Redhook Long Hammer IPA | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 1,218 | Ratings: 3,378
Reviews by BadRockBeer:
3.76/5  rDev +14.6%

Serving Type Sampled: 12 fl. oz. brown crown top bottle. Bottle has embossed Red hook mountain and some sort of embossed wheat or barley. Also features bottled on date.

Appearance: This is a real beautiful pint. Gold in color, slight chill haze. Great 2½ finger, fluffy beige head. Diminished into a real tight lace that slides all the way down the glass.

Smell: Sweet malt, caramel, pine needles and grapefruit.

Taste: Definitely grapefruit, not only do I taste it but I get the same acidic bitterness. There is a slight sweetness but nothing over powering. I taste crystal malt which is rather pleasant. Finishes with more hops of the piney flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium in body, medium carbonation.

Drinkability: good, at 6.5% ABV you probably can’t have too many but this is a good example of style. Very clean and refreshing.

1.9/5  rDev -42.1%

Had this today on tap @ Hibernia in Boston.

Diacetyl? In an IPA? I think not. And what's with the low hop profile and mega-sweetness of this beer? My pint was quite cloudy too.

Beer drinkers of the world ... this is not an IPA, and it's a pretty crappy beer to boot.

I found this to be a strange and bland IPA.

The appearance is transparent boring gold. An okay white head with minor lacing. The scent is weak musty moss and straw. Some hop smells linger but do not stand out at all.

The flavors are dry fruit hops. I cannot place the fruit flavor. It is sort of a citrus and berry combination. There is a grain flavor that I do not think belongs here. Not much hop bite and the malts are weak and bland. This IPA does not have any direction.

A watery quality to the mouthfeel at first. Then if felt as if my mouth was about to dry up. I am not impressed. A clean crispness adds to drinkability but I can think of many other IPA's I would rather drink than this one. I am glad I only bought a single bottle.

3.07/5  rDev -6.4%

I just reviewed a very average pilsner rated over 3.5 on BA and then come to find Long Hammer rated under 3.3 on BA??? Yes, long hammer is an average IPA, but I can buy a pint can for 1.49 at my local gas station. And if my local brewery made an IPA this good, I'd be in there twice a week instead of twice every six months. If you live in Portland or Asheville you might never have a reason to drink this beer. For the rest of us, it's not a bad option if your local IPA options are limited.

3.16/5  rDev -3.7%

Had this one on tap at my local 99 Restaurant & Pub. Big ass 25 oz mug at that. Some old lady in the booth next to me was whooping and hollering that I was drinking a mug of beer the size of my head. Needless to see I almost had beer come through my nose out of sheer laughter. Any way … back to the beer.

Real nice lacing and it actually left rings down the glass, perfect clarity off of a pale golden yellow colour. Faint aroma of esters and grain. A bit buttery in the mouth with more alcoholic esters, odd fruitiness and flavourless hop bitterness left me wondering where the IPA is. Dry, pale and well … weak maltiness. Not a bad flavour but somewhat bland.

It was fine to wash down some steak tips and sides but not a beer I’d drink alone just for the sake of drinking beer.

3.96/5  rDev +20.7%

My go to beer. An afordable IPA that has the Pine notes I look for. Certainly not the best IPA but if you want an easy to drink afordable IPA with a hint of pine, this is the beer for you.

3.69/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

reminds me more of old school British IPA before the market went crazy for high hops and abv values
form a 1 pint can for $1.69 that alone makes this a good choice

looks crystal clear golden color good head retention
smell grassy citrus with malt
taste slight caramel with hoppy notes. not overly hoppy for abv more of a pale ale level
feel medium mouth feel
overall - for $1.69 you can not go wrong. same price as a bud 16 oz can but infinitely better. A good go to beer

3.4/5  rDev +3.7%

Average. Average ipa. Average beer. Wait. Bomber can be found nationwide for 2.50? I buy this out of spit for beer snobs. This beer is fucking tasty and cheap. Think. Tasty hops nothing fancy and cheap. That 11.99 bomber of Clown Shoes goes real well with this. It's a filler beer. Like Budweiser for beer aficionados. Sometimes you just want more hops and you don't want them to kick your face. Aftertaste is a bit off but for 2.50 I have no fucks left to give in terms of discrediting this beer. Great choice every time. Never amazing. Always great.

3.85/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A – Hazy gold brew poured from short neck 12oz bottle into standard pint glass. Minimal head, minimal lacing, minimal carbonation.

S – Hops and citrus. Standard IPA with perhaps a few additional citrus notes. Grapefruit? I’m getting grapefruit and lemon peel.

T – Really nice. IPA style bitter without it being a bitter nightmare. Very, very decent.

M – Clean, crisp. Typical IPA. Just like the typical IPA, the flavor lingers a little. In this case, it’s not a bad thing.

D – Let me be the first to admit, I’m not a huge fan of this style. This is mainly because it has been somewhat popularized and co-opted by individuals with unruly facial hair and expensive retro clothing. With that being said, this beer is actually very drinkable. Second, I’ve never been a fan of 6%+ beers save imperial styles and the like, though this beer shines at 6.2%. Third, I’d really love to hate this beer as it is a macro and BA members despise anything macro even if it’s a good beer (unless it’s imported). I don’t. In fact, there are about a dozen reasons why I shouldn’t like this beer but I do! Weird. All in all, really good beer. Solid 3.75+

3.78/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It is easy to smash his beer if you are a true aficionado. That said, not a half-bad session IPA. I grabbed a double-deuce in a gas station on the way to a baseball game. Right next to the Schlitz and Olde English. Under the right circumstances, and price conditions ($1.50), this beer can be a pleasant surprise and a welcome find for a beer snob just looking for one more drink and listening to some Grateful Dead. The key is to temper your expectations.

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

12oz bottle. I had this a few years ago during my introduction to West Coast IPAs - methinks I've learned a lot since.

This beer pours a clear, pale golden yellow colour, with lots and lots of bubbly, rocky, and thinly foamy white head, which leaves a pretty decent wall of drooping lace around the glass as it slowly melts away.

It smells of mild white grapefruit, musty pine needles, bready caramel malt, a waft of sugary nougat, and further leafy, perfumed hops. The taste is weedy, wet pine needles, indistinct citrus pith, further wan tropical fruit notes, a touch of sweet overripe lemon, and some understated grainy, bready malt sweetness.

The carbonation is on the low end of things, just a timid frothiness presiding, the body an adequate medium weight, a bit slick, but smooth enough. It finishes on the sweet side, the bready/caramel malt standing out over the still noticeably muddled and disorganized hops.

A very restrained, but still acceptable version of the style, most likely best served as an introduction to those unfamiliar with it, as I was, once. Easy to drink, and unassuming, something to kill when your taste buds and/or palate have already been.

3.48/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours an orange to light golden color with a finger of white head that falls to a very light, but full coat over top. Clarity is excellent and just a few bubbles from the bottom are present. There is more lacing left as the head recedes than I wold expect. Nose is very fresh, with a wet hop character to it. Behind this, there is a moderate caramel and toasty bread character with a hint of orangey and peppery hop. Smells nice, just not as bold as I want my AIPA's to be. Flavor starts as a very solid melanoidan infused toastyness, moving to more caramel sweetness with a light citrusy hop that transitions to a peppery hop, finishing with a moderate, but clean, bitterness. A slight metallic bite hits, but doesn't stay on too long. The feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. Good balance and feels about right. I'd still like to see a bit more brilliance from the hops. Its just lacking some of the pop that I like in American IPA's. Its not bad, just could become a better IPA with a different hop profile.

2.86/5  rDev -12.8%

How is this considered an IPA? I was working on an IPA gift basket and there was definately one that didn't quite fit. Thin head, not much lacing. Understated floral citrus and pine smell. This doesn't really taste bad, but It's not an IPA by any understanding I have of the deffinition. A regular APA is much more hoppy and full bodied than this. I'm not sure what category it falls into, but they put the wrong label on the bottle.

3.11/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a clear deep amber yellow, thin half finger head with minimal retention and some lacing, strings of bubbles from the carbonation are apparent.

Floral aroma with some resin and citrus, not over powerful in the nose but it could also be the pint glass I'm using.

Hop bitterness comes on pretty strong but drops off quickly, lemon pulp and floral notes start to become apparent but after the bitterness from the hops drops off everything else drops with it. Clean finish, feels like somethings missing...

Light in body, crisp and well carbonated fells a little watery at times.

Overall not a bad beer I was just left wanting some more flavor from it.

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

Photo of
4.75/5  rDev +44.8%

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.57/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "brewed on" date 1-19-15.

APPEARANCE: pours a cloudy, golden color with lots of suspended sediments floating about, less than one-finger off-white head that quickly dissipated until just a ring of small bubbles remained around the glass, medium carbonation, there is very little lacing on the glass.

SMELL: sweet caramel, grapefruit, bread and a little pine resin.

TASTE: initially sweet caramel then an understated grapefruit and pine resin hop burst that quickly faded from sight.

PALATE: medium carbonation but a little watery.

OVERALL: this is not a bad beer, it's got a more mild hop profile than most IPA's, there are so many better beers to choose from in this style so I will probably not buy this one again.

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.96/5  rDev -9.8%

3.27/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Clear Translucent golden color which pours a 1 1/2 finger off white head which provides some decent lacing as it dissipates on the side of the glass.

S - Light hop aroma with some grassy floral overtones. There is a sweet bread profile which includes a hint of malt on the back end. Pretty dry finish overall.

T - Not your typical IPA taste profile, this is more like an Extra Pale Ale than an IPA. This beer is too thin in taste and structure to call it an IPA.

M - Lighter than a traditional IPA, dry, crisp and a bitter taste from the finishing hops.

D - Pretty decent session beer but this should be labeled a Pale Ale vs. a traditional IPA

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery