Brett Barrel Aged Saison | Aspen Brewing Co.

3.98/5

Aspen Brewing Co.
Colorado, United States
aspenbrewingcompany.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by Fatehunter on 01-12-2013

Reviews by Fatehunter:
4.31/5  rDev +8.3%

I bought this as part of their gift pack of three bombers, two glasses, coasters and stickers.
Then head on a cloudy, light straw colored body.
The aroma is lemon, yeast, banana, some other fruits. Very bright.
The taste is complex, but still on the lighter side despite the higher ABV. There's some red wine flavor to it, but I can't place it. It's fruity, some lemon.
Light body, moderate carbonation.
A really great smelling and tasting drink. Get some if you can find it.

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

3.99/5  rDev +0.3%

4.19/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I didnt take note on the vintage but I strongly believe this was a 2012 bomber. I did however see on the bottle that this was aged in wine barrels with brett. Generously sent my way by BA smoked. Thanks buddy!

The pour is a clear golden yellow with a white frothy head that fades leaving spotty lace on the glass. The smell is lemony lactic and mildly vinous mixing with earthy brett. As its swirled it gets a cheesy with funk.

The taste is surprisingly clean and sharp with lemon essence blending to vinous wine barrel flavors. Somewhat herbal and earthy with that previously mentioned stinky yogurt to cheesiness but still very enjoyable.

This is light bodied and modestly carbonated. I could have killed the bomber myself but instead it was shared. For a brew that I otherwise never heard of or would have been able to try, this was really impressive. Thanks again Dan!

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

2012 Version.

This rating is actually based on the last bottle I drank six months ago. Had vanilla, and wonderful slight tart, bretty character to it.

This one on the other hand has fully succumbed to the brett. Very dry, little other flavors other than some citrus (muted).

Glad we drank the rest of these six months ago - saved one to see what would happen (was hoping for more sour).

Was a wonderful beer. Hopefully they do more of this as it lasted for years in storage with improvement.

4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Brett Barrel Aged Saison from Aspen Brewing Co.