Blowing Rock High Country Ale | Blowing Rock Brewing Co.

Blowing Rock High Country AleBlowing Rock High Country Ale

Blowing Rock Brewing Co.
North Carolina, United States
blowingrockbrewing.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by cvstrickland on 08-17-2008

3.3

4.75/5  rDev +43.9%

4.56/5  rDev +38.2%

4.53/5  rDev +37.3%

Love the way it taste. Great go to beer

4.5/5  rDev +36.4%

4.26/5  rDev +29.1%

A - clear honey color, golden on the edge of the glass. Nice head and great retention. Good lacing.

S - Sweet hops dominate. Mostly fruity undertones. Some slight earthy qualities.

T - Hops upfront, with a mild bitterness. Much sweeter than I expected. Has a taste I can't quite pinpoint, but I think it reminds me a little of maple. Not what I was expecting, but still good.

M - Good full feeling. Not overly carbonated, but appropriate to give good feeling and prevent from being syrupy.

D - Very good. Not sure what the ABV is here but I'd say its about average, and would be a great session beer.

I was expecting a lot more bitterness when I bought a 6 pack of this and it was not at all what i expected on my first sip. But this one really grew on me. Not too pricey, and i could see myself buying this one again.

4.19/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12/27/15 from notes....pours bright gold light foam but lacing. Floral citrus notes. Tasty breads malt, light hopped some bitter. Really well balanced. Leads to a tasty ale.

4.12/5  rDev +24.8%

Pale ales can run the gammut from malty to hoppy. Here's one on the maltier side.

Medium copper color, very clear with a thin head even after a fairly vigorous pour. A little lacing.

Aroma is extremely balanced. Fairly complex mat with a peppery hop aroma are right in tune with one another.

Taste leans slightly towards the malty side but that's not a bad thing. The only thing I can complain about is a slight metallic taste towards the end of the swallow.

Mouthfeel is medium-drying, and pretty highly carbonated. I'd knock that down a peg, but that's just me.

All in all, a very balanced, good example of what a pale ale can be. It would be a good one to introduce to non-craft drinkers, for sure.

4.09/5  rDev +23.9%

4.08/5  rDev +23.6%

This was a single in a homemade sampler pack I received. I am familiar with how this is being brewed in PA etc. On to the beer
Poured to my Big Boss pint glass. A good pale color, leading towards some orange-ish colors. Small spotty lacing lingers whilst I sip and drink.
Aroma-smells a touch sweet, light hops, actually smells like a lighter average Pale Ale.
Mouthfeel- Great malt flavors on the sweeter side, not too much. Great hop flavors, floral, minor tangerine flavors. Not overly hoppy, not balanced, but hops are very present IMHO. I am really liking the way this on tastes. Finishes clean and very quaffable. On tap this is probably super-tasty. The malt and hops used in this recipe make this a pretty solid APA. Rating is higher than previous tastings but I enjoyed this bottle.

4.05/5  rDev +22.7%

12-ounce twist-off topped bottle poured into my DFH shaped pint glass yields a clear golden amber body capped with a thick finger of soft ivory foam that retains at a broken sheet and leaves swatches of lacing on the glass.

The smell of the drink features spicy, herbal hops right up front, backed with a note of pale malt and the lightest whiff of sweet brown caramel. A bit of sweet black tea lurks in the background.

The taste is spicy with a zing of citrusy and earthy hops atop a mild malty backbone. Flavors of sweet orange and a dash of lime nicely accent a tasty cookie-malt character that compels me to have another swig. The component flavors of Blowing Rock offer nothing in excess, but a sweet harmony of mild, balanced flavors is the hallmark of the ale.

The drink is crisp and on the light side of medium-bodied, making it plenty refreshing on a sultry NC summer day. Superb drinkability.

4.01/5  rDev +21.5%

Love the Blowing Rock ale. I have had it in bottles, but it is so much better on tap. Great appearance, nice foam head but not too much to take away from the initial taste. Taste is overall fantastic, one of my favorite beers around that I have ever had. Drinkability is good. I prefer drinking it alone, but I think it would go well with most meals also. If you can get your hands on some, it is certainly worth a try.

3.95/5  rDev +19.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a transparent dark orange with a thick off-white head resting on the top. Retention is fair; leaves some light lace on the glass. Scents of sweet malts, honey, and a faint piney resin on the back end.

The mouth is firm with a crisp carbonation front, and a smooth finish. Great sweet malty flavors that mix well with a moderate hop bitterness. Some fresh bread aftertaste. I could drink these all the time, and with this beer being sold everywhere in the city, I just may. Much better than anticipated.

3.94/5  rDev +19.4%

The Blowing Rock High Country Ale pours into a tall pils glass with a quick-rising pale-white head ... a yellow-gold, clear color brew.

The first sniff is of sweet caramel. Outstanding aroma!

The taste is balanced, but seemed a bit too "safe." After smelling this brew, I thought I was going to be hit up front with butter and malts ... it was "malts," but not as pronounced as I had anticipated. The thing that saved this brew for me was the mouthfeel.

It really is a nice, medium-yet-full body feel. It is not an "in your face" kind of a pale ale. You aren't overcome by hops or malts ... just a pleasant mouthfeel, very drinkable brew.

3.86/5  rDev +17%

Poured into a pint glass.

Purchased this while vacationing in the Outer Banks, NC on a recommendation from a lady at the Brew Thru in Corolla. She really likes this beer and I can see why. It's a totally smooth, easy drinking ale. There is a small hop presence, but the sweet malt finish really steals the show here. Could really get into drinking this on a regular basis. However, this beer isn't available in MI. Oh well. Recommended.

3.82/5  rDev +15.8%

The first element in the aroma is sweet malt with a bit of a metallic bite. There is also some grassy hops. The appearance is gold with an amber hue. The head blows up pretty fast and falls even faster. The flavor is really well balanced between sweet malt and hops. The palate is really smooth from carbonation. I was really thirsty when I drank this beer and it was very refreshing and quite flavorful at the same time. It's not a standout beer but it's a very solid one.

3.82/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a fantastic ale for a hot summer day.

a - poors darker than you would think after tasting it. tons of carbonation and good head to go with it

s - eh, slightly sweet smelling, not to hoppy. not much, but my wife loved it for some reason

t - a toned down apa, but toned down without losing balance.

m - light for an ale of this style

d - +++

Not a huge fan of this, but it's a pretty refreshing beer, especially for an ale that still tastes like an ale

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

A lovely day up in the mountains that let me try a huge sample of some new NC locals. Always thrilled when a day works out like this one did.

One of my first chances to try anything from them, I was excited to go for this lighter pale to see what they were making way up in the hills. A nice light color, golden around the edges with a hint of a dark amber in the middle. Lots of carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass left a nice two finger head of white foam that capped the top of the glass very nicely. Aroma is light hops, biscuit notes, and hints of herbal, floral tones and a light touch of grain. Well balanced with nothing really dominating more then anything else. Body was light, well carbonated but light with hints of caramel and sweet piney hops that hit the tongue on the first sips. Smooth and gentle the flavor did not evolve much over time and the finish was about as clean and quick as they come.

Overall a solid little ale, nothing really to complain about and nothing that would keep you from putting down more then one on a hot day. Good effort.

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Blowing Rock High Country Ale from Blowing Rock Brewing Co.