Ripper | Cellar Rats Brewery

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Cellar Rats Brewery
Ohio, United States

Style: English Bitter

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by adamette on 12-30-2009

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

2.62/5  rDev n/a

From the brewery notes: "Ripper" is an "old" English style ale that has a beautiful mahogany color to it. This bold ale has a strong back bone and has been spiced with chicory root and cinnamon. It is chuck full of malty, spicy flavors and aromas from handfuls of Chinook hops all the way through.

Review from notes. Poured into a clean, clear glass at the brewery earlier today.

A Translucent orange copper body under a light brown creamy head. I did not see any of the "beautiful mahogany color" described in the brewery notes. 3.0

S Hops bitterness hit me first. Repeated sniffs revealed a citrus sweetness that I think has a lot of potential to make a nice tasting beer. I did not like that bitter punch in the face that I first encountered, though. 3.5

T Initial kick of lime juice and hops bitterness that is distasteful. Hops on top of a gentle malt background. I did not get the cinnamon but may have perceived the chicory root from the description. This beer is too bitter for me to give it anything but the rating that I have. 2.5

M Bitterness, lime juice tartness make the feel bigger than it otherwise would be. The feel is the aspect that I like least in this beer. It is too harsh. 2.0

D Not good due to the harshness, feel. I finished my glass but was not really looking forward to the bottom one third of it. 2.0

Notes: Ripper is reminiscent of some of the early Cellar Rats offerings that came across way too bitter to be enjoyable. Even though this one missed the mark for me, I will continue to support this local brewery. After studying all of the English Ale styles, English Bitter seemed most appropriate style as compared with my exeprience drinking this beer.

Ripper from Cellar Rats Brewery