Frankenlou's IPA | Seven Brides Brewing

Style: American IPA

Added by mcallister on 02-18-2011

2.96/5  rDev -7.2%

From Notes.
16oz. can purchased at Huckleberry’s in Spokane for…some money.

Poured a dark, hazy amber that took on a burnt orange shade when held up to light. Thin, sudsy head despite a somewhat rough pour.

The nose was of fruity and piney hops, in that order.

The taste was of tropical fruit juice and pine sap. There was nowhere near the bitterness one might be led to expect in a beer with a label that claims 105 IBUs.

Sappy, resiny mouthfeel. Very low level of carbonation.

Drinkable, but only just. Increased carbonation would help a lot, along with a more balanced flavor. There was way too much sticky sweet fruitiness

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

3.7/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I didn't think this was a 'hop-stew' as another reviewer said, though it's a little dank. No freshness date on the bottle as far as I can see. Picked it up on my way out of Portland in the airport.

A- this is probably the darkest looking IPA I've ever seen. It's almost mahogany and cinnabar. Nice off-white foam that takes its time settling, and fair amount of clingy lacing.

S- It smells of cinnamon and pine, some lemon cleaner citrus as well; generally dank, also notes of caramel and chocolate. Really, there's a lot going on in this beer. It's a little bit out of control, which is what others might not like, though i can dig the thickness.

T- It tastes of some boysenberries, lemon, cherry, lasting piney bitterness on tongue that can be unpleasant and heavy with the alcohol bite that follows.

M- crisp and a little heavy, it's almost like a hoppy strong ale.

O- This feels like a sort of experimental brew, not focused on balance at all, so good to try if you're just trying to see what-all hops can do in whatever setting, which I am at the moment.

3.52/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours the orange side of amber, hazy, with some edge head, minimal lacing. The nose does seem to be lacking a bit, clay-like, no real bouquet.

The taste does have a little bit of a caramel beginning, which hits for a second but then fades as the bitter hops starts to take over. However, it dies make a presence in this hop bomb. Orange rind, maybe a little grapefruit, light amount if pine. The beer does tend to mellow as it warms.

I enjoyed this beer as, despite the IBU of 105, there was more to the character. I would counter this with the fact that the IBU don't really provide a strong feel.

3.24/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Dark reddish-orange amber color in the wine glass. Plenty of spritz. Sharp and harsh sensation. After some sipping it gets to be really, really bitter. I guess the word for the hops is "insane." I thought hops were expensive? But it's essence of hops, or more like hop stew.

I can't think what makes this even slightly likeable-- I won't go so far as to say it's drinkable-- but it does have an expansive flavor of hops across the spectrum. I think this should be called gratuitous hopping. "Why? Because we can!" It's like waggin' your weezer in public. Not that there's anything wrong with that. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Market of Chaos in Eugene.

3.77/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pint-sized can served chilled into an imperial pint glass.

Frankenlou is a dark amber color with considerable hazyness. It even has bits of floating hop or yeast residue. The head is thick and creamy but settles to a thin layer leaving little lacing.

Aroma is very hoppy in a Pacific Northwest kind of way. It has lots of pine and and grapefruit but not much in the way of the fresh citrusy west coast variety.

Flavor is incredibly bitter right off the bat. It has more sweetness but it definately proves its 106 IBU claim on the can. After the first few sips, it starts to mellow a bit but it's still bitingly bitter. Some caramel malts and toast but mostly dominated by hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Not really balanced at all.

Overall a good IPA if you really like your bitterness but not much for hop flavor and aroma. Maybe it needs some more late hop additions.

3.45/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours hazy orange with almost no head. Few lacings.
Smells like pine pitch with a touch of fruit.
Big whack of piney hops, some leather, a bit of grapefruit. Some sweetness from the malts.
Mouthfeel is just OK with fairly low carbonatiom.
Overall a very bitter hoppy beer with a less than stellar hop selection. Lovers of bitter should like it though. I like a bit more variety in the hop flavors.

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

3.73/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my redneck ball jar stemware...(coulda been my vintage beer mug) This was the first beer I've had out of a can for 30 yrs...I'll do a review on the bottle at a later time.

I had a pic, but don't see anywhere to upload it

A. Very nice burnt orange color with a semi-thick head one inch head. Poured at approx. 50 degrees.

S. This one I can smell!, loads of citrus aromas, lime, grapefruit maybe a little orange.

T. First sip was a jaw torquer, I knew instantly I was going to like this beer. Aroma combines with the taste....My opinion is this beer was balanced quite nicely, not to bitter, not to hoppy, not to malty. Just right. Has a semi-dry finish that left my mouth screaming for more. With 105 IBUs I found it quite drinkable. Maybe a little more alcohol burn might help.

M. Medium to heavy body, not what I expected from a can, just the way I like it. Palate wrecker? Not for me, at least out of the can. The first Frankenlou's I tried was out of a bomber into a vintage mug.
O. This isn't a sissy beer and some may not care for it. For me, would I purchase again, absolutely!

Another post asked if you tasted any beers that were same or close, this one, to me was on par with Unita Hop Notch. I'll do a review on it also. It will definitely be one of my brews for some time to come.

Okay, a little backtracking....this beer doesn't age well. Almost my second drain pour.

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

2.18/5  rDev -31.7%

I'm going to be blunt. This is a terrible beer. I'd its because its old fine, don't distribute so much beer that you can't sell it before it starts tasting bad. Or but a canning date on the can so I can not waste my money on bad beer.

Appearance Its super dark for an IPA, 15srm! Are you kidding me?

Aroma- Something is off. Bandaids perhaps.

Taste- 105 IBU "with enough hops for three different beers." Not bitter, little hop taste, little to no hop aroma.

I jave to say this was one of the worst beers ive ever had. It was obviously old, but you could tell the new beer that once was was norhing good either.

Do not waste your money on this beer. You will be disappointed.

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

3.57/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into a nonic, Frankenlou's IPA is dark orange with an off-white head that is thick and foamy, like sea-foam, leaving heavy lace.

Smell is slightly sweet malt and orange hops, with some butterscotch.

Taste is chewy malt, biscuit, with a very earthy hop flavor and a firm bitterness. I would have liked more citrus and pine hop flavor, as there's only a little sweet tangerine on the back-end before the IBU assault at the finish.

Mouthfeel is a touch thick malt wise, but it has a slightly watery feel as well, like a cask ale. Dry.

Drinkability is ok, this is not my style of IPA, but the malt is not as formidable as it looked, i just don't like the skew of hops away from west-coast flavoring towards earth and heavy bittering.

3.27/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pounder can picked up tonight at Brewer's Haven.. Poured into my HotD goblet.. nice off white head sticks around for a while.. the brew is slightly hazed light amber.

The aroma shows minor citrus hops and too big pale/slightly lesser caramel malts.. Should not smell this malt forward.

Good hop bitterness up front but gets muddy with the hops on the flavor.. only decent citrus and some background floral hops.. odd hop bite comes back on the finish.. not very balanced... I see the bones, but there is very little linkage at this point.... the thicker malt sorta makes things seem less than fresh.

Seems too thick.. too much residual maltiness...

IMO this IPA needs to be dialed in a bunch.

3.5/3.25/3.25/3.25/3.25

There are a lot of Seven Brides brews hanging around in Boise right now... I will try and scope them out when I can.

Frankenlou's IPA from Seven Brides Brewing