Baumé | Half Acre Beer Company

Half Acre Beer Company
Illinois, United States
halfacrebeer.com

Style: American Stout

Big, but not huge, this American Chocolate Rye Stout fires off a lot of coffee and chocolate notes. Balances well, but rides high on hop character at 60 IBU's while the Rye finishes it dry.

Added by emerge077 on 03-20-2009

2.25/5  rDev -42.9%

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%

2.98/5  rDev -24.4%

22 oz bottle poured into SN tulip.

A- Poured nice and black with a dark crema-colored head. So far, so good.

S- Your standard stout aromas are there: coffee, a little chocolate, roasted malt, slightly bready. I expected more rye character, though. The hops did little for me nose-wise as well.

T- Basically tastes like an odd stout. It is almost as if the rye takes it one direction and the hops are pulling in another. I find myself hoping that the next sip will be better but it just isn't happening.

M- Kinda thin, IMO. There is a nice bit of bite at the end of each sip, though. There just isn't any creaminess or richness to it. It drinks more like a runny porter.

O- "Dry-hopped rye stout?" I said(!) "Sign me up!" I came to this beer with no hyped-up expectations; only curiosity and a love of each individual component that Half Acre brought together in this beer. The flavors just didn't work together for me, unfortunately. Perhaps I'll try it again down the road.

3.16/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

Pours black with a plentiful, bubbly head. Aroma is spicy with rye, estery yeast notes, lightly malty. Tastes estery like Belgian yeast, prickly hops, ashy, full bitterness. Finish has bitter chocolate and cookie. Feels prickly and overcarbonated, body seems light. I seem to be in the minority here, but I didn't care for this experience much.

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Flat and black. Slightly transparent at the edge.

Smell - Hoppy. Grapefruit. Spicy rye. Roasted malt.

Taste - Grapefruit hops. Very bitter. Coffee and grassy bitterness. Rye spiciness.

Mouthfeel - Medium low carbonation. Medium body. Very bitterness.

Overall - Just doesn't do it for me. Barely a stout.

3.22/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.36/5  rDev -14.7%

I had this on tap at Sheffield's in lakeview. I really would be doing this beer a disadvantage to truly rate it because I had a FFF brian brau in the other hand. It was a very good stout and would enjoy another. It was extremely untypical with it's hoppy characteristics. Because of my aforementioned opposing beer I will refrain from calling it too simple.

3.46/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Baumé from Half Acre Beer Company