Rat Tail Ale | Cellar Rats Brewery

ratbrew.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by adamette on 08-25-2008

1.37/5  rDev -53.1%

12 oz bottle from Ryan011235 poured into a Maudite.  Particularly noteworthy about the appearance is the enormous soapy head; even with an exceedingly slow pour, I had to stop 2/3 of the way through the bottle.  Nice lacing after it settles down a bit, although it certainly takes its sweet time.  Murky brownish amber down below.

The malt end of things smells of lightly toasted squishy "wheat" grocery store bread with metallic, nutty and vaguely fruity notes. The hops lend a modest grassy presence that fades under a sneaky doughiness that creeps into things.

Oof, this is not pleasant.  Cardboard, tinfoil, leafy hops, baking soda and medicinal notes are prominent; actual normal malt flavor seems to have been more of player at some point in the timeline of Rat Tail Ale, but that time has long passed.  As that crazy head advertised, the carbonation is out of control. PSA: Let this stuff warm at your peril. Doesn't measure up to a beginner homebrew.

1.45/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a Delirium snifter on 9/5/12

Dark crimson and rust color; very dark for a pale ale. The head foams in such a way that I quickly find myself looking at what could very well be three fingers of uh-oh.

The aroma has notes of grassy and herbal hops, caramel, watery candy, toasted bread and, you guessed it, some metallic smelling uh-oh. After the head recedes a blurred dust and dough aroma emerges. The taste is a dismal concoction of fake fruits, herbal leaves, caramel, toasted bread, dust and cooked veggies. The feel is a medium-full body riddled with massive over-carbonation. The unpleasant flavors linger far too long.

I have no clue what Cellar Rats was trying to do with this one, but the result is just not good at all. Part of me thinks this is an off bottle, but the color is far too dark, the feel much to thick and the flavor much to dubious for a pale ale, regardless of the condition of this particular bottle.

1.47/5  rDev -49.7%

This from description available at the brewery:

Bitterness and aromatic hops dominate this American Pale Ale. Strong Full malt backbone to match. When you taste this you know your (sic) drinking a beer inspired by the adventurous West Coast Ales. 6.5% alc.

A Light red body, One finger head poured into a clear glass.

S Bitter. Very hoppy.

T Bitter, skunky midtaste and aftertaste. I ordered a pint of it and did not finish it. It was the second beer that I sampled here at Cellar Rats and both were very very bitter.

M harsh, full, dominating.

D poor. I did not finish my pint.

1.75/5  rDev -40.1%

1.9/5  rDev -34.9%

Poured this slowly into a pint glass. Incredibly foamy and carbonated. Overall not a bad color but if they were going for an apa then they added way too much malt. Color for an apa i feel should be more golden than the hazy brown I see.
The smell of the beer is more of sweet raisins and green apples. That isn't what i'd expect of an apa either.
After trying to tell myself that this is an apa and disregarding my nose, i sipped and realized this is def not an apa. It is more a malty mess with some drying noble hops perhaps to finish.
I suppose mouthfeel was ok. Too bad the rest of the beer wasn't. Won't be having another.

2.06/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Expected much more from this rather expensive ale. But, why should I? there all getting to be around the same price.

Bitter and way to carbonated for me.

Nothing special. I expect alot more for a PA.

I drank one and probably won't ever have another. Not that its "that" bad, but there are many others I would chose first.

2.18/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't have a lot of good things to say about this one...

Very little hop aroma. Maybe just a little citrus and a hint of caramel. Tastes almost intolerable. The carbonation was quite aggressive initially. So much so that it was hard to get down without burping almost immediately. The carbonation wore lessened its grip half way through the glass.

Very little hop flavor or any kind of flavor. The bitterness is so aggressive that it strips any salvageable flavor away. Very bitter finish, almost reminds me of cough syrup.

These guys are trying to brew a ramped up west coast amber. I think they missed the mark. I can't find anything good about this one. But give it a try for yourself.

2.4/5  rDev -17.8%

2.44/5  rDev -16.4%

A: bronze and way too f'ing carbonated. Looked good for two seconds and then overwhelmed the glass.

S: Fair and a little bit pungent. Something different

T: Not too great kinda stale and fishy.

M: Fine if it wasn't so overcarbonated

O: I think this is a bad bottle, or i hope it is. I poured slowly from the bottle to a glass and there was far too much head. Even drinking from the bottle (while i waited for the head to dissipate) proved a challenge. Either the brewers grossly overcarbonated or american ale is not a style i understand.

EDIT: after reading other reviews it seems this beers most potent flaw is the blatant overcarbonation. What might be acceptable or desirable is a pain in the lower back and unfit for the market. I think a simple change in the carbonation process would greatly improve the chance of this brewer infiltrating more markets.

2.7/5  rDev -7.5%

The appearance of this brew was a deception. I first had it pored out of a bottle by the distributor's rep. It looked and smelled pleasant. Once it passed my lips, it became a giant mess. It was hoppy (I enjoy hops), but then other flavors started taking over, making this muddled, dirty taste, that made me hurry up and chug this like it was an american p*** lager. I decided to give it a second shot a week later on tap. It was even worse on tap, to where i couldn't finish the pint. Maybe it's the styling that i'm not a fan of (did not enjoy Green Flash's west coast IPA either), maybe it's this particular brew from Cellar Rats. I'm willing to give it another shot out of a bottle, but I'm expecting the same results.

Rat Tail Ale from Cellar Rats Brewery