The Vermonster | Rock Art Brewery

Rock Art Brewery
Vermont, United States
rockartbrewery.com

Style: American Barleywine

We brewed The Vermonster with 110 pounds of malt per barrel and jacked up the pour into a wide mouth thin glass goblet.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-23-2007

Liked:
3.88/5
Alströms:
4.2

I've had the pleasure to enjoy this brew on two seperate occasions and I can't help but give it a perfect review. It has a perfect rusty red color with low head retention. The aroma is out if this world with intense American hops, dried fruits, malt sweetness, and ethanol spice. The flavor lives up to the promise of the aroma, and delivers a delightfully complex array of flavors. The mouthfeel is oily, as is expected from a high gravity brew. This is by far one of the most enjoyable barleywine ales I have ever had the pleasure to sample. This is a must-try to any barleywine fan.

4.92/5  rDev +26.8%

Pours a beautiful, deeep amber color, with lovely scarlet red highlights...very clear. Slight tan head does stay for a few moments and then really fades to nothing, with just a little ring around the glass where the beer makes contact. Seriously noticeable viscosity as I swirl. I have smelled and taken a little sip...everything about the aroma and taste of this beer allows for there to be no head. I don't know...a head would almost detract from this beer knowing all its other characteristics.

Oh boy this baby smells big and boozy, thick with malt and buzzing with hops. On the spicy fruitcake side of things.

Great alcohol-infused spicy flavor to this, with an almost bourbon-like character. This beer has great depth and is incredibly well balanced.

Big bodied, smooth with a nice bubbly tingle in the finish. Just an all-around great beer!

4.83/5  rDev +24.5%

Traveling through Vermont,I had to pick up the local offering. As far as I know it only comes in a 22 OZ bomber. The taste, pour and smell are exceptional. A great cookout out or gathering beer. My favorite of a long list of trials. I highly recommend this beer.

4.77/5  rDev +22.9%

Thanks to JPWV for this great beer.

It appears deep brown with a thin light tan head.

It smells of citrusy hops and grassy hops. I get a strong toffee malt flavor with coffee overtones. I also get a mild brown bread malt.

I initially get a mild caramel and toffee like malt flavor. The sweet malt flavor is balanced with a bit of a dark bread like malty flavor. There is a strong citrus like hop flavor. I also get a very slight pine like hop flavor as well. The beer ends with a substantial amount of bitterness.

There is a moderate low carbonation and there is a somewhat thick mouthfeel to this barleywine.

Overall this is the best barleywine I have had. It showcases both dry and sweet aspects of malts. I t also showcases pine like, citrus like, grassy and bitter elements of hops. This is a very balanced and complex beer. I wish I could find this beer locally.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

4.66/5  rDev +20.1%

Little bit of sediment floating around. Pours doo doo brown in color. Taste is fantastic! Malty and lots of barley character. First beer I had in Vermont on my vacation last week.

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.58/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

Picked up two bottles, aging one bottle and trying this one fresh.

Pours a medium brown color with a thick brown head and lacing. Aroma is very hoppy upfront and reminds me of an american strong ale at first. Some fruitiness and plum/raisin aromas beneath the hops. Taste is very hoppy as well with a decent bitterness that's somewhat overpowering at first. Plum/raisin and fruit abound in the taste. Hop bitterness is nice towards the back of the throat. There's a nice dryness as well that compliments it. A second sip encounters some creaminess as well as that hop bitterness.

It definitely feels like more of a barleywine than Ridge Runner. Feels somewhat more balanced. Keep in mind though, this is a young version of a beer that definitely should be cellared. I fully expect the bottle I have stashed away to mature over time. Hopefully, the hops will not be as strong up front and it will taste more balanced.

A very decent crack at a barleywine. I look forward to reviewing this again in a year or two.

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

Bottle thanks to jlindros.

Pours deep dark crimson color with one finger of off white head.

Scent of bitter hops, sugars, caramel, sweet fruit, and a hint of earth. The alcohol is masked perfectly and the spicy hops and sweet malts blend very well.

Taste of sugars, some dark fruit, bitter leafy hops, tea, and a hint of alcohol. Finishes with dry grain and more hops. An awesome Barleywine, I don't know how this will age, but this stuff is marvelous fresh. This has quickly become one of my favorite American Barleywines.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and oily with a sharp bite of carbonation.

Extremely drinkable, this stuff goes down way too easily.

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh. Fresh.

Thats the key to this beer. I know Barleywines typically age well, and that holds true with this beer. But the awesome dry-hop this beer gets is too awesome to let go to waste. I love this beer no matter what age, but if its super fresh (3 months or less), it rivals among my favorites. My review lies with these conditions in mind.

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

22oz bomber poured in a sampling glass.

Pours a deep amber with small head and some lacing. Nose is very sweet, malty and strong, very nice.

One of the best barleywines I've ever had, easily. Very sweet and malty rich and sharp. Super hoppy at 100IBUs but goves very will with the huge malt bill, extremely well balanced and very drinkable for such a big beer.

Also, nothing like Monster energy drink... incase you were confused.

4.54/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Pours a very hazy deep brown. Good white head for a barely wine but it recedes kind of quickly. Super super hazy. lacing is superb.

Smells like a 120 minute ipa oddly enough. Lots of minty citric, grapefruit, and passion fruit hops. A really nice bouquet actually, very floral and herbal as well. Slight malt presence comes through on the nose as the beer warms as well as some alcohol.

Wow!

For a barely wine, hop presence is monstrous. Bitterness lingers on the back of the tongue. Extreme beer, as it's name implies.

On the top of the tongue it tastes like orange marmalade covered in dark mint-chocolate. It's bizarre. Huge fizzy chewy body with some dark malts present in the middle of the mouth. The beer finishes with a huge hop presence. It doesn't really balance the beer out, but instead interrupts the flavor receptors and takes over with citric, piney, and minty hops. Tons of flavors, not exactly layered the best but all are really good.

First barley wine i've had that I've truly enjoyed a lot. Probably wouldn't be able to drink more than one but the flavors are so good. The only problem is I dont know on what occasion I'd bust another one of these out. I also want to know how this would taste after some aging. Can't wait to cellar a few.

I'm glad I got past the terrible bottle art and gave this try (Also 5.99 for a 10% abv bomber) amazing!

The Vermonster from Rock Art Brewery