Belvidere Big IPA | Rock Art Brewery

Rock Art Brewery
Vermont, United States
rockartbrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

We brewed this one because we just can't get enough of those hops. IPA's seem to be a great choice any time of the year. They have a great malt flavor and hop profile, just what a beer connoisseur is looking for. We decided to give this one a bit more hops.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-07-2009

4.63/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Amazing color and taste...very refreshing!

4.62/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I truly loved this beer! Tried this while checkin out a sunset from an isolated ridge top in VT - MAN! THAT was GOOD! Big mouthfeel with FULL-BORE hoppy, alcoholic nose/ Excellent aftertaste that just goes on and on. I bought the store out after having my first 22oz bottle. It's *THAT* good ...

Cheers!
- BC

4.5/5  rDev +19%

One pint six oz. poured into my 32 glass mug. Hazy and cloudy, golden edges with a orangey redness center. Off white almost beige filmy head.

Citrus smell, I'm thinking orange peel, pine and a wonderful sweet maltiness. Really a pleasant smelling IPA all around.

Wow! Really nice tasting! Orange peel, lemon, caramel malt, a really nice sweetness meeting a bitterness that really works; this is awesome tasting. Tastes like a imperial IPA for sure

Medium body. Feels really nice in the mouth. Light to medium carbonation. Very easy going down. No alcohol warmth.

I have never heard of Rock Art Brewery so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm glad I tried this, this is a great beer. Very tasty with the malts and hops mixing really well together. Feels nice - I had to slow myself down because I wanted to drink it right away. I can't wait to try their Stout that I also got.

4.47/5  rDev +18.3%

I found this beer at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa, Arizona, and was a bit hesitant to buy an IPA from Vermont. Well, Rock Art Brewing has crafted a terrific beer!

The beer poured well into a pint glass-- a bit cloudy, reddish amber, with a well-carbonated head.

I loved the balance of hops and malt in this beer. It had the perfect 80 ibu that I prefer in an IPA, combined with a sweet, malty finish. After I drank it I wanted another!

If I visit Vermont I will go directly to the brewery and hopefully find this on tap!

4.43/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While my home state of VT has many great microbrews, they've never been known for great IPAs (with the exception of the amazing Heady Topper and Holy Cow IPAs from The Alchemist). While I had big hopes for Rock Art's IPA (II) Double IPA, I was let down immensely by the lack of hops and strong upfront alcohol taste.

I was expecting much of the same from their latest offering, the Belvedere Big IPA, but I was happily surprised by an exceptional tasting beer loaded with piney hops.

At 8.0% alcohol & 80 IBU, it's definitely for big IPA fans only. The high alcohol content is masked a lot better by the hops than the IPA (II), and the hops are a lot more upfront. You get a strong pine hop flavor up front, with the mellower citrus hops lingering in the aftertaste. It's a slightly bitter IPA (which I love, but I know turns some people off) which graces the tongue with a quick sharp tingle, and then mellows quickly to a lush but not overly sweet mouthfeel.

I am highly impressed & can see the Belvedere becoming one of my standby IPAs when I'm looking for something affordable ($3.99 for 22oz) but complex.

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%

A cloudy deep copper color with a decent off-white head with great lacing. The aroma is heavy with a pine hop floral sweetness blend. Very full and pleasant with a curious honey medicinal-herb touch. The flavor offers lots of herbal hops and peaty caramel. There's some honey here too, a subtle sweetness buried in the bitter undertow. This is near full bodied, luscious and stick to your tongue good. Creamy, pleasantly carbonated, medium drinkability, yummy all around. Somewhat a mix between a stock ale and a DIPA. Love this stuff!

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%

I've had this from bottle and on tap and I definitely prefer the tap (surprise!). Bottle is by no means bad, its an old standby of mine.

A - Darky hazy amber. On the darker side of IPA's, with the exceptions of black "IPA's". A pint of this looks great.

S - Strong hop presence. Very citrusy, possibly even grapefruit if you want to go that far. Also clear bittering hop notes.

T - In my opinion, this is one of the better IIPA's around Vermont. Very strong American hop flavors, again citrusy, but also some bitterness at the very end. Small malt presence, and frankly, thats what I'm looking for in my IAPA's.

M - Surprisingly thin for for an 8% IPA. I wish it had a little bit more body.

O - This is a daily drinker of mine. Im always trying new beers and love lots of different breweries around Vermont but when I just want a damn good beer that I know I am gonna be really happy with, I go with this one.

4.32/5  rDev +14.3%

Got this bottle from Palmej1 in an amazing box of IPAs, Thanks Jacob!

Poured from a bomber into my FFF glass.

A- Hard pour yields an inch of white foam which recedes quickly and leaves very little lacing. Color is a dark, murky amber. Right for the style.

S- Citrus. Grapefruit and tangerine backed by faint sweet malt. Smells great!

T- Oh sweet heaven! Bitter grapefruit rind exploding at the front, momentarily balanced by caramel malt with a lingering bitter finish. Very nicely done! I am really enjoying this one!

M- Excellent feel. Carbonation is spot-on and the hops provide just the right amount of oily viscosity.

D- Drinkability is good considering the 8% ABV. I am so liking the hop profile that the heat is not evident to me. The bomber is gone far too quickly.

Overall I really liked this one. Tastes like a good west coast DIPA to me. If it were available in California I'd always have a few of these in my fridge. My first beer from Rock Art and I am impressed! Recommended if you're in need of a hop fix!

4.31/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

I love a good DIPA this one somewhat reminds me of a BIG A IPA from smuttynose but not as floral. I liked this alot.

A - Hazy orange body with minimal head appropriate carbination.

S - Candy sugar, floral some citrus.

T - A bit medicinal but at the same time has a really nice flavor to it as well. It stands out and is different which is one reason why I like this.

M - Sticks with you is feel the pine and floral after feel.

D - For a bomber priced at 3.99 this rocks definately drinkable and will have again.

4.28/5  rDev +13.2%