Navaja Double India Pale Ale

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Navaja Double India Pale AleNavaja Double India Pale Ale
Notes: This is the first time we're pulling a Double IPA out of our scabbard. Attacking your ability to make good choices, this bully quickly becomes your best friend.
Reviews: 146 | Ratings: 694 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Denotoole:
Denotoole from Illinois

4.13/5  rDev -2.8%

This is a good-to-very-good double IPA, but I prefer high ABVs in the great-to-incredible range. I bought a 4-pack of Navaja about six weeks ago. The last one sat in my fridge for a month. I kept noticing it and thinking “Oh cool, I still have one left!” yet not drinking it. I was glad it was there, but, like a fire extinguisher or a pocket constitution, it has a limited application.

Last night I finally cracked the last one: It poured out a bright, regal gold, like the blood of Achilles. But hang on, son, I split this one with my wife. One great thing about a 9.5% beer in a 16 ounce can is that it’s an ideal splitter—you can split it with a homie and still feel you are getting a full drink. So I gave her a few ounces and myself a few ounces, and then when I poured out the last four oz into my now-empty pint-glass, the gold was no longer translucent but cloudy. Sediment? Temperature change? Can conditioned? (Is that a thing?) I don’t know, but I’m sure if I poured it all into one glass it would have a different hue than what I saw.

It sweet and finally balanced, not excessively hoppy, and the aftertaste lingers in the back of your palate like whiskey. Thus, Navaja is a fine sipper. Like an imperial stout, it’s a good beer for a long reading session or just sitting on the porch.

Sep 23, 2016
BeerAdvocate from Massachusetts

4.05/5  rDev -4.7%

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #87 (Apr 2014):

Intense, Bitter, Boozy, Brash

Appropriately named after a folding Spanish fighting blade Navaja cuts deep with its hop sharpness. Bitterness is unrelenting with layers of hop flavor that makes for a longer finish. Warmth from the alcohol reminds us sip to sip that this is truly a DIPA. Big Cheers to Half Acre!

STYLE: American Double IPA | ABV: 9.3% | AVAILABILITY: Rotating

Jun 26, 2015
ADesus from New York

4.26/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Really nice as most HA beers are. Heavy Melon, incredibly hidden Alcohol, really nice and well done. 10% only known because it's written. Excellent double worthy of the extra $. New England Style & West Coast style had a baby ish... Excellent!

Jan 27, 2018
The_Kriek_Freak from Pennsylvania

3.62/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is a very intense DIPA and I must say that the dankness is so over the top that it comes across as some pungent nail polish that is very off-putting. If you like intense flavors and aroma than that's a beer for you. Half Acre is one of my favorite breweries but this one is not a beer I'd pick again without some hesitation.

Jan 30, 2018
SocalKicks from California

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Oct 29, 2015
RBCBrams17 from Illinois

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Jan 25, 2015
ZAP from Minnesota

4.82/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L-Glowing peach colored....nice 1/4 inch frothy white head..

S-Love this aroma....huge notes of fresh flowers, tropical fruits, citrus and rock candy...tough to beat this smell.....

T-Great flavor....not too rich or sweet...just a big fruity peach, and mango like flavor....lighter citrus notes of tangerines and oranges....malt backing is perfect, but tough to describe....thinking sugar cookie like...

F-Body is full but not too rich.....this is how all DIPA's should feel. Full bodied but not sticky sweet......There is a very light lingering bitterness on the long finish...just enough to dry things out...

O_It's been awhile since I've had a truly elite beer. This is one of them. What a treat to drink this. I'll remember where I was when I had this.

Jul 17, 2017
JustinWhipple from Kentucky

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Apr 04, 2017
thebeers from Pennsylvania

4.23/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a syrupy-looking golden color that matches the can, with two-plus fingers of yellow-tinted head. Modest lacing.

Orange, resin, a hint of melon, a hint of spice and a little buttered popcorn in the aroma.

The taste is sort of a punch in the face. Orange and resin up front, then some strong alcohol with more orange and good bitterness. A little melon and spice on the backend.

Medium bodied with a very prickly mouthfeel.

I like a DIPA that doesn't fuck around, and this definitely fits in that category. Big and boozy with lots of depth.

Apr 25, 2017
Bighuge from Minnesota

4.7/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Jul 18, 2017
tectactoe from Michigan

4.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Aug 22, 2014
PatrickG from Illinois

4.17/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Oct 09, 2016
CRJMellor from Arkansas

Aug 02, 2014
jrhottle from Illinois

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

Jul 25, 2014
KAP72 from Illinois

4.29/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sep 12, 2015
Billolick from New York

4.16/5  rDev -2.1%

Tall can....PKGD 1/10/16....so a little over a month in the can

Pour is on the lightly hazed side, lighter, near yellowy amber, light khaki cap, lasting nicely, then leaving low sheeting and some scattered mini fields and strands of lacing

Hopped up nose with tropical fruit salad coming to mind, as well as a back note of onions/scallions

Bold and flavorful brew with more ripe tropical fruit notes, more scallions, some minty bite and a resiny finish...well crafted and highly enjoyable stuff...

Feb 20, 2017
Danmullens1 from Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Feb 10, 2018
Gajo74 from New York

4.21/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear golden color with a modest frothy layer of head. Average retention leaves a thin ring of lacing.
Initially, the nose has a strong citrusy aroma of orange, grapefruit, as well as tropical notes, pineapple and mango. Later on, it shifts to a strong herbal, grassy and piny aroma.
The taste is somewhat the reverse of my perception of the aroma in that it initially comes on strong in the grassy and herbal department. It has a bold bitterness in the finish with a lingering pine resin taste. Yet, soon there is an emerging sweetness coming from not only the fruity tones, but also the rich and chewy caramel malt laden backbone. The finish then takes on a zesty and citrusy, grapefruit, orange and hint of lemon, tone that is refreshing.
Medium to full bodied yet easy to drink. A nice combination of juicy, grassy, bitter and dry. A solid DIPA.

Feb 03, 2018
Mdog from Minnesota

4.31/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 16oz can:

Appearance: Slightly hazy gold, good head.

Smell: Citrusy, tropical fruit, sweetness.

Taste: Nice sweet citrus, mostly red grapefruit and some oranges. Moderate bitterness. A touch of alcohol shows through.

Overall: I picked up a 4 pack while in Madison. Navaja is a tasty DIPA, seems a bit on the sweeter side, which is how I like them. The alcohol seems to come and go--one can it will be totally hidden, but the next the booze shows up a little more prominently.

Apr 16, 2017
egrace84 from Illinois

Jan 18, 2014
Anaxagoris from Washington

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

May 09, 2015
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.12/5  rDev -3.1%

Hello, CANmander of intoxiCANtion here! Haha. My local, in-person trader, tone77, beat me to the punch with his review of this beer, but I am happy to tread in his footfalls. We have a great relationship & I always look forward to having him stop by for a pick-up/drop-off.

From the CAN: "Double India Pale Ale".

What a beautiful CAN! The graphics were brushed B&W on metallic gold & if I were not CANmitted to CANsigning my spent CANs to Jeff Lebo for his CANlection, I would probably keep this one for myself. Speaking of gold, The Gelt Gang of Croesus, Midas & Mammon were already drooling over the CAN & I hadn't even Crack!ed it yet! I gave the 16-fl. oz. pint CAN a gentle Glug, followed by a vigorous in-glass swirl to raise a finger of dense, foamy, tawny head with very good retention that left nice sticky lacing in its wake. The color was a faintly-hazy Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7), but The Gelt Gang was so enamored of the CAN that they did not even notice. Nose was really tropical fruity - mango, pineapple, guava, orange, mmm. Mmmouthfeel was big & thick, full as heck, like a dollop had been ladled onto my tongue. In addition to the tropical fruitiness, there was also a piney mintiness & a dense caramel malt backbone as well as some fusel alcohol heat! Whew! Whoa. There was no playin' around with this bad boy, playa. Phew! Man, this was what I want when I a delving into a DIPA. I had a nice nap earlier, but this was rocking me back into lala land. Finish was dry, more a result of its heat than anything else, but it remained wonderfully fruity throughout. Do I detect melon on the extreme finish?!?

Sep 06, 2017
Chrisfarleywine from Iowa

Aug 06, 2014
Ryannel24 from Illinois

4.56/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Oct 29, 2015
brentk56 from North Carolina

3.87/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Arrives with a hazy copper capped by a decent head that does an even better job lacing

Smell: Tropical fruit with papaya, lychee and a hint of tangerine

Taste: Opens with a tropical fruit cocktail flavor filled with all the tones detected on the nose; the bitterness never really builds to the extent I expected but the flavors linger and bring on a bit of alcohol in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation and some warmth in the gullet

Overall: Overall, I was expecting a bit more, particularly from Half Acre; still, an enjoyable beer even though it never scales the peaks

Jul 24, 2014