Redhook Winterhook | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Regardless of whether you spend your winter months on the slopes, shoveling your driveway or just hiding out, Redhook Winterhook is a great way to chase off the winter chill. This year will be our 27th consecutive release of Winterhook. The recipe changes slightly every winter because nobody likes getting the exact same Holiday present year after year. Redhook’s 27th brew of Winterhook has roasted chocolate notes that smooth out the quick, spicy hop finish. The rich body and nutty, malty backbone make this winter ale slighty naughty and very nice.

Added by Todd on 10-08-2003

3.77/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz bottle poured into a room-temp pint glass.

A- Dark amber-red color, clean and clear. A few bubbles rising. Barely a one-finger head, tan, that fades quickly to a thin film leaving vey little lace.

S- Last of the bunch, so I let it warm a little to bring out a holiday bready smell. Cinnamon raisin toast, or babka, fresh, yeasty, spicy and fruity. Some faint hops.

T- Caramel malts dominate, some sugar and spice. Hops are well hidden.

M- A little thin and fizzy. Lingering hop bitterness to finish.

O- Winterhook comes in a cool bottle, it's a cool warmer, so to speak. The 45 ibus don't come on too strong, making it easy drinking. Nice.

4.2/5  rDev +17.6%

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap poured into a Winterhook pint glass. It pours a deep brownish-red with one finger of head. There is a large amount of lacing left on the glass. The smell is fairly malty, a little sweet, with just a note of hops. The smell is a little weak on this one. The taste is fairly malty at first, with bits of pepper and nutmeg present. The finish is very hoppy. Almost no aftertaste is left behind. The mouthfeel is just a little light, but the drinkability is fairly nice. I could down a few of these on this cold winters night.

3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

12-oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled 101007.

A = Clear amber color, small head made up of smallish bubbles, light lacing.

S = Light notes of roasted malt, hay, very slight spice aromas. I like the smell but it does not seem like that of a winter ale but really more like a normal American pale ale. At that it is perhaps a little too subdued, but pleasant, I give it above average because I consider average to be pretty much unremarkable, not bad, not good. This is good, just not much of a punch.

T = Taste is pretty average. I could not really detect much reason that this would be classified a Winter Ale. I detect VERY slight hints of nutmeg and cinnamon, at least I think I do, there is some sort of spice but it is so light, I even question exactly what it is I am tasting. As a straightforward ale, it is definitely drinkable but not exceptional in any way.

M = Very smooth mouthfeel. Medium body and the carbonation seemed like it was building up but when I swallowed I had a smooth even liquid not an explosive gas explosion.

D = I wasn't sure where to score this in terms of drinkability. If your measure is whether it is exceptional enough that you would look forward to having it again, I would give it at best an average rating. If you want to know is it good enough that you could drink it all night without complaints, it is perfectly fine and I would give it at least a good rating. In the end I came out in between. I will probably have this again and would pick it over many other beers available, but in the end it just isn't special enough for me rate it too much above average.

3.74/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a brilliant, golden amber in color into a Libby pint. Billowy off white head subsides after a minute or so, leaving a touch of lace. A consistency of aromatic usage seems to be key here, as the same elements interact through both the aroma and taste profile: roasted malt, biscuity malt, lime-citrusy hops, and yeast. Hop use is very well-done, dynamic even, and I could smell this from a couple of yards off! I half expected a hop-harvest/fresh hop ale (Hoptoberfest with the wrong tap handle?) but sure enough it has the right name afffixed to the keg and tap handle. To be honest I wasn't expecting a yeast character from this after years of go-rounds with the brand, but sure enough there's an ale-yeast character at play here and it seems fitting. Carbonation is spot-on in a bar that must've just had its lines cleaned as well (the rest of the place -which shall remain nameless- needs a lick of paint : ) Body seems thin for the style but mouthfeel is good overall, and allows the hops to all-but dominate this brew. A little bit of tanginess here and a little bit nutty, but this is not as 'warming' as some winter warmers, which makes it quite drinkable.

Before I typed this I found several listings for a Redhook brew by this name, and sure enough there have been changes: the darker and more robust offering I remember enjoying for a handful of years (more akin to their Blackhook porter in heft and mouthfeel) seems to have been retired along with the old stubby bottles, but I enjoy this new recipe just the same. For my money Winterhook is still the best offering from Redhook: too bad it isn't a year round offering!

Very nice pour and cascading head that settles after a while. Great lace and retention. Body is a clear amber/red topped with a tan head.
Grass and hops up front in the nose with undertones of slightly spiced molasses, well balanced. Warming malt sensation.
Burnt hay and bitter citrus on the palate. Malts do not really come forth until the aftertaste hits, which is a pleasant lingering burnt hoppiness mellowing out to molasses and spiced slight brown sugar.
Good mouthfeel and coating. Pretty good drinkability, ABV will get to you which is proper for a winter warmer.

-Oelergud

3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz short bottle. Bottled-on date clearly printed on bottom of front label.

Pours a nice, deep copper-brown. An off-white head rings and stays. Smell is chiefly brown sugar. Taste is a bitter affair, in a good way - pleasant mild hops, and the underpinning acrid nuttiness of a brown ale. Feel is tight and tart, with ginger coming into presence. Finishes with a metallic and grapefruit aftertaste. Overall, a decent winter warmer, that I'm thankful isn't slamming me over the face with spices.

3.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

12oz bottled on 10-03-05 poured into a pint glass.

Clear, reddish brown with a good head of light tan. Good retention with sheeted lace.

The nose has toasty caramel a touch of spice, (coriander?) and a light piney hop aromas. Not very bold or complex.

The taste is unfortunatly, restrained as well. The same malts are upfront with a touch of the spice, then there's a blank spot followed by a generic hop bitterness. Dry finish. I think the blank spot was where the body was supposed to be. Despite the light mouth its sessionable, but boring at that.

3.75/5  rDev +5%

3.82/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing this #30 way late but I lucked out because it is still so good. If it was going to be nasty because i let it age too long, I was just going to wait until WH #33 came out to review it.

Very pinkish copper-amber, semi-opaque. Head of fluffy, foamy, chunky, well-retaining golden tan. Decent lacing. Aromas of resin, leather, a little gingerbread, and just a pinch of dark or caramelized fruit. Palate definitely has a caramel and slight dark fruit backdrop, but the hops and spices all but overwhelm these, with a burst of dankness, leaf matter, a handful of nondescript winter spices, and extreme peppercorn well before retro-olfaction. Medium to nearly full in body, well-carbonated enough to not seem overly thick, soft suds at first, but prickles by the finish at a standard drinking pace. Mildly astringent.

3.62/5  rDev +1.4%

I talked to a representative from the brewery and they told me that Winterhook was Red Hook's "experimental" beer, and that they do something different every year. She told me that this year's concoction was a hoppier version of years past with some different flavors thrown in. So I did what any defenseless man conversing with an attractive young woman would do, I took her advice and bought a six-pack. After I tried one she was right about the hops....they were everywhere, smell and taste. Now I'm not complaining but the supposed "other flavors" I couldn't find. I seemed to me this beer was nothing more than a fine crafted micro-brew pale ale with some roasted malt thrown in for a nice dark color. Not a bad choice but there are better Red Hook beers out there.

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle from a "Redhook Greatest Hits" box at a Christmas party.

Bronze color with red-orange highlights. Great color. Head retains somewhat. I normally don't like the smell (or taste) of hops, but the hop smell in this was very appealing to me. There is also a citrusy smell here, slightly fruity. Tastes of malts and spices, with some fruity tones present. Its a great blend and a great tasting beer. Average mouthfeel, not to thin, not to watery.

For being a hoppy beer, I really enjoyed this, and I can't say that of other hoppy beers (that aren't IPA's). I was very impressed with my first exposure to Redhook brewery.

3.68/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 9 29 04. Pours a deep ruby brown (28.9 SRM) with tan head that drops to a halo that unsuccessfully attempts to lace the Rastal sniffer. Aroma of nutty roasted malts with some fruity esters and Northern Brewer and Cascade hops is very inviting. Taste from combination of two different malts: Carmel 50/60 from England and a Munich malt provide a satisfying but some what surprizing balance for the hops (listed as 29.2 IBUs). Nice bitterness in aftertaste.

3.64/5  rDev +2%

Pours a deep red amber with a big llasting acey off-white head. Sweet on the malts and light on the hops. The balance is spot on. Mouthfeel is very smooth. The strength barely shows through. Certainly amoung the better beers by Redhook. Not over the top in flavor, but very eaasy to drink.

3.25/5  rDev -9%