The Vermonster | Rock Art Brewery

Rock Art Brewery
Vermont, United States
rockartbrewery.com

Style: American Barleywine

We brewed The Vermonster with 110 pounds of malt per barrel and jacked up the pour into a wide mouth thin glass goblet.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-23-2007

3.5/5  rDev -10%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

A – Plum mahogany body with ice tea highlights. Bone white head has great retention and lace.

S – Sweet malt, hint of cranberry, caramel, and Riesen chocolates. Fairly restrained for a barleywine.

T – Mellow opening of malt and a nice, light caramel sweetness. The center brings out a woody bitterness wrapped around toasty malt. Alcohol gently warms the finish.

M – Super smooth. Rich, medium-full body with a warm and lightly bitter backend.

O – One of the more drinkable barleywines straight off the shelf, especially at 10%.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%

Had this beer after a long day at work - and it hit the spot perfectly. For 10%, an absolutely tasty brew, no taste or hint of high ABV at all. Leaves a beautiful film on the glass. A great winter brew - will enjoy more once we get some more snow... Shout out to FrankLloydMike for buying as a house, er, apartment warming gift. Perhaps I will more intently review this beer sometime when I haven't already had a glass of it...

Chilled slightly and poured into a fresh pint glass.

A – Dark brown with reddish hues when brought up to the light. Single finger off white head that tapered off to a nice ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.

S – Heavy malt sweetness followed by light citrus notes from the hops…at 100 IBU’s I expected more hops up front in the nose.

T – Definitely sweet and malty, as light bitterness from the hops and again at 100IBU’s I expected more bitterness.

M – On the heavier side but not too bad. Carbonation was good.

O – At 10%ABV the alcohol balanced well with the malt. Nothing exciting about this beer.

3.58/5  rDev -8%

A- Cloudy brown with an off white head the fades quickly while leaving behind moderate lacing.

S- Mild pine hops that turns into a dark toffee bittersweet smell.

T- Up front piney hops that lingers till the next sip. Bittersweet aftertaste that reminds me of a water downed brandy. It's hard to distinguish the taste of this brew. The hops are one dimensional and so is the aftertaste.

M- Heavy bodied with high carbonation.

D- I think a 22oz pounder will be more than enough.

This is my first barleywine, so I'm not very accustomed to the style. It's not bad, I really like the 100ibu bitterness. But it lacks depth and character to me. I'm kind of disappointed, the guy at the brew shop talked this one up. Maybe this is an excellent barleywine, I'm not sure. I will definitely try more barleywines in the futures to compare.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a very hazy deep brown. Good white head for a barely wine but it recedes kind of quickly. Super super hazy. lacing is superb.

Smells like a 120 minute ipa oddly enough. Lots of minty citric, grapefruit, and passion fruit hops. A really nice bouquet actually, very floral and herbal as well. Slight malt presence comes through on the nose as the beer warms as well as some alcohol.

Wow!

For a barely wine, hop presence is monstrous. Bitterness lingers on the back of the tongue. Extreme beer, as it's name implies.

On the top of the tongue it tastes like orange marmalade covered in dark mint-chocolate. It's bizarre. Huge fizzy chewy body with some dark malts present in the middle of the mouth. The beer finishes with a huge hop presence. It doesn't really balance the beer out, but instead interrupts the flavor receptors and takes over with citric, piney, and minty hops. Tons of flavors, not exactly layered the best but all are really good.

First barley wine i've had that I've truly enjoyed a lot. Probably wouldn't be able to drink more than one but the flavors are so good. The only problem is I dont know on what occasion I'd bust another one of these out. I also want to know how this would taste after some aging. Can't wait to cellar a few.

I'm glad I got past the terrible bottle art and gave this try (Also 5.99 for a 10% abv bomber) amazing!

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Nice dark tea,ruby brown color with a two finger head on the pour. Smell skews bready malt, fruit and mild floral hops.

The malt character is forward, taste of grape, mint and grapefruit rind bitterness round out the flavors. The alcohol is everpresent, but not overwhelming. It has a dry finish.

It is interesting to me that a 100 IBU ale can be slightly malt centric. Full disclosure, I am a West Coast DIPA fan (Stone Ruination sets the standard for me), so I am a hophead for sure. Nonetheless, this is a solid, respectful ale from a stellar East Coast brewer. Rock on, Rock Art!

The Vermonster from Rock Art Brewery