Independence Pass Ale I.P.A. | Aspen Brewing Co.

Independence Pass Ale I.P.A.Independence Pass Ale I.P.A.

Aspen Brewing Co.
Colorado, United States

Style: American IPA

Added by Seanibus on 08-24-2008

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 27 | Ratings: 125
4.02/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Lightly clouded amber color. Poured a 2 finger fluffy white head with fair retention. Heavy, clinging lacing.

S: Big piney floral hops with a light, lasting cirtussy pinch.

T: Bready malts. Long, lingering floral hop flavor that coats the mouth and tongue.

M: Big beer; fills and coats the mouth. Carbonation is there but won't cut the lingering floral hops.

D: Lingering coating mouthfeel keeps me wanting morer, but 7.5% abv cautions me to savor and enjoy.

I had this at the brewery - I tried 5 beer, and all of them were well done. I had another at the rib joint in Aspen...oh yeah, goes great with bbq.

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%

An amazing offering from such a young brewery. It is a gorgeous beer - bright, radiant amber with a fluffy white head that falls to good lacing. The smell is near perfect - a blast of piny and grassy hops, like a walk in the alpine forests of Aspen. The flavor is huge, vast mouthfuls of piny and herbal hops. The mouthfeel is nicely clingy and viscous, fixing that piny finish to your mouth. This is a star, well worth the trip to the brewery and a worthy competitor in a state already saturated with great brewers.

Update: I am taking a second pass at this beer on a subsequent trip to Colorado (February of 2010) and I still think it is an excellent beer, but I am reconsidering my review slightly (I'm gonna drop it to a mere A, I believe). Either this beer has gotten hoppier or my tastes have shifted in the last 18 months. I find the aroma and taste so overwhelming that it becomes a palate killer. It is a delicious beer, but too intense for an enjoyable session beer, yet such a blast to the tongue that it is hard to shift to a lighter-character beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Independence Pass Ale I.P.A. from Aspen Brewing Co.