Redhook Winterhook | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Regardless of whether you spend your winter months on the slopes, shoveling your driveway or just hiding out, Redhook Winterhook is a great way to chase off the winter chill. This year will be our 27th consecutive release of Winterhook. The recipe changes slightly every winter because nobody likes getting the exact same Holiday present year after year. Redhook’s 27th brew of Winterhook has roasted chocolate notes that smooth out the quick, spicy hop finish. The rich body and nutty, malty backbone make this winter ale slighty naughty and very nice.

Added by Todd on 10-08-2003

2.96/5  rDev -17.1%

Date on bottle: 10/19/2010

Aroma: Malty. Caramel, pear

Appearance: Pours finger and half off-white head. Nice lacing. Dissipates slowly. Amber golden color. A few floaties.

Flavor: Yeasty. Caramel, Apple, Pear and a touch of Vanilla. Medium high bitterness. Light harshness possibly from bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. High carbonation. Alcohol present.

Overall: At almost 6% this did not age well. Would like to try a fresher version.

3.54/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.44/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The first thing you notice on this beer is the gorgeous pour. A rich, dark-medium brown with many bubbles which move more slowly than usual, probably because of the relatively high gravity. Develops a finger of head or so which dissapates quickly leaving only a thin sheen. Sadly the appearance is the high point, but the beer is pretty good overall.

Initial smell is something like grass clippings, burnt popcorn and gasoline, but I mean that in the best possible way. Maybe a tinge of cigar smoke as well. Is doesn't smell much, but it doesn't smell bad either.

Taste is difficult to pin down. Initially a bit sour, quickly sweetening up with the malt and then finishing with the carbonation and a small kick of hops. The hops lingers, as does the feeling of having just taken a sip of ale.

The mouthfeel is thick and a little heavy, really pretty nice depending on what you're after. Lingers a bit longer than I'd like, but that's just preference.

Overall I'm sorry to say that the beer is good but not great. Would I drink it? Oh yeah. Two? Sure. As many as you've got? Probly. All I'm saying is that there are better ales out there for the money. Either pony up the extra $1 for Sierra Nevada or grab some Redhook IPA. Ok, maybe buy this one once and see if it does it for you.

4.25/5  rDev +19%

Overall, a nice beer to have throught the winter months (as the name would suggest) Bready, spicy aroma with somewhat of a fruited undertone. Appears a ruddy brown color, seems to glow under bar room lighting. Hints of spices are laced throughout the breadiness of this beer. Overall, for a winter "heavier" beer, its incredibly easy to drink. Could session it. Great beer to try, would be a hit even with not craft brew afficianados.

3.72/5  rDev +4.2%

3.5/5  rDev -2%

4.25/5  rDev +19%

3.31/5  rDev -7.3%

this is a good winter warmer especially on these dreary winter rainy and sometimes snowy days here in the willamette valley, not one of my favorite winter beers, not as smooth as some of the others that I have tasted.

the color is a deep nutty color, not quite as dark as some of the other winter ales I have sampled this year.

hints of mocha and maybe caramel, but it is sometimes hard for me to distinguish.

There is malt I think. and the hops are not overbearing.

3.87/5  rDev +8.4%

I started drinking this at my local watering hole since the other options aren't much better (bud, miller, Mich., and other various macros), however I was really impressed with this season's Winter brew ... especially the nose.
It pours a nice rich amber with a very thin white head. Depending on the cleanliness of the glassware (which is usually 50/50 at my local dive) it usually leaves a nice Belgian lace down the side of the glass.
The nose is a wonderfully sharp citrus that really gets one's senses going. It's a bit of a tease though since the taste and mouthfeel are much less satisfying than the nose would leave one to believe.
It has a smooth taste with little or no spice, which makes me wonder how this is truly considered a winter warmer other than the fact that it comes out at ... you guessed it, wintertime. I would say the best description of its taste is a more full bodied lager.
The mouthfeel is a bit watery (though this could be due to the bar's tap system) and the carbonation is not shooting up the glass as I've seen with other brews.
Though not as complex as other winter styles, this is an "old faithful". If your bar doesn't offer anything too interesting this is always a good call. I like to pair this one up with a nice side of Rye to get me through the cold weather ... it matches nicely.

4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

A: Deep clear amber with a thick off-white head.

S: Spicey, piney hops, as well as some sweet caramel.

T: Sweet caramel noticed first, then toasted grains. Hops flavor with slight bitternes in the finish. Nice balance.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation.

D: Smooth, well balanced beer. No harshness present. Easy to drink.

4.02/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer pours a lovely dark copper color with a small head that leaves little lace. Smells malty with spice, like a winter warmer should Tastes the same. Strong malt flavor followed by the spices. But not too spiced like the Widmer Brrr....Winterhook is balanced perfectly. Very good beer, albeit a bit on the thin side. An easy drinking beer. Very good stuff.

2.6/5  rDev -27.2%

dark ruby beer with only a few little bubbles on the edges, wanting to be at least a small head. aroma is of sharp malts. taste is flat, a rush of bitterness with a similar finish, and a mildly sweet aftertaste. rather one dimensional. mouthfeel is a bit flat and thin. there is just a bit of that "english ale" taste wanting to get out, but it's far in the background, along with a smidge of dark cherry.
i'd recommend grabbing something better.

3.75/5  rDev +5%

3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

When I lived in Seattle, I drank a heck of a lot of Redhook. At the time, they were operating a brewery down in Fremont, so I always considered them local to a degree. Winterhook was a pretty standard beer for me during the colder months and I remember liking it quite a bit.

That said, now that I'm living in Mass. and trying the 2006 Winterhook, I have to say that the shine seems to have come off the apple, so to speak.

Appearance is distinctly ice tea-esque. Clearer than a winter should be if you want to ask my opinion. I know they filter this stuff, but this is overly clear. Almost no head to speak of either, even though I made a point of pouring it vigorously.

Smell is ok. Hops are predominant, but there's a slightly carmel sweetness underlying.

Hops are larger in the mouth than I remember them being in this 2006 version of Winterhook. I remember a much more spicy, malty brew than what I have here. It's not bad, but it's not great either. Relatively well balanced considering the large hop nose.

Mouthfeel is smooth, but with some degree of wateryness considering the style.

While it's not my favorite beer, I could drink a few of these in a sitting with no problem. In fact, I've been known to do just that. In fact, I may very well do that right now...

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

A decent ale but slightly below average for a winter brew. Very drinkable but otherwise uneventful. Nothing really stands out in the way of winter additives of typical spices. Slightly hoppy and bright on the top end, finishes with a bit of zing. Decent head and lacing. A very brash pour caused a huge 2 inch head but it held its own and brought itself down quick. This is a very drinkable beer but definitely not best in class. Go with CBC winter Warmer or Great Lakes Christmas Ale (best in class).

3.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured a rich amber-red, with a one-finger light brown foamy head that dissipated almost immediately. Just a skiff of foam was left on top.

The aroma is full of pine hops and a sweet malt underbelly. Nicely balanced and enticing. I really like the smell on this one. Not too aggressive, but very appealing.

A touch of malt sweetness hits first, but is quickly overcome by hop bitterness. The taste is not as appealing as the aroma, but it's still very nice. The hops here retain the pine character, and are a bit woody in the finish. Nice bitter aftertaste, and a touch of warmth from the alcohol.

It's pleasant on the palate - not light, certainly, but not a big full-bodied beer, either.

This is really, really nice. I'll be coming back to this one, and not just for winter.

3.11/5  rDev -12.9%

The appearance was a very nice reddish brown color; clear, with a moderate head.

I did not notice much of an aroma, maybe a little hops.

There is a definite hop bitterness to this beer but not as bitter as an IPA. The flavor is a spicy earthy taste that is interesting. I'm not sure about it, but I went back for another one.

The mouthfeel is good, not overly carbonated. My overall impression is that it is a decent representation of a winter ale, something you could drink while watching football.

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: Dark brown with a slight reddish hue. Good carbonation with a solid head and slight lacing.

Aroma: Slight caramel, slight malt. Almost picked up a slight oxidized note. I assume that it is due to the age of this beer so I will not take this into account in rating. Not much aroma, however.

Taste: Tastes of slight malt with good green hop notes. Sharp bitterness notes with a little linger.

Mouthfeel: Very light crisp without much body. Carbonation is clean and crisp. I excepted alot more body in a winter warmer. I also expected alot more winter spice (cinnamon, allspice, etc)

Drinkablity: Not very close to the style guidlines but it is good and drinkable.

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%