Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 26
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.39/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Seems everybody is doing these “light IPAs” lately, and Red Hook’s entry into the sweepstakes pours a cloudy golden, with nice white head of carbonation and attractive lace.

Nose is lively citrus and floral hops. Very appealing.

Taste is a pleasing mix of hoppy citrus and, well, hoppy citrus. Bitterness comes in at the finish. This may not be a complex “session IPA”, but I find it quite enjoyable and a perfect tonic for hop-heads. And kudos to Red Hook for getting this one down to a ridiculously low 4.0% ABV. I dig it.

2.92/5  rDev -19.1%

4.21/5  rDev +16.6%

To date this is my most favorite Red Hook offering. I found it by chance and was very happy I did so. The beer pours the normal, yellow-beer color with a light head. It does have good staying power though and very nice lacing down the glass. What blew me away though was the smell - it was absolutely fabulous. There was distinct scents of cherry and apple mixed in with just hints of the normal citrusy odors such as orange and lime - the whole mix was very fruity. The feel it put out was tangy but not overpowering, quite a bit of carbonation but not so much to take away from the taste. Speaking of which, the taste was mostly citrus - none of the apples or cherries I smelled. Overall, I guess this beer proves a point for me since I'm not a huge IPA type, but I do appreciate it when I come across a good one, light or not.

3.34/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I am continuing to winnow away at the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody as the cellar brings forth forgotten beers for my enjoyment. Tomorrow is New Super Beer Bowl Sunday & big plans are in the offing, plus it will be Day 3 of 3 of the Spring House Tap Room's 5th Anniversary celebration. The traditional gift is wood & Bro. Wood(y) has been in attendance + I brought a bouquet of daisies (the traditional flower) which adorn the bar.

From the bottle: "Secret Stash Series"; "A hoppy light IPA. Kind of like Slim Chance, if he had done more 12oz curls."

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a gentle pour as is my current wont. A vigorous swirl raised a brief finger of soapy, bone-white head that quickly fell back to wisps. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a definite grapefruit-citrus quality, but I remained wary, having been let down by aroma hops in the past. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was muted, but citrusy, which is better than I was expecting. I know that there is a market for session beers, and especially IPAs, but I ain't part of it. All that this was doing for me was making my hops monkey screech & howl. Grrrr. Finish was semi-dry, citrusy, but just not my bag.

3.77/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm having this as a nightcap- less ABV, more water. A moderate pour from a longneck into a shaker produces a billowy and semi-sticky head. The beer is a very pale golden with light carbonation.

The aroma is floral and piney, fairly pleasant. The flavor is likewise piney, with some light malt underlying everything. A slight bit of caramel flavor and some cracker-like flavors in the malt. The mouth feel is a bit spritzy, and definitely quenching. The aftertaste is pretty clean, with a bit of lingering floral characters in the burps. It grows on you as you sip it. I think it hydrates a little.

This would be a good hot weather brew, or for lunch. My only objection is the name- what the hell does India have to do with this? This is a light, hoppy American pale ale.

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Fat Chance Light IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.