Stargrazer | Half Acre Beer Company

Half Acre Beer Company
Illinois, United States
halfacrebeer.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Stargrazer is a crisp lager, lightly hopped with modern American hops. Stargrazer drinks clean, dry and refreshing, making for an all-around rewarding experience.

Added by MasterSki on 05-01-2013

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

4.08/5  rDev +6%

On-tap at Half Acre. Served in a pint glass.

A - White foam settles to a near-complete cap, thick collar, and splotchy lacing. Transparent golden body with streams of tiny bubbles visible.

S - It's a hoppy lager; a mix of grassy noble hops and citrusy grapefruit, with perhaps a touch of zesty herbs. Malt bill is crackery and fairly low in sweetness.

T - The taste is a bit sweeter and fruitier, with moderate hop bitterness lingering in the finish. Icing sugar malt character, with some juicy citrus hopping.

M - Medium body, dry finish, pleasant carbonation, and slightly sticky in texture, with resinous residual hop oils lingering on the palate.

D - I liked this quite a bit. A nice refreshing American lager that is easy to drink on a hot day. I'd prefer this over Pony as a season beer. Could use a bit more dry-hopping, but otherwise quite enjoyable.

3.72/5  rDev -3.4%

Another crisp, dry Half Acre brew. In my mind, "crisp and dry" has become what they are all about. You could go more upscale and say "clean and refreshingly bitter". Whatever. Having a variety of 4-6% abv beers on tap that all have personalities of their own is awesome.

Stargrazer tastes like four percent abv, not six. Very drinkable in large amounts; I've put away a 20oz pour in five minutes multiple times. Hey, I was thirsty. Multiple times.

It's a more mild overall than the Lager, with less dry hop taste and less distinct malt taste than Pony. It's like a starter lager for people new to craft beer, which is how I've been using it with my work friends -- who loved how dry and thirst-quenching it was. I prefer the Lager for October-April drinking, Pony for warmer weather. That said, I've had A LOT of this in two weeks, so I guess I like it, too.

Very high overall rating because, though this brew doesn't excel in one particular category, it just works.

Stargrazer from Half Acre Beer Company