Redhook ESB | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook ESBRedhook ESB

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB)

Brewed in the style of a traditional British ESB (Extra Special Bitter), we’ve been making ESB continuously since 1987, and it’s now the benchmark for the Amber beer category. Despite having “bitter” in its name, Redhook ESB is really not that bitter at all. This brew is all about the balance of caramel malt sweetness completed by spicy, citrusy hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-30-2001

Ratings: 2,107 |  Reviews: 871
Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

1.25/5  rDev -63.5%

1.37/5  rDev -59.9%

Looks okay, smells okay -- but has a strange diacetyl taste and sticky, dry finish that is just unpleasant.

1.5/5  rDev -56.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.64/5  rDev -52%

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass

Pours a lightly caramel brown color. 3/4 of a finger's worth of offwhite head. I'm struggling to say much of anything about this beer's appearance. It's utterly generic. If you go into Microsoft Word's library of ClipArt and search for "beer" you will find a picture of this beer.

Have you ever smelled bread sitting on the counter, from like two rooms away? That's what this beer smells like. It's dominantly bready in the most boring way possible: subtly and distantly. If you sniff very hard you can make out a flutter of peanut shell and a wink of musty hops. But this is bread central and it is so utterly boring because of it.

Finishing this bottle is going to be a chore because I am rapidly falling asleep while drinking it. Here's a bad sign as to how boring and underdeveloped this flavor profile is: I can taste the water. Redhook ESB has notes of bread, nuts, an insultingly low percentage of bitterness, and yes, mineral water. This is an utterly benign ale that the English would be embarrassed to see labeled as an ESB. Watery flavor begets watery mouthfeel. This beer is Paper Mario-thin.

Overall: this beer's existence caused the London riots.

1.75/5  rDev -48.8%

1.75/5  rDev -48.8%

1.76/5  rDev -48.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Little head that dissipated quickly into a light copper color. Actually looked pretty attractive and drinkable, but alas. . .then I tasted it.

Perhaps I didn't take a good enough whiff, but all I could smell was malt with no aroma of hops at all. I had to give it 'average' because the smell wasn't awful, but it wasn't great either.

In my opinion, this is the worst tasting beer I have ever had. I typically like these extra special bitter-type beers, but either I had a bad bottle or it normally tastes this metallic. Slight hoppy taste, but hardly anything. I can see where people would like this type of flavor, but it really did nothing for me. It was a stuggle drinking the entire glass.

Mouthfeel is watery at best; nothing I can really boast about

Again, I appreciate where the brewers are coming from making this type of beer, but once I got about 75% of the way through I honestly didn't even want to finish it. The taste was too much for me and I don't plan on trying this again out of a bottle. I am still willing to get this on tap as I may have just had a bad bottle - as long as someone else is willing to pay :-)

1.8/5  rDev -47.4%

I had had this beer b4, so shame on me 4 getting it again...I was looking for a 12-pack, and this was the only thing that caught my I. it is NOT an ESB! I don't know what it is...maybe a bad honey brew or something...? It has no bitterness whatsoever. RH's IPA is terrible too, so stay clear of their beer! I love true ESBs, so if anyone knows any good ones that I can get in New England, please let me know thanks!

1.89/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer has a pleasant, clear coppery-amber color in the glass, but this translates far too literally into a flavor suggestive of a red tea steeped with grubby--here I echo previous reviewers-- pennies. On top of this odd and utterly unrewarding metallic flavor, it is sweet, with an overbearing, unintegrated sweetness like a shot of molasses added at the end of brewing. I think I have liked other beers by these guys, Summer Rye, in particular, but this is one of the worst beers by a major brewer I have had. Bad batch?

Redhook ESB from Redhook Ale Brewery