader is a very well crafted, perfectly in balance, how it should be pilsner. It's bright and crisp and refreshing and grassy. A 4-pack isn't enough. I'll pick this one up again in the future.

3.89/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: The beer is relatively clear light yellow in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high bright white head that settled down but consistently left a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a narrow collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of grassy and floral hops are present in the nose.
T:; The taste has flavors of grassy hops along with notes of bready and grainy malts. There is a light to moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I really liked the aromas and flavors of grassy hops in this pilsener.

Serving type: can

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

4.14/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this on 2018-04-14 in Bolingbrook, IL from a 16oz canned on 2018-03-28. Had it again on 2018-04-24 in Columbia, PA.

A - Partially hazy straw-gold with a 1-finger white head and light lace.

S - Lemon baguette, honey and grassy spice. Nice.

T - Honey, plenty of Pilsner malt and some Vienna malt, light lemon, grassy and herbal spice. Appropriately-moderate bitterness. On the sweet side for a Pilsner but it works.

M - Medium body and carbonation.

O - This beer may be a little out of style for a German Pils but it really pleases my palate. I like the honey sweetness that enhances the rich malt. It's like a cross between a Pilsner and a Vienna Lager. I've had it side-by-side with a Jack's Abby Saxony Lager and I prefer the Saxony Lager, but Fader is quite good. Get it if you can.

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The clear bright golden yellow beer pours out into a Duvel glass with a 1/2” head of bright white foam that leaves foam on the sides of the glass as it recedes to a ring of foam and an irregular island on the liquid. Sipping creates small patches and legs of lacing, some of which stick to the sides of the glass.

The aromas are clean and crisp with a hint of lemon, some bready malt and some floral grassy notes.

The flavors are very much as expected from the nose. There’s some bready malt, some floral grassy character with a hint of lemon. The malt sweetness also seems just a bit fruity and the grassy, slightly floral light bitterness compliments it well.

The mouthfeel is on the light side of medium bodied and nicely prickly from the active carbonation. The finish begins as the sweetness fades toward the dry, slightly bitter and floral grassy finish.

Overall I think this is a fairly well made Pils that I’m glad to have tried and expect to be having again. The balance, subtlety and complexity of the aromas and flavors are well done and it is a clean refreshing beer. That said, I’m not thinking this Pils will replace one of the more locally brewed Pils beers that are part of my regular rotation but I intend to give it a chance while it’s available.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

16 oz can poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Straw yellow. Excellent clarity. Short white head.

Nose
Cracker, honeysuckle, floral, grassy, and bubblegum.

Taste
Cracker, lightly toasted bread, and honeysuckle. Grassy and floral hoppiness.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied, crisp, clean, dry, and moderately bitter.

Overall
Very traditional German Pils. Nothing wrong with that!

3.81/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.61/5  rDev +18.2%

I dont always dig on on pilsners but this one is damn good. very overpriced blah blah blah

3.56/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

16 oz can, served in a willi becher glass. Pours a clear golden yellow body, one finger white head, fair retention, thin film, minimal lacing. Smell is crisp bread, biscuit, floral notes. A bit on the sweeter side as far as the palate goes, mild floral and grass, sweet bread and touch of sugar. Mouthfeel is medium lighter bodied, good carbonation, a fairly bitter pilsner with a floral and grassy finish. Solid german pils, a bit heavy on the palate, not exactly one of these "crushable" pilsners as it's on the sweeter side.

Fader from Half Acre Beer Company