Redhook ESB | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook ESBRedhook ESB

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Brewed in the style of a traditional British ESB (Extra Special Bitter), we’ve been making ESB continuously since 1987, and it’s now the benchmark for the Amber beer category. Despite having “bitter” in its name, Redhook ESB is really not that bitter at all. This brew is all about the balance of caramel malt sweetness completed by spicy, citrusy hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,121 |  Reviews: 877

A revelation when I first tasted this in college in the 80's. And to think the brewery (then) was a few blocks from my grandmother's house in Ballard area was so cool....especially compared to the other local choices in town (Rainier, Oly, Lucky, Henry's, Killian's) at the time. This has been my standard baseline taste profile by which other IPA/DIPA/ESB's are judged in my experience. Really not too bitter for regular IPA drinkers (maybe for lager-hounds), but I believe it is perfectly balanced... really close in profile to Sierra Nevada and Schubros 680... oh...and Go Cougs!

4.99/5  rDev +46.3%

I'm new to Beer Advocate since I just turned 21. I live in woodinville,wa where Redhook has a big brewery so I've been waiting to legally try them out for a long time. I really like the EBS By Redhook. Nice beer to sip and relax, I buy them in pints and will go through the pint in about 35 to 40 mins. It has a warm bitter taste with just the right amount of boldness. A very smooth beer but not creamy. I highly recommend this beer. Only $2.69 for a pint of good beer, it's pretty much a steal!

4.96/5  rDev +45.5%

4.79/5  rDev +40.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +39.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bought this the other day because I really dig ESB's I was a little skeptical being that it's an American made beer, in the past the American ESB's have been a little flat or not as tasty. I'm really glad I tried this one because it lives up to the way ESB's should be, it has that nice malty smell, that nice malty taste with full flavor and a hint of hops that gives it that nice bite. I am very happy that I tried this brew.

4.6/5  rDev +34.9%

Probably the best mass-produced bitter easily found here in the states. You can get it pretty much at any supermarket or liquor store on the west coast. I guess they call themselves a micro-brewery even though they have a nation-wide distribution. A very good brew--its actually my default when I don't feel like being experimental or if I'm at the local ralph's.

For some reason it's not rated too well here and I have a few ideas on why that might be the case. It is nothing unique, that is for sure, and there are many better beers to be had. However, I strongly feel that the popularity of this beer is a huge step in the right direction for the state of beer consumption in the US. In a country where Bud and the Silver Bullet reign supreme, for a beer like this to become so popular and have such a wide distribution is really quite significant.

4.56/5  rDev +33.7%

This is one of my favorite beers! Delivers smooth and finishes with a crisp not too bitter finish. Caramel in color and toasty in taste. Easy to have more than one every time they're in the fridge!

4.56/5  rDev +33.7%

4.54/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

4.53/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +32.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Sorry to buck the trend but I find this to be a special ESB. Great balance among flavor (caramel), alcohol and hops. And available all year long. Not like some brews for which you have to wait several months. This beer leaves those amber lagers in the dust.

Redhook ESB from Redhook Ale Brewery