Half Acre / New Belgium 2023m2 | Half Acre Beer Company

Half Acre Beer Company
Illinois, United States
halfacrebeer.com

Style: American Wild Ale

2023m2, brewed at Half Acre last month, is a soft sour ale that features the delicate complexity of a well designed New Belgium beer. A partial kettle souring process and light use of Maresh and Sumac all lend an equal hand in delivering a full experience. The numerical name ties into the area measurement of an actual Half Acre. Our hope, though, is to again brew together in the year 2023 and send that beer to the first group of people living on Mars.

Added by MasterSki on 07-12-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.5/5  rDev +51.5%

3.66/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I saw that this beer received some unfavorable ratings, but I think the price per bottle was around $8 and I'm usually game to give anything Half Acre or New Belgium puts out, so I figured why not?

A - Clear and golden in color with an average 1 finger off-white head. It almost looks like a standard IPA or something.

S - Sweet bready yeast and a little funk

T - It definitely tastes like a saison up front, with some fruity Belgian yeast. It's slightly sweet too and there's a flavor at the end that I can't quite put my finger on. I guess that would probably be the Maresh and Sumac that they used? But I can't say I know what to expect from those are supposed to taste like. Nonetheless, I found it pretty enjoyable to drink.

M - Medium bodied, slightly sweet and chewy.

O - Since this was labeled a "sour" beer (soft sour or not) and put out as a collaboration between two heavyweight craft breweries, I think people expected a lot. And (rightfully so) I think people expected it to be sour, which it isn't - hence the low ratings. If they were to reclassify this beer as a funky saison with Maresh and Sumac, I think the ratings would be higher, as I found it to be an enjoyable, refreshing beer.

3.06/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22oz into a snifter.

A. Clear orange-gold, small off-white head.

S. Hoppy aroma. Papaya, guava, very tropical. Slight acidity.

T. Bready grain, pineapple, a bit of earthy bitterness, mild vanilla, dry edge.

M. Light-bodied with light carbonation.

O. This wasn't exactly bad, but there is basically no acidity. The dominant flavors come from the hops. Certainly a case of false advertising.

3.05/5  rDev +2.7%

I was torn between rating this as a lightly malted APA (pretty good) and a Wild Ale (Not at all). I decided to go with as a wild ale, though I could drink alot of this beer and enjoy it thinking it was an APA. 22 oz bomber courtesy of clewis901 pours a clear gold color with an off-white head. Not much retention and lace.

Nose is musty green grape skin, fruity hops and the lightest of tartness.

Taste is more on the fruity hoppy side of things than anything resembling sour. It does have a soft, light and delectible malt presence. I like it as a non-sour beer, but the label claims "Soft Sour" so that is what I was hoping for...in that regard I was let down.

2.91/5  rDev -2%

Described as a partial sour mash with sumac and maresh.

Pours a bright golden orange into a pint glass, high clarity with some frothy foam on top that is fairly quickly to recede. Flecks of spotty lacing dot the edges.

Aroma is grainy and somewhat lifeless. Not bad, not good, just is. Some vague herbal tea notes if pressed to describe further.

Flaccid feel, mild acidity, grainy with some vague sweetness and dull wet husks and sulfurous yeast when poured. Blah. Light bodied, minimally tart, just devoid of any character or complexity. "Sourness" is neither here nor there. Light herbal bitterness in the aftertaste that clings to the palate and never leaves, much like Malort. Yuck.

This beer just seems to be little more than a half-baked Martian stoner fantasy.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast